Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise-in Tampa Florida?

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cruise-in Tampa Florida?

I've been a busy badger (UW thing) but I had an idea and wanted to see if there was any interest.

Our big FFR truck (with six cars on it) is going down to Modified Mustangs & Fords offices in Tampa Florida on Saturday Feb 2nd for some car testing/article work. You guys know Mark Houlahan, who is the editor there (and posts tech stuff on the forum since he owns a Mk3)... anyway, he mentioned that it would be cool to have a cruise-in and he would open up the magazine building for the dyno, cruise-in, car show and just for fun. We did this a while back when we shot the video with Speed Channels "Two-Guys Garage" and I thought it would be fun to do again.

If we did a cruise-in, FFR could bring some swag and car show awards (maybe customers could elect judges) and I wouldn't mind a day in the warm sun. The magazine guys could host fro 10 to maybe 1pm and then maybe one of you guys could plan a cruise. I've got my Type 65 Coupe with a brand new Ford 363 engine in it ready to go (we dyno'd it at 422 hp at the rw). Any ideas? I want to do this and if the magazine says yes to host it, we could have some fun and its been a while since we've been in the Southeast. Any takers? I figure we could snag 25-50 cars and have some fun cruising. I already got my hall pass signed from my wife so I can go.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

That sounds like a fun time to me ... and as Karen Salvaggio would say, "I'm in"! I'll gladly travel down to Tampa to join in the show/cruise.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Garry,
    I'm going to finalize the plan/Date with Mark from the magazine today and see how many people want to go. I'm gonna be there anyway as I have to drop off the Summit-Factory Five Mk4. I'd love you to drive my coupe with the new engine (the car is a gen 1 car with gen 2 updates except old gen 1 body). dave
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool that's right in my back yard. I don't suppose that one of the cars on that truck will be an 818? I'd love to get a real life look at it.

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a great time when you all were down to unveil the '33, before my roadster was delivered This time I'll be there with it!
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

I'd love to drive your coupe with the new engine. Is that a Boss block? Sounds like a monster!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Garry,

Yeah, it's a Boss block, 500 HP Ford Racing new 363. I love it!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Shows & Events Coordinator, FFR Sally Bean's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave Smith asked me to post the details on the Tampa Cruise-In at Modified Mustangs & Fords headquarters.

The Factory Five Road Show will be heading to Tampa, Florida on Saturday, February 2nd for a customer cruise-in at the offices of “Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine” and YOU are invited. Join us for a fun customer cruise-in event where we will unveil the Summit Racing-Factory Five Mk4 Roadster.

• Free Cruise-In for All Factory Five Makes, Advanced Registrations Not Required
    • Open to the Public, Free Admission
    • Car Show Awards Sponsored by Performance Automotive
    • Unveiling of New Summit Racing Equipment Mk4 Roadster
    • Magazine Headquarters & Shop Tour
    • Refreshments

The cruise-in is at the headquarters of Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine in Tampa where Editor Mark Houlahan (who owns and drives a Factory Five Mk3) will open the doors to some magazine project cars, provide free magazine copies, and Factory Five Racing President Dave Smith will be showing off a stable of pro-built Factory Five cars including his own Type 65 Coupe with Ford Racing’s brand-new 363 ci Boss block 500 HP engine (dyno will tell the truth).

The cruise-in begins at 10 AM and goes until 1 PM. Factory Five customers may organize a rally to a local destination immediately afterwards. The event is open to the public and all Factory Five owners and their cars are especially welcome. All Factory Five cars are welcome at the cruise-in that will begin at 10:00 a.m. at the headquarters of Modified Mustangs & Fords, 9036 Brittany Way, Tampa, FL.

The last time we had a cruise-in event at Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine was for the unveil of the Two Guys Garage-built ’33 Hot Rod.

Schedule of Events:
    10:00 am - Event Begins
    10:00-11:00 am - Open House/Meet & Greet
    11:00-12:00 - Refreshments Provided
    11:30 pm - Unveiling of Summit Racing Mk4 Roadster and Dyno Testing Type 65 Coupe
    12:00 pm - Car Show Awards and Conclusion
    1:00 pm - Customer Organized Cruise (Destination To Be Announced)

Car show awards sponsored by Factory Five builder Performance Automotive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow! I'm pretty sure that was the show where I first laid eyes on Keith's GTM. I took a ride in it some weeks later. I was hooked and had my GTM kit in the garage ~5 moths later.

My GTM will not be finished but, I plan to be there. I'm just over an hour away.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitly mabey........just gotta check a couple of things.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ohhhhh...This looks like lots of fun! Watching Garry drive Dave's Coupe around with that new Boss motor in it would be well worth the price of admission alone...Oh wait, it's free!

Mark Houlahan is a great guy, and it's awesome that he's opening the magazine headquarters doors to host this cool event.....Good times!!!

Maybe Scott McKay will bring his three-time National Championship winning Challenge car up for the day, and Ed Boothman could bring the very famous FFR 25 Hour of Thunderhill car over too....)

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually going to be just down the coast in Sarasota that weekend (sans roadster---unless the "big truck" wants to make a stop in Indiana for a pickup )! Going to make plans to come check it out!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great everyone! Karen, it'll be great to see you once again as well as Gary and other Florida owners. Jeff, it will be nice to finally put a face with the avatar! LOL

We've still got a few things to work out, and a few surprises, but it'll be a lot of fun. Dave and I are putting our heads together for the cruise in at our place, so hopefully an ambitous Florida owner will be able to help with some sort of afternoon drive/cruise to a lunch spot perhaps.

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just posted on Facebook with John "The Judge" Phillips... perhaps he can find a Sonic Burgers or NASCAR Cafe type place to drive to.

I also wanted to say thanks to Mark "Mustang Man" Houlahan for being a stand-up guy and letting us run all over his parking lot and shop there at the magazine. Mark, you can have your pick of the cars on the FFR truck!

Our web guy Mad Dog (does everyone have a nickname?) is sending out a mass email inviting FFR owners (and the general public) to the event.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sure, now you go to Tampa ;>) Should be fun and wish I could make it. Mark is a great guy and this event should be a blast.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill definatly be there. Just getting started on my MK4 kit. Im only 30 minutes away. Cant wait.
    And you probably wont need much more than a t shirt down here.
    In the 70's still.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Henry! Where are you going to be? Are you going to Moochfest?
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what Dave said, I though you were comnig to FL to stay Henry? Or is it not until later this year? Sorry you won't make it. I would love to see your '33!

Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not to dilute this thread. I am back in MA for a little while. Just picked up a Command and need to complete that before thinking of coming South to stay. Dave - no Moochfest either for me. Uncle Sam has plans for me that day. You guys will have a blast and did I tell you how much I miss Tampa...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there, but the roadster won't (not finished yet).
    I'll have to drive one of the old Stangs over there.

I mentioned this on Facebook earlier: As far as after-show cruise ideas, there's a benefit car show going on @ Quaker Steak & Lube that day on the other side of the bay.
    Not sure how big it will be, but thought it might be fun to sorta "crash" it (with maybe a courteous heads-up warning call, first).
    Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Eric, sounds like you're volunteering to me! LOL

The local BBQ shack at Brandon Harley-Davidson I think has a cruise-in on Sat too, but the cruise would be all of five minutes, as they're right around the corner from the office.

Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I ain't volunteering nuthin', Mark! Except to bring up the rear.
    Just throwing ideas out there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great idea, Eric! Maybe some one can check on the Quaker Steak & Lube...sure would be fun to show up with 50 of my closest friends driving Factory Fives. Seriously, probably a good idea to check with them before hand, but it sounds like a fun place to go with food, etc.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be there with 6351.

Jeff
    Mark III complete kit ordered 12/03/2007, received #6351 1/22/2008 Homemade mods: driver footbox extension with deadpedal and dimmer switch, widened passenger footbox, brake reservoir mounting bracket, under trunk storage box, custom dash and dash extension, heater forward box, custom glove box, under dash switch panel, Explorer motor carb conversion, first start 7/10/2010, off to paint (Performance Automotive) 11/20/2010, finally home 5/7/2011, Graduated 11/22/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    PM sent Mark and Dave
    Will be cool to seeya again, Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

I'm trying to justify such a trip from Kentucky. It sounds like lots of fun but it is a 16+ hour drive. I've got permission from the boss but I need to find a way to get my son (Timmy318) there without letting him miss too much school. It would be great to do something like this over spring break. I'm trying to work something out with his flight instructor so that he could just leave after school on Friday and fly himself down as a lesson and then fly back on Saturday evening or Sunday morning but keeping the plane and instructor overnight might be too expensive for me. I pretty much have to include him -- he was not a happy camper that I didn't let him miss school to join us at SEMA.

Anyway, I'm still trying to work out the details but I hope to join you in Tampa.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be there. My MKIV is short an engine and tires, so she has to stay home.

I am excited to see the cars and meet some great people.

Thanks Dave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear Jeff! Looking forward to seeing you again!

Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll drive down from Kentucky leaving early Thursday and arriving Friday afternoon. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood hotel that would allow me to drop a trailer in their parking lot? I prefer a hotel where other FFR car guys are staying.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm staying at the Embassy Suites, just about 1.5 miles from the cruise-in/show. From the satellite view, looks like lots of parking room. I'll be trailering my coupe down. I got an AARP rate of $106/nite. Address is: 10220 Palm River Road, Tampa and phone # is 813-653-1905. I did book my room online, not on the phone.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

Post Thanks / Like
    There's also a Holiday Inn Express and a Comfort Suites on Hwy 301 just north of the office by a couple of miles (right across from the State Fairgrounds) that several stayed at when we did the Two Guys Garage reveal as well. Both newer/nice hotels with decent parking and walking distance to a Five Guys and a Winghouse. ;-)

Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, while the address was given above, it might be iffy for some GPS units, and even then you might end up at our front door. For those that haven't been to the offices for the previous event we actually park/hold the event in our back lot. The following image should help you get to the right spot, and frankly, unless you like getting somewhere a half hour before everyone else you won't be able to miss it with the line of cars coming in and the big FFR semi parked out back!

Thanks!
    Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark! Huge thanks for getting this posted. I forgot about the industrial park shuffle that you gotta do. I'll have Mad Dog add this to the web post. Should be alot of fun. Ive had a ton of calls from guys coming and I'm dying to show off that new Ford 363 among other things. Dave
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Dave, they're your tires!

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's the coolest thing Mark! Stan and the great guys at TOYO Tires offers us a modest sponsorship, soooo I get to use tires without mercy and I invite you to scrub em up!!!! I swear, that new Ford Racing 363 makes 420 ponies at the rear wheel of my coupe and it almost makes you feel sorry for tires!
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're traveling in and staying at a hotel, you may want to consider Clearwater Beach. It's about 45 minute from the Tampa stop, but much closer to the Quaker Steak and Lube across the bay. It is winter, I know, but the weather has been great lately, perfect for cruising, and it shouldn't be too crowded.

Also, on Feb 2, there is "Monster Jam" monster truck show. It's at the Raymond James stadium in Tampa. I'm taking my kids there. Before the show, they show off all of the trucks and the demolition derby cars in the "Pit" which is the large field, next to the stadium. Perhaps the event coordinator could add the Factory Five cars to the pit show? It's an long shot idea, but perhaps worth a call. It could definately drum up some enthusiasm for Factory Five products.

Post Thanks / Like
    T-minus five days people! Just bringing this TTT so I can get a head count. Please post your name and city (and state if from out of state) so I can determine how much coffee to make! LOL

Thanks, and see you Saturday!
    Mark

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Owensboro, KY----- Monika, Priest, & Tim Hazelwood

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    Owensboro, KY----- Monika, Priest, & Tim Hazelwood
    Tim, you're bringing a Priest?....lol I guess to bless the road trip..

Not sure if I am going yet or not, only about a 1hr and 15min drive, but it all depends if I can afford the gas. I would like to meet Dave Smith though, and maybe talk to him about a few things, but I gather a lot of people would like to talk to him. I would like to get some good pics for design work, but that might be kind of hard with all the people around.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

Garry Bopp from Covington, GA. See you soon!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast