Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 33 build

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallace18's 33 build Gen-1

Well I ordered the kit and pick it up 2/4/13. I began to strip what I need from my 93 donor. I am going to go through the engine, trans and rear and make sure everything is sound. Although the car looked rough it ran and drove great. Here are some starter pictures.

DSC00068.jpgDSC00070.jpgDSC00072.jpgDSC00075.jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-10-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love this. A true donor build. Can't wait to see it in action. Welcome to the 33 fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great start. That trick flow intake is a good piece.

Stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congrats!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took advantage of the 80 degree days we had for the last 7-9 days. I was able to disassemble the engine, trans and rear. I cleaned, sandblasted and painted all 3. I rebuilt the engine replacing rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, intake, headers and installed billet specialties front serpentine kit. Thanks to all fellow 33 posters who gave me help so far. I really appreciate it. The trans only needed seals and a quick shifter. The rear is a 3.08 (yea!) and I replaced seals and brake components. I am waiting for the 5 lug conversion with my kit. Here are some photos. 19 days till I pickup my kit. I hope the weather is kind.

DSC00092.jpgDSC00094.jpgDSC00095.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you made quick work of that. The engine looks awesome. Keep the pictures coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    That motor is beautiful. Nicely done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a great start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I got my new flywheel yesterday. The old one had cracks. I installed the rear cam plug, rear main seal, flywheel, Ram clutch disc and Pressure plate. Then I installed the bellhousing, T/O bearing, starter and transmission. I am almost ready for install when my kit arrives. Jason from FFR emailed me yesterday. They no longer can get the 5-lug axle/drum kit for my 8.8 rear. I wanted a good excuse to go to rear discs anyway. I am calling him today to swap for the rear disc kit. I ordered the 5-lug axle kit from Summit yesterday. I am getting closer to 2/4/13 every day. I leave on the 3rd to head to Wareham. Wish me luck on the roads. T.W.

DSC00098.jpgDSC00099.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What headers did you go with?

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the polished S/S headers from Summit.

I ended up with Ford racing headers after all.
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-28-2014 at 09:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. They look nice. I went with the BBK's. I hope they line up okay with the FFR exhaust setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my tires. They came from Tire Rack yesterday. 235/40ZR17 fronts and 285/35ZR18 rears. Also here is apicture of my truck and trailer ready to head to FFR. I am leaving Sunday 2/3/13 about 3:00 A.M. I hope to make northern Jersey and Wareham by 10 on Monday. It is 65 degrees here and sunny in Florida. I am sure it will be colder up there. The forecast is for snow. It has been 20 years since I drove in it. I hope it is like riding a bike you never forget.

DSC00108.jpgDSC00107.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you picking up from FFR?

Post Thanks / Like
    My 33 Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will it fit in that trailer? Stage 1 kit? How exciting.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is 14' 6" long inside and 72" wide. FFR told me it would fit fine. I saw post where guys used 12' trailers to pick up the kit. I am getting the whole kit with hardtop. A/C , electric steering, power windows, ect. I am very excited but I am heading out to a Florida Gator basketball game. I am a huge fan. Take care and wish me luck on my trip.
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-02-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck. Cant wait to see the updates when you get your kit. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    It is 14' 6" long inside and 72" wide. FFR told me it would fit fine. I saw post where guys used 12' trailers to pick up the kit. I am getting the whole kit with hardtop. A/C , electric steering, power windows, ect. I am very excited but I am heading out to a Florida Gator basketball game. I am a huge fan. Take care and wish me luck on my trip.
    Safe trip! Make sure to bring your camera.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh sure, just cruise through NJ and don't stop to say "hi"....and you could see HR #003.

Seriously, I am 5 minutes from I-287. About 5 minutes North of I-80. I do not reccomend for you to trailer through NYC via I-95.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Olli-

Great point about I-95 through NYC! It's tough enough on a regular day without hauling a trailer! I suspect it's too late to change his plans. Perhaps he will change the route on his return trip.

Wallace- Have an awesome and safe trip. I bet you will have a silly grin on your face the whole way home!! Congratulations!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a side note... You may have an issue with the location of the stock oil filter location. I had a short Motorcraft oil filter on my 351 and after reclocking the EPS motor, it hits the housing and I cannot put it back on. I'm not sure if I can find an even shorter one or I may have to buy a filter relocation kit. Here is a pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a Wix 51311 or equivelant.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know guys... Thanks
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Olli. I will take a look at it. I measured the one I have (Motorcraft D4ZZ-6731-B) and it appears that I is the same size. I found this adapter and it appears that it should work. It is a Ford Racing product and it looks as though it swivels to any location. If I install this pointing forward with a short filter, I think it should work. (90° Oil Filter Adapter Kit, M-6880-A50)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I made it to Bridgeport Conn. Sunday night. The traffic thru Phila. and New York was nothing. I guess evryone was watching the super bowl. I had great weather and roads the entire trip. I used 287 to go to my brothers home on my way back. I am posting this from his home. My only glitch so far is my cell died on the first day. I will post pictures when I get home on Thursday. FFR was great. The tour and people there are awesome. This is a must do for anyone who is buying a kit IMO. We loaded up and I was on my way by 9:40 A.M. Monday. Sorry I could not meet with some of you. I am on a tight schedule. I thank all for your kind posts. I am stoked to get started. Only a few parts were B/O so I am very happy. All fit easy in my trailer with room to spare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Excited to see your build process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I made it home safe in one day. I left Pa. at 04:00 and made it home at 21:00. Here are some pictures from the visit. Today I will unload the boxes and start inventory. On Friday I'll get help and unload the body and chassis. I was nice to sleep at home and be back with my loving wife. Thanks again for all the kind posts. It looks like I just missed a big snow storm.

DSC00110.jpgDSC00111.jpgDSC00112.jpgDSC00113.jpgDSC00133.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    If I can offer a suggestion on inventory that helped me a lot.

-Staple your parts list manifest together and number every page. Make a book of it.
    -Open every box and tick of each item off marking shortages if any (wont be many if any) on the bottom of page. I initialed each page once very part was accounted for.
    -Each box has a box number... mark the page number or numbers from your list on the box near the box number sticker. (sometimes there are parts from different pages in one box, other times there are multiple boxes listed on one page marked by the picker at F5)
    -also be sure the a box number is on very page as well
    -Its also helpful to mark both the box number, page number and brief description on multiple corners of the box so its visible regardless of how you stack your boxes
    -Once complete (full days work/fun) and each box and page are cross referenced, you will be able to find the parts you need much easier. You will remember seeing them but won't be quite sure where... They all start looking the same after a while.
    -Say you are looking for a part or group of parts... Just find them on the list, look for the boxes with the right page number -and you're off to the races.
    One last thing... Sometimes you won't use all the parts in a box on the day you are doing something...DON'T REMOVE THE UNUSED PARTS from that box. You will obviously need them eventually and probably won't remember where you put them. Your only reference at one point is your master list.

Oh yeah, once the master list is done, send F5 an email about any shortages or call... And just in case... Scan your master list if you can you you have an electronic copy just in case something happens to it.

image.jpg
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks that sound like good advice. I actually did that on my own. I am 80% done on inventory today. So far only washers missing. Here are some pictures.

DSC00134.jpgDSC00135.jpgDSC00137.jpgDSC00136.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya See.. and I thought I was on to something there.

What number is yours. I ask becasue you have your hardtop. Mine was backordered... not sure why but I assume I can expect mine to arrive at some point soon.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 3 freinds over and we got the body and chassis out of the trailer. Just 6 more boxes to inventory and the work shall begin.

DSC00140.jpgDSC00141.jpgDSC00142.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I'm really jealous.... Look at that workshop! Nice place to build a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is. It only took me till I was 50 years old to have it. Lots of working and saving. I built 90% of it myself. My chassis # is F5R1000513HR I guess that is the 513th one built? I am done inventory and a few bolts, washers, filler neck cover and led flasher were missing. 9 different items are B/O. So I feel pretty good. I need to find a 0 - 90 ohm fuel gauge to replace mine. I am using the Boyd tank. I can't seem to find the unit online . It has a black rim and a silver short sweep face. Anyone have any ideas? I sent an inquirey to Autometer. I started painted some parts. This weekend is nice here 75 degrees so I will paint as much as I can till rain comes on Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Yes it is. It only took me till I was 50 years old to have it. Lots of working and saving. I built 90% of it myself. My chassis # is F5R1000513HR I guess that is the 513th one built? I am done inventory and a few bolts, washers, filler neck cover and led flasher were missing. 9 different items are B/O. So I feel pretty good. I need to find a 0 - 90 ohm fuel gauge to replace mine. I am using the Boyd tank. I can't seem to find the unit online . It has a black rim and a silver short sweep face. Anyone have any ideas? I sent an inquirey to Autometer. I started painted some parts. This weekend is nice here 75 degrees so I will paint as much as I can till rain comes on Tuesday.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-1904

I just got one last week. Don't let the picture or specs fool you... It's misleading.. The bezel rim is black nickel as it says in description. also if you go to autometers site. Same identical gauge as the one in your kit but 0-90 ohm. Below a pic of both... The one I got and the one just got.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hdnik; 02-09-2013 at 06:14 AM.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Well on Saturday the 9th I finished up my rear and installed the 3 link parts to it. I also painted the front suspension pieces. On Sunday I painted the rest of the parts that need painting and installed the 8.8 in the chassis. Also I marked all my tin for drilling. Today I put on the front suspension and steering rack. I had to use the BFH to install the front suspension. I eventually won the war.

DSC00143.jpgDSC00144.jpgDSC00147.jpgDSC00148.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    you have a nice setup buddy, and two cars to build in one year, or how ever long you want it to last, very cool. BTW the car is looking sweeeeeeet
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the front brakes installed, the pedal assembly, steering components and the firewall. I may have to reclock the P/S, but I will wait till my motor and trans mounts come from B/O. I put the brake resv. on the outside for ease of filling and checking. I made a little alum bracket to hold the master cyl. hoses off of the pedals. I used 10/32 S/S button heads to mount the firewalls. I plan on doing a engine turn finish myself after I am ready to take car apart for paint. Down the road aways.

DSC00151.jpgDSC00150.jpgDSC00149.jpg
    Last edited by wallace18; 08-10-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast