FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Timmy318's 818-S Build Thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Timmy318's 818-S Build Thread!

I know it's a little bit early for one of these but my donor pallet from AWJ Performance is scheduled to arrive tomorrow in a 1,400 LBS crate that UPS is going to leave in the driveway ! Don't know how I'm going to get it up to the garage. Going to take a bunch of pictures! Hope everything goes well, and a HUGE thanks to AWJ Performance for their help!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome, I am thinking about going with an AJW package myself. I will have some time to think about it all as I have not even ordered a kit yet and they are over a year out! Yikes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a towing rope, wrap it around the crate and hook it up to a tie down on one of your cars and drag it but on a serious-er note you can rent engine cranes with wheels and roll the engine and trans to the garage. Then I just go piece by piece. have fun and take post pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Timmy, I think if you have a pocket of $20 bills the crate might be dropped at the garage door or inside.
    I'm envious and I can't wait to get my crate from AWJ !
    Photos. Photos. Photos. Please. Please. (So I'll have something to dream about.)
    Pete
    Last edited by AZPete; 01-15-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: the dream part
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Timmy, I think if you have a pocket of $20 bills the crate might be dropped at the garage door or inside.
    I'm envious and I can't wait to get my crate from AWJ !
    Photos. Photos. Photos. Please. Please. (So I'll have something to dream about.)
    Pete
    Checked with my local UPS center and they claimed to have "no" dollies.... Asked how that was possible and after a little chatting the lady said that it wasn't allowed to bring a dolly in the truck(again why) and finally she said that even though it wasn't allowed they do it anyway ! So that'll hopefully pan out! Now the photos, there will be an abundance of them! Don't know if I actually plan on opening the package until my 818 arrives! Might take the engine out and store it in the heated garage though..... Though with what 818donors said the engine is pretty much moisture proof so I don't think I'm going to have any worries!

Post Thanks / Like
    So are product testing

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking forward to your pictures and impressions of the job that AJW did with the crate and donor package. I am looking at their stage 3 kit for when the time comes to order my 818.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some sleet yesterday, schools are all closed! Hope it doesn't interfere with my kit!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    Got some sleet yesterday, schools are all closed! Hope it doesn't interfere with my kit!
    Out of school.....Even better, hire neighborhood kids at $10.00 an hour to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    Thanks but no thanks! If they don't bring a dolly then I just plan on unpacking the crate and using an engine hoist to bring in the heavier stuff and just carrying the rest of the boxes in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    Thanks but no thanks! If they don't bring a dolly then I just plan on unpacking the crate and using an engine hoist to bring in the heavier stuff and just carrying the rest of the boxes in.
    A helpful thread. Made me think. When my donor crate shows up, I'll be ready with a few 4' lengths of 5" diameter PVC pipe to use as rollers to get the crate into my garage. I may consider the harbor freight casters later, in case I feel the need to move the crate around in the garage very much before unloading it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you guys keep this up, I'm gonna want my own build thread too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pick up a pair of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/materia...lly-39757.html

1000lbs capacity each. Set the package on that, and roll 'er up to your door. Afterwards, strap 'em to the 818 chassis to provide mobility during the build. I did that during my MK3 roadster build --made it REAL easy to move it around the shop during the early build stages. All that for just 35 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. That's perfect. I'll buy a pair tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bunch of the standard car roller dolleys (3 sets?) they work for anything with some creativity, some dimensional lumber, and a dewalt driver with screws... ;-) Right now 2 of them are being used as makeshift roll away engine stands... make a padded cradle, set down engine easily and roll it where it is out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...... Just got news that due to the storm we had the crate don't arrive until 12 to the distribution center which was after the truck went out so they won't be delivering it today .... They've rescheduled for tomorrow so I'm hoping that everything goes well then! Guess that gives me even more time to prepare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well.... AWJ said that a customer who received his kit before me claimed that there was a problem with the control arms (something like that). They've shipped it back and it should be arriving today. Then, hopefully I'll receive it on Thursday!

Post Thanks / Like
    also since your residential its going to come in two (2) smaller crates now, rather than one large one.
    Supposed to get picked up here tomorrow, I will email or call with the details!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Timmy,

Your dyslexia is showing. AJW. Just kidding! Hope you have fun opening the late Xmas packages. WEK.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 01-24-2013 at 11:14 PM. Reason: sp
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Tim, did Santa deliver a crate or two?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Santa did deliver some crates last week but I decided not to open them until I got back from Tampa, FL. I plan on opening them later on today and will post some pics etc....

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...... I've taken some pics but it's refuseing to let me post these pics I took ! The crates are in great shape. My donor card stated that one of my wheels was a goner and when I opened my crates I checked the wheels and found nothing wrong with them..... Maybe AWJ replaced it from another donor they had !

Post Thanks / Like
    we worked some majic for you Timmy.

Do you have a photobucket account?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://s1304.beta.photobucket.com/us...%20Build%20Log

Here's a link to my photobucket account where I uploaded the pictures. Let me know if it works or not/or anyone has any questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, in Photobucket copy the IMG code for a photo (when I click on the IMG code it copies) and then in the forum past it (Ctrl V). Like this:

Now you can copy/paste the other photos. Practice makes perfect :-)
    Other guys: how do I copy more than one photo in Photobucket?

Hey Tim, the goodies from AJW look good! I look forward to Santa dropping crates in my driveway.
    Pete
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-06-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more thoughts

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing like having 2 Christmas's. Looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an overview of the package(sorry for the bag quality, taken with my iphone):

Tires & the Seats:

Engine is already mounted to the trans, everything is clearly labeled so you don't have to unwrap each part to inventory it(almost done with that!):

Another pic of the seats & wheels:

This box contains the wiring harness, it was in the box with the wheels/seats:

We did receive one box while we were in Tampa which contained the A/C compressor and a driveshaft....... Now all I need is an 818 !

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. Were suspension parts reworked/painted or just taken off and boxed?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Nice. Were suspension parts reworked/painted or just taken off and boxed?
    They were re-worked a bit, not painted though. I do plan on painting or powder coating them though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some work yesterday. My dad and I got all the parts out of one of the crates and staked 'em on the shelf:

Got the engine moved to the heated garage and now trying to figure out how to take it apart and clean it !

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Timmy,

I was glad to meet you and your friend in Tampa at the cruise-in. Your donor looks great and you will be ready to start building soon after the arrival of the 818 kit. I enjoyed visiting with your Mom and Dad ... pretty cool people! On the last picture you posted, it looks like the right front wheel of an absolutely gorgeous '33 Hot Rod! It's a beautiful Rod and won the well-deserved "Best of Show" award. Best of luck on the build and I will be following your build thread.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Bopp View Post
    Timmy,

I was glad to meet you and your friend in Tampa at the cruise-in. Your donor looks great and you will be ready to start building soon after the arrival of the 818 kit. I enjoyed visiting with your Mom and Dad ... pretty cool people! On the last picture you posted, it looks like the right front wheel of an absolutely gorgeous '33 Hot Rod! It's a beautiful Rod and won the well-deserved "Best of Show" award. Best of luck on the build and I will be following your build thread.

Garry
    Thank you! I greatly appreciate it! It was very nice meeting you also! Loved your coupe btw!

EDIT: BTW, how did those pictures turn out?
    Last edited by timmy318; 02-18-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Engine looks clean and low milage, good for you man
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Engine looks clean and low milage, good for you man
    Thank you!
    FFR '33 #325 built with hazelwwp & FFR 818-S #11 Delivered on July 21, 2013
    Facebook 818-S/R Build Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Facto...78385198877613
    Forum 818-S/R Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Build-Thread!
    FFR Project 818 Owner's Registry on Google Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Well. Made some progress today! Started to clean the transmission (nowhere near finished though):

Removed the timing-belt covers and starting to think about replacing the pulleys (new up-pipe and headers are on the way from AJW Performance :

Hung the timing-belt covers up to dry and hopefully going to paint them soon!:
    Facebook 818-S/R Build Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Facto...78385198877613
    Forum 818-S/R Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Build-Thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Timmy, how many miles are on the engine? Since your changing the timing belt, I'm assuming you didn't spring for the upgrade and went with the base kit. Are you happy with that decision? Personally if I decide to go with AJW I think I'd be inclined to go stage 2 and have the mechanicals done.

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine had 94K on it. My donor has a new STi short block complete with new rods, cranks, pistons and bearings. I'm not actually changing the timing belt but removed the covers to paint them. Also going to either order new pulleys or try and clean 'em up. First though, my transmission is going to get clean and painted. My donor is stage 2 ready and in the 818 it will probably produce around 220 whp with the new up-pipe and headers arriving soon from AJW Performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    LSD going in?

Post Thanks / Like
    sooo jealous, thats a dad thing right?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast