FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things you wish you had before starting your build...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Things you wish you had before starting your build...

Hey everyone,

As the start of my build approaches I am curious about whether my shop has everything I need.

This isn't the first car I have built but it is the first kit car so I want to see if there was something you realized to late that you wish you had before the program even started.

On my wish list....Car Lift. I want one that can be used during repair and storage.

You guys have any brands you would recommend?

Some additional questions...

I am hoping someone has some plans for the custom dolly's that I see builders using to roll the body around?

How much of the body work can be done off the frame?

Thanks guys just like to get my ducks in order.
    Last edited by artistwantab; 12-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent time on a sofa with a mental health professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Spent time on a sofa with a mental health professional.
    Nothing like prescription drugs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wish that I had a suitable donor car before starting my build. Everything/anything can be purchased as you progress, so don't worry much about getting it all right now.

If I had to redo everything, I'd start with body work, and get it down to primer before moving onto the driveline/interior; it makes a hell of a mess!

My build has no real, "flow". It started as a used kit partially assembled, then moved to body work, now doing motor/transaxle. Next will be back to body work, and I'll need
    to cover everything before putting the shell back on.

I've used/owned a few hoists in my time, and the best bang-for-buck was a used 2 post Hydra-lift. Good weight capacity, easy install, and ceiling clearance wasn't bad.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    If I had to redo everything, I'd start with body work, and get it down to primer before moving onto the driveline/interior; it makes a hell of a mess!
    Really! I was thinking it needed to be built it from the ground up. I wasn't sure if you could do the body without it being on the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can do most of the body work on the frame, no problem there. I'm just saying, I wish I had completed all of the body
    work first, then moved onto the engine/transaxle install.

I'm basically going to clean-up three times, and have to wrap the entire cage, motor to keep the dust out.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking of getting this for a lift.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    You can do most of the body work on the frame, no problem there. I'm just saying, I wish I had completed all of the body
    work first, then moved onto the engine/transaxle install.

I'm basically going to clean-up three times, and have to wrap the entire cage, motor to keep the dust out.
    I would prefer to do the bodywork off the frame so that is great. It also means that I can get started on the body right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wish I had more money before I started. These things suck up money faster than I can earn it!

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by artistwantab View Post
    Hey everyone,

As the start of my build approaches I am curious about whether my shop has everything I need.

This isn't the first car I have built but it is the first kit car so I want to see if there was something you realized to late that you wish you had before the program even started.

On my wish list....Car Lift. I want one that can be used during repair and storage.

You guys have any brands you would recommend?

Some additional questions...

I am hoping someone has some plans for the custom dolly's that I see builders using to roll the body around?

How much of the body work can be done off the frame?

Thanks guys just like to get my ducks in order.
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    if we're talking about a gtm, it's best to have the suspension on the chassis, set to ride height, and align the body to fit the wheels/tires. there is quite a bit of info on ffcars site about bodywork/alignment issues. you'll want to check for halo/rollcage clearance also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    if we're talking about a gtm, it's best to have the suspension on the chassis, set to ride height, and align the body to fit the wheels/tires. there is quite a bit of info on ffcars site about bodywork/alignment issues. you'll want to check for halo/rollcage clearance also.
    Thank you! I see the issues posted here and other forum but wasn't sure how much was resolved with the new kit. I assumed the body would need to be lifted on and off the chassis at least a few times before final paint. I am just not sure how much could be done before the body is placed on the first time.

Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have gotten a compressor and rivet gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I wish I had more money before I started. These things suck up money faster than I can earn it!

Martin
    Amen to that. Two to three times what you think or estimate is usually enough.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMsomeday View Post
    I want one!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    where's the drink/beer holder?!

Post Thanks / Like
    The lift is definitely something that I wish I had in my garage. I've been keeping a eye out for a 4 post BendPak lift on eBay &/or craig's list. It would really help to get the car up in the air and be able to get underneath it for maintenance. GTM's are not easy to safely jack up to a level that you can get jack stands under them. You also have to be very careful when taking them back off the stands to get them back on the ground.

When you're done with building the car, you can also store one up and one below.

It would also be pretty cool to have some of CF's Carbon Fiber parts that he's creating for the GTM's interior. Door Panels, Dash, Console, etc.

Extra Money would have also been nice. I had what I thought was a fairly stout budget. Unexpected expenses (one in particular) blew that budget out 50% larger, and slowed my build considerably. It also took away most of my drive and motivation to get it finished. It'll get done, but I'll need to get through some anger and frustration in order to get back to the fun side of building this car. Maybe one day soon...

Oh yeah... A butt load of additional patience would have probably been nice... at least for me.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree on the lift. Seems lots of people get them after the car is nearly done or done. I will get one in the spring.

I chose to customize lots of things and for that you need fabrication tools, but if you go by the book the only special tool would be a press. For me using old worn parts on a new car would be sad. That means replacing the suspension bushings and ball joints. Changing the ball joints would be a tough job without a press.

I refurbished many any of the old parts I used. A bead blaster is a great way to do that.

If you do your own bodywork you need those tools and a compressor.

If I could have more time that would be nice. I started my build 2 years ago with the plan to have it done in 8 months. IF I built it by the book and knew all the parts I needed I could have done it. When I do the second build, 8 months is very reasonable.

If you want to build it fast, make sure you have all the major parts: engine, transaxle, C5 parts on hand no later then a month after you get the kit.

As they say you can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick any two.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    This is where I bought my lift, (9kbp) five or six years ago and have had no problems with it.
    http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts

Post Thanks / Like
    Better expectations. It's been much longer than planned. I put an unrealistic (self imposed) time frame that made the build less enjoyable.

Now the big one!!!!! Do not prepay anyone. Do to the nature of my income I paid for the large items in advance, like paint. Since the money was paid and there was no "pot of gold" at the end of the job, it got pushed off again and again. I watched 4 large projects and countless insurance repairs come and go before mine. The problem, money was spent and now they needed to take out of their pockets to work on the car. Not only did it take 16 months from the time I dropped it off, there are some things I would have demanded be fixed before I paid, that I will now need to address later. It may very well have cost a relationship with a trusted painter/buddy as well. He is a great painter/bodyman and I would still recommend him, just would not prepay him. It was the single biggest mistake of this build. Live and learn I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kalstar, that may just be the best advice of all.

Noted and heeded.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need some basic metal working tools...there is a lot of cutting and grinding for fitment. I use a 4" grinder from Harbor freight and also another one with a cutoff wheel. A pneumatic pop rivet tool is a lifesaver. Finally a set of electric sheet metal shears is great. I end up making a lot of small brackets for things like fuel pump mounting, fuel filter, coil, etc. It's good to have an easy way to trim/fashion aluminum, and these tools are fairly cheap.
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMsomeday View Post

This made me laugh so much. Omg that would be amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is awesome guys. I was away for the new years so just got back and checked in.

Well the good news is other than the lift, pneumatic pop rivet and press I have everything.

@The Stig

Any model better than another.

@Kalstar

I learned that the hard way also with home repair. After I paid them they left the job incomplete and all the garbage for me to clean up. NEVER EVEY AGAIN.

@scottvette1989

What model?

Post Thanks / Like
    Artistwantab,

I like the BendPak 4 post lifts. Since these cars are so light, the 7000 capacity would be plenty. If you might be lifting large trucks, you may want to consider a larger lift capacity.

Good luck.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Artistwantab,

Just my 2 cents on the lift. I have a BendPak XPR-10A. Simply outstanding. I know some folks like the 4-post lifts - I'm a 2-post guy. I feel it affords much better access to everything under the car, easy suspension/brake work, just can't say enough. Yesterday I had to remove my GTM doors for the first time in about a year. I was having trouble pulling the hinge pins out from the top, so I lifted the car and was able to use a rod from underneath and tap them out. On a four post lift the tracks that the wheels ride on would have been directly in the way ... with the 2-post, no problemo!

And when I reassemble, I may put the hinge pins in from the bottom with the nut on top - may be easier to remove later.

Best of luck!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my 2 cents, but I'm a no lift kind of guy.

I've worked on cars for about 30 years now. Many of those years professionally, and I have never used a lift. I feel the acces to the vehicle is much better without a lift. That said, once the vehicle is done and you are doing maintainance work, I can totally see the benefits of the lift. There is another reason I may own one one day, but it isn't a "normal" reason. That mechanized creeper though would be VERY helpful.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    A 2 post lift is great for taking apart the Corvette! It took 3 hours to unbolt and disconnect everything (not counting pulling the radiator, intake, and hood, which I did a few days before), to lift the body up off the entire drivetrain, and then to split it apart into 4 suspension corner piles, and get the engine on a stand. For $1500, I have used mine hard for a number of years without any problems. Mine is a Eagle Equp. MTP-9A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Artistwantab,

Just my 2 cents on the lift. I have a BendPak XPR-10A. Simply outstanding. I know some folks like the 4-post lifts - I'm a 2-post guy.
    You're right about the 2 post lift allowing you more access to lower side of the car. If I were using it strictly for maintenance, I'd probably go the same route.

The main reason I want the 4 post lift is that I plan to use it to store my Model-A Ford above the GTM so I can park my wife's car in the Garage again... With the 2 post lift, the weight of the car on top would be resting on the frame. The 4 post lift lets the weight of the car rest on the tires. So, for me it makes much more sense store the cars on the tires rather than the frame.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but I'm a no lift kind of guy.

I've worked on cars for about 30 years now. Many of those years professionally, and I have never used a lift. I feel the acces to the vehicle is much better without a lift. That said, once the vehicle is done and you are doing maintainance work, I can totally see the benefits of the lift. There is another reason I may own one one day, but it isn't a "normal" reason. That mechanized creeper though would be VERY helpful.
    Crash remember your still young, you'll get past this, doing without a lift thing in a few more years
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    With the 2 post lift, the weight of the car on top would be resting on the frame. The 4 post lift lets the weight of the car rest on the tires. So, for me it makes much more sense store the cars on the tires rather than the frame.

Mike
    advatages both ways. if you store it on the 2 post, you are not flattening the tires on that spot, you are not leaving the springs compressed. will be fresh when you put it back on the ground. store it on the 4 post, you get to see what the car looks like at ride height from underneath. maybe, get both. you can store another car there too!!
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you saying that there is no concern with the car falling on a two post?

That would my preference. Easier to work around and other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying that there is no concern with the car falling on a two post?

That would my preference. Easier to work around and other.
    they are pretty stable if you set the arms correctly. If I was concerned about it falling at all I would not step under it to work. they do leave lots of room to work underneath.
    GTM #253 In Process

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i built a 2x4 and plywood dolly, 3 feet high, with locking casters to put my gtm on. it's easy to move by myself, and at a good height to work on during the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    i built a 2x4 and plywood dolly, 3 feet high, with locking casters to put my gtm on. it's easy to move by myself, and at a good height to work on during the build.
    Pics or Plans?

[email protected] if you can just send them here.

Thank you. I was looking for something like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mendo View Post
    they are pretty stable if you set the arms correctly. If I was concerned about it falling at all I would not step under it to work. they do leave lots of room to work underneath.
    That's what I figured but wasn't sure if it was something like a jack. Most of the time that's all you need but a jack stand gives additional security.

One other question regarding a lift. How many of you actually put it together yourself or is this something you hire someone to install?

Thanks.
    Last edited by artistwantab; 01-08-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put together and installed my lift, the hardest part to do alone was standing the posts up. Then you measure a few times, drill 10 holes into the concrete for the anchors, and bolt down the posts. Just make sure your concrete meets the specs for the lift (thickness and reinforcement) or make sure it gets poured that way. Overall, I'd say it is an easy job. It is tougher to get used to using one, as you often forget in the beginning that you don't have to bend over or crawl, just take the time to push the button and move the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithBoden View Post
    Just make sure your concrete meets the specs for the lift (thickness and reinforcement) or make sure it gets poured that way.
    I rent the space. Is there a way of finding that info out?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    a pic of the dolly i built, first day after pickup at ffr. simple yet effective. stable enough to work inside the car while on the dolly. casters were $100 at lowes. (heavy duty/locking) maybe closer to 2 1/2' talldoll 1.png
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 01-09-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I rent the space. Is there a way of finding that info out?
    The renter may know or have access to the specs for the building/floor. The manual for the MTP-9A says 4" minimum thickness, 3000 psi reinforced concrete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast