Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vman's '33 Hot Rod Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some wildness from the mind of Aaron Beck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelspin View Post

I then selected to go with the more traditional ones that I fabricated.

Attachment 31726

Spiro
    Hi Spiro, That looks really nice with the tight cluster of vents. It appears you started each vent right at the back edge of the previous vent. Did you do anything to add structure to the backside or wasn't it necessary? My big single vent didn't seem to weaken the side panel at all.

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tom,
    All 3 vents are made from 1 mold.
    I cut the side panel and glassed it inn.
    Lots of work to make it look uniform with the panel.
    It wasn't necessary to add structure since its all one piece.
    Hopefully it will cool the engine bay and firewall enough to keep everyone happy.

Spiro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelspin View Post
    Hopefully it will cool the engine bay and firewall enough to keep everyone happy. Spiro
    My vent took a big heat load off the engine bay, firewall and footwell.

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    So it took me 3 days to figure out how to get registered on the forum and I'm sure I've read this thread as many ways and times as possible. But I still feel like there is no definitive answer to the question "Is there going to be a FFR pickup?" I love the idea of the FFR platform but have to have a pickup. And I'm not about to buy a chassis and virtually destroy what engineering has gone into it in order to make a 33HR into a 33P/U.

Post Thanks / Like

do-able 33 pickup

Quote Originally Posted by finally conviced her View Post
    "Is there going to be a FFR pickup?" I love the idea of the FFR platform but have to have a pickup. And I'm not about to buy a chassis and virtually destroy what engineering has gone into it in order to make a 33HR into a 33P/U.
    The offhand comments by Dave Smith about a pickup gave a lot of us hope that it would eventually be done, but the 33 still seems like a stepchild with the very minimal changes since it's release when
    compared to other models updated and even several new models rolled out since then.

I didn't consider the changes I made to the rear clip on mine to be so drastic as to "destroy" any of FF's engineering, it is a great racing chassis that needs a few tweaks to be a decent street machine.
    It is really a 33R as sold with a few cosmetic options available. A lot of the buyers seem to want a a 33S so we end up changing it out ourselves in many different ways. Springs,shocks,control arms.
    The truck is only one more step down that same path when you look at what has to change aside from the body.

When you look at the 33 chassis, the parts from just behind the passenger compartment is what gets changed the most by the builders on here. The fuel tank is the biggest single complaint I see on here and even with the FF updates it still gets a C- at best and the Boyd only gets a C+ from me. While it is built better it repeats the bad location and shape of the original which sits too high and is limited by those fugly trunk hinges. The next change is the 3-4-5-watts-IRS suspension etc. that gets stretched softened swayed and a rear bumper or a tow hitch extension to the frame. We also add
    body/trunk floor stiffeners to make the trunk latch work because the body has no support at all from the CL of the 8.8 on back. For a race car/33R where every single pound matters the rear clip makes sense but for all those built for the street it needs a lot of help. If I build another 33 the first thing I would do is bob off everything behind the passenger compartment and start fresh.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    I see where I got myself excited. I somehow drew the conclusion Dave (Vman) was Dave S. So the beging of this thread had me a gitty that a FFR 33PU was in the works. Now that I see my mistake I'll quit being excited. If FFR makes a kit then great, I'll be one of the first to buy one, unless I have found the right Henry Ford version first. Both have merit.
    Last edited by finally conviced her; 09-02-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi finally convinced her (love that) and welcome here. I wouldn't hold my breath on a factory Factory Five'33 as an improved version of the existing car seems to be on the back-burner for the forseeable future............not even sure the burner is even on actually.

The brilliance of the minds involved in this thread can think up what's needed. We all bounce off each other's ideas, artwork and creativity. Somebody out there with the facilities, finances and skills will probably do it one day........it's such a natural progression. I would love a pickup version and a coupe, but I'm not in any position to build either at present, so I just stick in my fertile imagination's thoughts to help in the mix.

Like myjones, my projected build, even of a coupe would junk a lot of the stock chassis behind the cab and reposition the fuel tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    improved version of the existing car seems to be on the back-burner for the forseeable future............not even sure the burner is even on actually.
    That's too bad. I was excited there for a minute.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are very talented

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Built View Post
    You are very talented
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Updates: New Sedan Deliveries

Been working on some Sedan Deliveries this last week.

I decided to keep the orig FFR 33 door & window and blend in the panels to match.

If anybody remembers, I talked about how the Tudor & Deliveries would all have the same body tub with interchangeable tops.

Here are some previews of the Sedan Deliveries.

To see larger versions you can go to the link inTudor & Delivery Album in Post #1 or click on this link
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=830

Last edited by Vman7; 12-29-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 more

Post Thanks / Like
    There is more to come as far as the Tudor & Sedan Deliveries. There will be what I would call a blend of a Sedan Delivery & a Panel Truck (2 versions of a Humpback). Also a new version of Pickup UTE, and Pickup w/extended cab UTE based on the Tudor body tub.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 12-30-2014 at 09:57 AM.

15. Thanks clays123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David
    You do fantastic work with the designs. glad to see you back .
    still in Love with the Woody concept
    would like to see the Woody Wagon w/o fenders with the Halibrand wheels (dreaming)
    been trying in my mind to figure out how to do the side panels with glass and thin wood planking and veerner panels, and keep it light weight.
    Keep up the great work.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    I updated the links to Albums in Post #1

I combined the Roadster/Coupe Pickup & Roadster/Coupe Pickup Ute, To Roadster/Coupe Pickup

Added Woody Album and link.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kkcalm5 View Post
    Hey David
    You do fantastic work with the designs. glad to see you back .
    still in Love with the Woody concept
    would like to see the Woody Wagon w/o fenders with the Halibrand wheels (dreaming)
    been trying in my mind to figure out how to do the side panels with glass and thin wood planking and veerner panels, and keep it light weight.
    Keep up the great work.
    Kevin
    Thanks Kevin I have plans for the woody w/o fenders, as well for all the others.
    I think somewhere in this thread I talked about doing the wood like a wooden boat with the epoxy resin, and having hollow frames to keep the weight down. Someone talked about doing it all in fiberglass then doing a faux wood paint, but I think that would really expensive.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it looks like it is time to say good bye to this thread, and most of my other design threads. There just isn't any interest anymore, not that there really was to begin with, mostly the same people, which isn't that many that had somewhat of a serious interest.

I won't have the thread deleted, but I am considering deleting the pictures though, at least on the '33 stuff.

I am at the point of not letting my ideas out anymore and taking the chance that some *** will take my ideas and do something to make a profit off of them without my permission or some written agreement.

I doubt very seriously that Dave S. and FFR will ever take up any of my ideas. I would be better off going outside of FFR with a third party, but that doesn't look like that is going to happen either.

So bottom line is like my father used to tell me "never give your ideas out, unless you get something for it". So what I do from this point on, not sure yet, but I do know this, not going to share anything anymore in the sense of in word giving details, I might add a picture here and there to an album, but won't post that I did, if people want to find new pictures, they can search for it.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-06-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What this Thread is Mostly about

I started this thread to combine the other threads I started on the '33 designs into one, so everything would be in one place.

The main reason for this thread is to give inspiration to others, to give some ideas that they may not have thought of, and to those who either don't have much design sense or just can visualize what they would like to see in their '33 design. In other words, to help those who need help in design areas so they can achieve their goals in completing their '33 hot rod.

It all started with rear designs, mostly for the most part simple stuff, like roll pans, tail lights etc.

This is not limited to just designs requiring some bodywork of some kind, but also possible paint schemes etc.

Next I'll talk about how the body ideas (speedster, pickup, tudor, delivery, and woody) came about, in relation to FFR and 3rd party vendors.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-06-2015 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am trying to get back to what I posted in Post #179. I kind of got sidetrack with some 818 stuff here.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if I am going to get back to trying to explain any of this or not. It just kind of feels moot at this point.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you get when you cross a '33 Ford 5 window Coupe....

33 Ford 5W LSide 1.jpg

with a '33 Ford Vicky....

33 Ford Vicky 3B sm.JPG

you get my latest creation....... A '33 Custom 5 Window "Phantom" Coupe

I got the idea after seeing this

34 Ford C5W Rodline SV sm.JPG

A little history behind the 5 window red coupe (which is hard to find btw). The coupe is actually a '34 Phantom coupe design by Chris Boyle called the 1934 Sport Sedan. Chris Boyle from what info I could find designed the '34 ford 5 window "phantom" coupe to give more room inside. The body was based off a '34 ford 5 window. Chris Boyle is from the UK and had a company called Rodline International, which is now under new management. Not sure when the "phantom" 5 window coupe was originally done.

Wait until you see one of the paint schemes I have planned for '33 Custom 5 Window, think pizza delivery

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's a cool looking design, wouldn't mind having one of those, if there was a way to move the gas tank away from the back seat.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by H R Lucky View Post
    Wow, that's a cool looking design, wouldn't mind having one of those, if there was a way to move the gas tank away from the back seat.
    The idea I had in mind for the 33 Custom 5 window is not really a back seat, not enough area for that, but rather better side viewing, less of a blind spot, plus a rear shelf area. The gas tank would stil be in the same place, but instead of a tall gas tank, the new gas tank would lie flat and be roughly say about 3" high and lie under that shelf area. The frame for the trunk hinges would have a new one moved back to allow for the new trunk. There would be access to the shelf area from the trunk.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-28-2015 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working on some rear stuff lately. I hope to get some top designs done, as well as some side vent designs.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to be going back and forth between the Wareham Special and '33 designs. So I am taking a little break from the Wareham Special to get some stuff done on the '33 design, mostly the rear, like recessed Lic Plates and a few exhausts, also a larger rear window options.

There is a lot more to come......

David

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it coming David! Looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Update!

Well now that I am back working on stuff again. Thought I would just give a quick update with what is on the so called drawing board

Working some request stuff for a while back, 3 requests on the '33 Hot Rod, mostly small stuff. 1 818 request. So I am working on those as well as a bunch of the other '33 design ideas, plus a few new ones. So I guess I could say I am pretty busy to say the least....lol

Designs I am working on: (pretty much everything in Post #1, mostly overall designs)

Speedster
    Roadster/Coupe Pickup, plus new "Shorty" design with or without bed.
    Tudor, Delivery & Woody Mostly the Woody
    New Wedge designs Not sure if I have ever mentioned this design or not in the forum, but it has been on the back burner for some time.
    Well that is pretty much what's keeping me busy

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 04-29-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wedge Teaser!

To see more detail here is the link to the picture in the Wedge Design Album.
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album...chmentid=54098

Still a bunch of stuff to do, lot of shading etc. here and there. Working on the side exhaust, wheels, grille, interior, tail lights.

The teaser pic shows one idea for engine panel vents. The ones shown are one in chrome/polished alum. or molded in black.

The Windshield is of a somewhat DuVall style, but not really a true DuVall. I think of it as a 3 point custom windshield. It still need to be finished, mostly just the shape right now. Either going to be buffed Alum., Polished Alum or chrome, not sure which yet, won't know until I do the wheels.

Enjoy!
    David
    Last edited by Vman7; 04-29-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Update!

Here are a couple of in-work screenshots, just to give you an idea of the overall look. In these 2 screenshots are the laying out of the grille before giving the grille depth and a chrome look.

Wedge Screenshot 1.JPG

Wedge Screenshot 2.JPG

Also trying to come up with a name for this design. Wedge is just a working title. The Wedge name came from the original idea of extending the nose to almost a point, but even from the top view curving the hood area to the nose became to far fwd of where the orig. grille was at the bottom. So I decided to go with a grille design based on the '37 Ford grille, but custom.

Since the nose design has changed the "Wedge" idea really doesn't apply anymore.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 04-29-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The panel wagon would be so easy to produce/mold. The pickup is a great idea also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks JB

Post Thanks / Like
    David
    Looking back over your beautiful work here, it still gets me stoked seeing the panel/sedan delivery
    BTW
    I miss the input from MT ED Martin T. seems to have disappeared, and contact info you can send me offline ?
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    David
    Looking back over your beautiful work here, it still gets me stoked seeing the panel/sedan delivery
    BTW
    I miss the input from MT ED Martin T. seems to have disappeared, and contact info you can send me offline ?
    Dale
    Thanks Dale I don't have any contact info for Martin, other then here. Never even talked with him through e-mail far as I remember. I wonder what happened to him as well.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Vman
    those designs are very cool and should be part of any 33 MK2 package. Dave S has "thought about a pick-up 33"
    DB Hemi33
    WOW
    That guy can see into the future.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated "Terms of Use" in post #1

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated the categories in post#1

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 04-29-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated Post #1 Please read!

Updated Post #1 Please read!

I have put a lot of thought into this for sometime now. Not going to get into detail why.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man that sedan delivery/Tudor looks gooood. Wonder what it would take to actually build?

Post Thanks / Like

Updates

Going to be updating some stuff here. Mostly on the "Wedge Design" which has been a inwork title. At one time I actually used the name I came up with for the Series, but decided not to use it in the forums just yet.

So the "Wedge Design" will now be called Aero Rod Series. Which will have a bunch of updates. There will be 2 base body designs, 3 styles of noses, custom hard top, side exhaust, bullet taillights, custom rear nerf bumper, custom side engine vents, custom hood scoop etc.

Aero Rod Update 02-25-2019
    I was going through all the files to get a better idea of everything, since it has been a while since I have really looked at everything.

This is the lineup for now.
    33 Aero Rod Series
    Aero Rod I
    Aero Rod II
    Aero Rod III
    Aero Rod Speedster

Aero Rod III was actually the first design when it was under the inwork title of "Wedge". Then as things progressed came the Aero Rod I, which got even more refined and then came the Aero Rod II (my favorite), shown in posts #189 and 190. Aero Rod I-III bodies are for the most part based on the same body. Aero Rod Speedster has it's own body. Aero Rod Speedster is more of the traditional track nose lakesters.

Found another wedge design idea, not related to the Aero Rod, which is inspired by Dan Webb's Wedge Roadster and Zipper Motors designs. Not sure where this one is going...lol
    End of update 02-26-2019

Not sure if I really desire to work on anymore panel delivery, tudor, woody etc., since FFR bought Rat's Glass, not really sure where FFR is headed with that. Matter of fact this whole Aero Rod Series may be a waste of time, maybe

Only other Design I may work on is the Coupe DeLux

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 02-26-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast