BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 33 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very good work, looks great, and your smile is not going away, this is what it is all about.

2. Thanks sturigus83 thanked for this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to make a body sling. This allowed me to use a 12V winch to raise and lower the body on the chassis. It works great. I am so glad Tony from FFR told me to bolt on as much as I can. The firewall had to come off about 5 times till I got the fit right to the body. I have been using 10-32 and 10-24 button head screws. I had to use rivnuts on the ls firewall to body due to the A/C. The rest I could use screws with washers and locknuts. All S/S from Totally Stainless. They are a good source for S/S hardware at a good price. Then after measuring about 100 times in about 20 differant places I finished attaching the body. I can't stress enough how you need to take you time and square up the body before drilling and mounting. Here is some photos.

DSC02869.jpgDSC02870.jpgDSC02871.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace. How do you like the quality of the kit. I originally looked at the 33 but then I saw the price of the 818 and that was more doable for me...also I was at a restoration shop in Philly last month picking up parts for a el camino I'm having done and they had a 33 there they were doing the body work for the owner on. And they weren't very happy with the fit and finish of the body. How does yours seem.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a kit car. You must do a fair amount of body work and the fit and finish is up to the builder or body man. I knew this going in. With the 818 a lot of new people will be buying their first kit ever. This is not like a model car where everything fits perfect. It takes a fair amount of work. It can be trying at times. But if it was easy anyone could do it. Like everything else in life you get what you put in. I enjoy the challenge myself. It is not for someone without skills. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was mount the passenger door day. After watching the videos from the body area of the 33 forum about 5 times. I took good notes and went at it. I thank Erik Hanson who did the videos. I am sure it kept me from having a headache. It went very well so far. I have to do some more trimming and adjusting. I am very happy with the fit of the door. All I can say is take your time and trim a little at a time. You may take it apart 10 times but it is worth a nice fit.

DSCF0002.jpgDSCF0003.jpgDSCF0004.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was checking the mounting for the gas cap The unit came apart. The outer ring that attaches to the body came away from the center. It was glued together. I think someone forgot to weld it. Here is the fix I came up with. I ended up using 6-32 S/S screws and washers to hold both together. I know it will not separate now.

DSCF0011.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I wanted to do something mechanical. I was getting tired of fiberglass work. I installed this extra link on my 3 link. After seeing what happened to Eric's 33 with the 3 link, I felt this was cheap insurance. $125 from Vintage performance.

DSCF0012.jpgDSCF0014.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the last few days I finished both doors, the waterfall, rollbar and trunk. Lots of taking on and off and shaping little by little. I am waiting on some metal to make the trunk keep its curve from Tim. I am very pleased with the fit of everything so far. I had to fabricate my own cable clamps for the inner door handels. The kit ones would not work at all for my car. I enjoyed the fabrication though. I borrowed an idea from another builder but used wood instead of cardboard. This allowed me to set the rollbar down on the waterfall for an exact hole. All I can say is take your time and use screws anywhere you can so it is easy to take apart.

DSCF0019.jpgDSCF0020.jpgDSCF0022.jpgDSCF0026.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Today was mount the passenger door day. After watching the videos from the body area of the 33 forum about 5 times. I took good notes and went at it. I thank Erik Hanson who did the videos. I am sure it kept me from having a headache. It went very well so far. I have to do some more trimming and adjusting. I am very happy with the fit of the door. All I can say is take your time and trim a little at a time. You may take it apart 10 times but it is worth a nice fit.

DSCF0002.jpgDSCF0003.jpgDSCF0004.jpg
    Thanks Jeff. And thanks for the check. First one so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you may be wondering what I have been up to the last 5 days. Well I worked on my hood and side panels. I still need to add material to the front of my panels. I like the rake of my grill so I have to add some. I have decided to open up the side panels some more than these pictures to see the engine better. Then I will install large hexagonal mesh to the inside of the openings. I installed my rear exhaust system and roadster windshield. I had to modify a lot but it is part of the journey.

DSCF0001.jpgDSCF0002.jpgDSCF0003.jpg

I will do my coupe top and power windows next week. Then it is off to paint hopefully by the 24th. Huegenics is going to paint it. Check out there website and you can see my Vette I restored . Heres some photos.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-06-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After my fiasco with the roadster windshield vs coupe top I was able to mount the coupe top for a great fit. (see don't do what I did. post) I used blue painters tape to hold the weather seals to the bottom of the top. This way I can remove them for paint and still use them for final assembly. I used the same electric winch to raise and lower the top as I used for the body. Made the job super easy. I cut out for the power windows and mounted them as well as my door solenoids. Make sure you eat a big bowl of patience for breakfast before starting this deal. Overall I am happy with the turn out. I am going to try to find an alternative to the FFR felted door window seals. They are on B/O and I heard some not so nice things about them from other builders. I hope to have it at the paint shop by the 24th.

14.jpg12.jpg13.jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-09-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After finishing most of my body work I removed the body and parts for repair and paint. I fixed my extra holes in the front. (yuck! Yuck!) Then I sprayed the underside with truck bed liner and rubberized undercoat. I also made a heat shield for my + battery cable and fuel line.

DSCF0012.jpgDSCF0011.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a center arm rest/ storage cubby for the 33. The arm cushion lifts up for access. I am also mounting my electronics for the remote door entry and a charging outlet for the cell phone inside. I am still working on the center console. Though I did make the radio play a CD today.

897.jpgDSCF0013.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool. I may have to copy that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it is off to Huegenics for final body work and paint. I had to take top off to trailer it. I don't fit through those windows. I am going to have a black and blue color scheme in satin to flat colors for the car. I am waiting for the mock up drawings from Chris at Huegenics. Now I can clean out all that fiberglass dust out of my shop finally.

20.jpg21.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I went to Huegenics and helped them pull the body and everything off the chassis. They are going to do the final sanding and touch up before paint. I brought the chassis home to wash and clean. Also finish up some stuff before taking it back after paint is done. Here is some photos at Huegenics.

33075.jpg33076.jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-28-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Exciting time!!
    Can't wait to see the finished product!
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    While the body parts are in the body shop, I am finishing up some stuff on the chassis. I installed heat and sound insulation on the floors, firewalls and rear panel. I installed some carpet and ran wiring for P/W, speakers and door acuators. Hid all of it in my armrest.

DSCF0023.jpgDSCF0024.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped by the body shop and they are doing the filler primer and block sanding now. Next week they will do the final primer. here is some photos.

DSCF0038.jpgDSCF0039.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Back form paint yet? I'm so anxious to see it finished. It has been such a quick build. I will be following your 818 build as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car should be done with paint by 7/1/13. I will take about 2weeks to finish it up. I am going to a Skip Barber formula 3 day school this week with my son inlaw. limeRock look out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Friday I finished up my A/C lines and heater hoses. I mounted the valve inside. Hopefully that will work out OK. Today I worked on the wiring. I have everthing but the lights and dash gauges working now. My wheels are here and I am going to put on the tires this week and hopefully put the body on for the first time on Friday. Stay tooned for more action.

Attachment 16003Attachment 16004Attachment 16005
    Wallace,

I've looking through your build and can't seem to find where your starter solenoid ended up. What was the best spot you found with the AC and all... I'm hoping to keep it under dash
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdnik View Post
    Wallace,

I've looking through your build and can't seem to find where your starter solenoid ended up. What was the best spot you found with the AC and all... I'm hoping to keep it under dash
    My starter had the solenoid on it. No separate solenoid. I did not use the kit solenoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I came home from vacation hoping my car was painted. It seems the young man that was sanding my car got bad sick. They hope to get it done in the next 3 weeks or so. I am in no rush. Lots to do on the chassis still. I had a blast at Limerock at Skip Barber school. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to be a better driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is how you save money,it even has headers.Get the car built,add other pieces after it running.If the rear was quite and the trans was able to be shifted,just clean reseal and add new high quality fluids.Stick with ford OEM fluids in something with miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the paint is finally done. Still waiting on the pinstripe girl to finish. At least she is cute! Here is some photos. Hope to bring it home on friday.

DSC03070.jpgDSC03071.jpgDSC03072.jpgDSC03074.jpgDSC03077.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome. I love the blue. I bet you are excited to finish now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great color combo! I am sure the pin-stripes will set things off nicely! I have enjoyed watching your lightening fast build; very impressed!!

Now, about that 818... ;-o)

Thanks for the updates, and I hope to see her all finished soon. I bet you are stoked to be able to get her on the road soon. I am really looking forward to watching your 818 build as well. Great workmanship!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. What color blue is that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, been following your build from the start. Your skill and knowledge is an asset to the FFR community. I'm sure the 818 build will be just as great. Just wondering though, how will you be able to concentrate on the 818 build with the '33 staring at you wanting to be driven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.... Let me say that again backwards... Wow!
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not worked on the car much since I got it home. Too busy with other stuff. Finally got a day to work on it. Doors mounted, wires run to doorpoppers , power window motors, installed mirrors, rear waterfall, tail lights, speakers installed, and trunk alum. Still lots more to do. Waiting on the top to come back from window shop. Sounds like Tim Whittiker might help me out with my messed up door handel.

DSCF0042.jpgDSCF0044.jpgDSCF0043.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I put all the outside parts on and had to take it outside for photos. I still have some wiring, P/W, and interior work to do. Also I have to send it out for the final pinstriping . It has been so much fun to do this build. It has surpassed all my expectations on the finish product. I am very happy I did this build. Thanks to all that have helped me so far in the community. I have enjoyed all the new freinds I met through the forum. Well back to work. Here's some photos.

DSC03078.jpgDSC03079.jpgDSC03080.jpgDSC03081.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome !! Thanks for the thread too. Been referencing it quite often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoyed the thread. I've been side tracked with work and life so I'm catching up on my reading. I sent you a PM about your front shock mounting in the early pics, just curious. Also, I updated your status on the map and milestone thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished the interior, stereo, console and trim. All that is left to do is pinstripe, register and tag it. Hopefully by end of the month. I pick up my 818S on the 19th.

33094.jpg33095.jpg33097.jpg33096.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, looks like you're keeping busy. I understand the enjoyment of it now. I usually go to bed early, 9 or so. Last night installing the firewall I looked up and it was past 10. I could have gone on a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the 33 from the pinstripe girl. She did a great job hand stripeing the car. The silver stripes make the blue and black pop, IMO. All that is left is weigh and register it. Thanks FFR for such a great kit.

DSC03084.jpgDSC03082.jpgDSC03086.jpgDSC03087.jpg

41. Likes wrp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow! LOVE IT!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast