Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadster electrical experts?

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster electrical experts?

Anyone know of someone in the Phoenix, AZ area who can install a donor wiring harness into the Mk4 roadster? I'm contemplating getting the Factory 5 harness system for it's simplicity, but if there is someone in my area who will do it with the donor harnesses I already have for cheaper than purchasing a new one, I'm interested in paying to have it done....

Jon

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Save your self a ton of work and aggravation. Get a hold of these guys: http://www.wirediet.com They've done hundreds of wire diets and probably have one done just waiting to be shipped. They take yours in trade (I think) or may just diet yours to be sent back.

Anyway, it's worth talking with them.

I don't have any connection with them (I have a carb'ed car) but have seen their work.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Ron Francis harness. It is a great system. If you haven't already, you must strip all of the donor stuff (wire diet) before installing from the donor. Looked like a major job beyond my skill and patience, so I left that stuff on the Stang. It's not that hard to install the aftermarket harnesses. The RF has a really good manual and I'm sure the FFR does too. There are lots of threads on using the donor harness. Here is a good one.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...where-to-begin
    Whichever way you go, good luck and have lots of fun.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What's your motor setup? 302 / Mod motor? carb/Fuel Injected?

I used a Painless Harness (with way too many circuits) and a rebuilt engine harness from Chuck (Mustang Medic on FFCars, don't know if he's on here or not). His harness was great and definitely a good VALUE! Highly recommend.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will definitely take a look at their site, thanks! I too have a carb motor, so the engine harness is not my concern, it is all the other connections and un-needed junk on the donor harness I got out of the Mustang...what a mess!

Thanx again,
    Jon

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using a carb'ed motor and no computer, go with the Painless or Ron Francis harness.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    What Ray said. Why put that old harness in your car when your not using the engine section. Buy a painless or similar harness.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Without question, use the FFR/Ron Francis harness for a carbed car.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds unanimous...a no brainer for me now...thanx guys!

Jon