Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body Sling?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Body Sling?

Has anyone made or used a body sling to lower and raise the body on the frame? I will be building my 33 on my lift and after reading lots of posts I see the need to mount and remove the body several times. I can't always get help. I wonder if a sling would allow me to use a winch to raise and lower it by myself. I had bought one to do this for my 78 Vette restorod job I did 5 years ago. Any thoughts? Thanks. T.W.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose it's possible. Different stages of build require different contortions to get he body on though. If it's just a frame, no problem. When the trunk is installed, the lower body lip in the rear needs to go under the aluminum panel so you have to tip it up at the front and slide the rear under the aluminum trunk floor and then set the front down. After the front suspension is on, you need a third hand to spread the the front body "legs" apart to clear the control arms. When installing/removing the doors, I just pull the pins (a PIA) and leave the frame brackets in place (an even bigger PIS to remove/install) but by doing that, it takes some speading of the body to get around the frame brakets sticking out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Has anyone made or used a body sling to lower and raise the body on the frame? I will be building my 33 on my lift and after reading lots of posts I see the need to mount and remove the body several times. I can't always get help. I wonder if a sling would allow me to use a winch to raise and lower it by myself. I had bought one to do this for my 78 Vette restorod job I did 5 years ago. Any thoughts? Thanks. T.W.
    I bought a garage storage lift from sears, i caught on sale at their outlet for $100 It's usually $2-300 It's a square platform with a ceiling bracket and a crank that uses 4 cables to raise and lower. I power mine with an 18 volt dewalt and have had the body on-off several times already while making frame changes on my 33. If you wait as long as possible for the trunk AL this will suit your needs most of the way through.
    I can post a pic if there is any interest in it?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I bought a garage storage lift from sears, i caught on sale at their outlet for $100 It's usually $2-300 It's a square platform with a ceiling bracket and a crank that uses 4 cables to raise and lower. I power mine with an 18 volt dewalt and have had the body on-off several times already while making frame changes on my 33. If you wait as long as possible for the trunk AL this will suit your needs most of the way through.
    I can post a pic if there is any interest in it?
    Dale
    I would like to see a picture. Sounds cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I would like to see a picture. Sounds cool.
    Wallace
    It looks like Lowes sells the lift as well it's a Racor. I extended the crank a bit because my ceiling is 11' but it still lowers far enough to hang the body just fine since it's hung UNDER the wire platform.
    Here's a link to the product.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_432583-2191-...rchQueryType=1

I have the car turned backwards under the body right now so the pic won't make much sense, but in a few weeks when I can spin it back I'll post a shot.
    Dale
    Hemi 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, if you're building a 33 and plan on doing the hardtop, an electric winch isn't a bad idea. I wish I would have bought it before I started my build. Now that I have it, I use it all the time for the top. See my going topless thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes a body sling will work. I used this and it worked great. It allowed me to lower and raise the body by myself.

DSC02869.jpgDSC02870.jpg