Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm never gonna get this thing registered...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm never gonna get this thing registered...

Alright, here we go.

Has anybody had the problem where a Wilwood pushrod bent after applying normal braking pressure with your foot? Yeah, i didnt think so...

Furious, isnt a strong enough word for me right now. I don think that there is a word strong enough in the English language that describes the rage i'm feeling towards Wilwood right now..

Is there a way of removing pedals without taking half the car apart? I'm sure there is, but at this point, i'm WAY too mad to think straight.

2 days before my inspection for a roadworthy certificate too. You've got to be f&$king kidding me. And because of this, i cant adjust my brakes. I got too much rear bias now so it wont pass the inspection.

The last 4 or 5 times i've been 2 days away from my RW cert test, something store bought broke. Its like this car just doesnt want to go and get registered! It reminds me of a kid that will literally fight tooth and nail not to go to the doctors to get his/her yearly vaccination shot.

Yeah, i've said it before, building a GTM is a love/hate relationship. Today is one of those, murderous hate days where i just cant stand the sight of the car...

Post Thanks / Like
    Something had to have gone abnormally wrong for this to occur. You can literally open one of the front or rear systems on our cars and it will still apply the other system without issue, and it won't bend anything. That's the most severe misalignment I can think of and it doesn't cause any issues, so what the heck happened?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Iv'e been running this exact system for ovewr 10 years now. I can't think of haw that could happen. I would bend it back before I took it all apart. Get creative of how to brace it at the bend and let-er-eat. Was it still threaded into the block?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply's guys, i appreciate it

As it turns out, the nut on the push rod which is there to tighten the rod onto the aluminium pedal adjustment block thingy (so you can set your brake bias/pedal height) loosened over time and basically came undone. That, caused the rod to shred the thread inside the aluminium block because the nut wasn't supporting it anymore. So, that rod went deeper inside the pedal block on one side which i can only guess, caused a sudden angle change in the bias bar which in turn, bent the rod in an upward direction. After a "bit of faff" later, i had the whole pedal box out (along with half the car laying in bits on the ground in order to get to the pedal box) and sent the pedals to my local fitter and turner where he made replicas of the aluminium block thingies out of stainless steel. MUCH MUCH stronger. I removed the pedal box to inspect what had happened as i didnt know what had happened as yet. Only by removing the whole pedal box, did i learn what had happened and how.

My fitter and turner also made new rods identical to the old ones but with one difference, he welded nuts to the rods to make them A LOT easier to adjust for pedal height or brake bias (another thing that i think should have been done in the first place). And i also replaced the standard nuts that where provided by Wilwood with lock nuts so the chances of them coming undone in the future has been drastically reduced.

So, there's a lesson to be learned here. Make sure the nuts on the push rods which hold your pedal and bias setup in place stay tight. Because if you neglect to check them, one day you'll be driving a long and suddenly you'll lose your brake bias setting and spin violently out into an oncoming truck heaven forbid.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know, i think this thread should become a sticky or something. This way, people will be more likely to read this and proactively fix their pedals before something happens while they are driving.

So, to any of you who are running the stock Wilwood setup, screw out the push rods, remove the standard nuts and replace them with lock nuts. That one little thing, will make all the difference i think..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rev2xs View Post
    You know, i think this thread should become a sticky or something. This way, people will be more likely to read this and proactively fix their pedals before something happens while they are driving.

So, to any of you who are running the stock Wilwood setup, screw out the push rods, remove the standard nuts and replace them with lock nuts. That one little thing, will make all the difference i think..
    and make sure they are tight. if the locknuts are not tight, the rod will still work it's way out.
    GTM #253 In Process