Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vman's '33 Hot Rod Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Vman's '33 Hot Rod Design Ideas

Here are my design ideas for the '33 Hot Rod. Which are in Albums in the Gallery section.

Here are the links to each Album. Each Title in Bold Black is a link.

'33 Top Designs (Old Designs)

'33 Rear Designs
    Rear Lighting
    Roll Pans, Diffusers & Exhausts
    Rear Misc

'33 Roadster/Coupe Pickup

'33 Tudor, Delivery & Woody
    Tudor & Delivery
    Woody

All of this is for right now. Circumstances may change, then I might consider it.

I will no longer be doing new designs for posting, as well as requests, unless already inwork or really serious requests through pvt msg. All Requests are free, but will be on a limited basis, depending on how much work is involved and only after I have deemed it to be a serious request and not somebody that just wants some eye candy to look at.

I will Not be adding anymore new Albums & designs. I will not be adding any new updates and links to Albums in the #1 post.

I put all the designs in Albums to help give people easy access to them.

The designs are for inspiring people to come up with ideas or use as is. People can upload the pictures to this thread to discuss or to upload to your own thread.

People can change the designs to their liking*.

Terms of Use:
    If you do use any of my ideas for private use, or for what ever reason other then commercial** use. All I ask is that you give credit.

*All pictures for private use only, you can use them and change them here as long as you don't use them for any commercial use.
    For commercial use, must have permission from myself and the original owner of the photos, in most cases the original pictures are from FFR.

**Commercial Use of Design Ideas: Must have my permission of my designs and from Factory Five Racing when applicable, being that my designs are based on their product.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 04-15-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If only you would've posted some of these pic's earlier ! I must say, I really love your coupe designs so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy318 View Post
    If only you would've posted some of these pic's earlier ! I must say, I really love your coupe designs so far!
    Thanks There is a thread here that has links to all the pictures on the other FF site. It's been long overdue putting all the pictures up here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

I posted this the other day in the General Discussions Forums:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...sign-Direction

Thought I would just put out a few things that are going on with Designs for the 33. I have been gathering pictures from the internet over a long time to get ideas of what actually people are doing. It has really got my mind running like a freight train on ideas

I know that some people here and at the other forum have been throwing around the idea of a Tudor or a Vicky also some kind of pickup.

I have a really cool design idea for a Roadster/Coupe Pickup that would need some kind of new rear subframe, the subframe would also work with the Tudor or Vicky body. Not sure which way I am going to go on the Tudor or Vicky body. Most popular in the retro look is the Vicky, but the Tudor has been becoming very popular as of late. The Tudor would give more room in the rear than the Vicky. So I am kind of leaning toward the Tudor, all depends on how it looks once mocked up.

Another idea I have for a alt body is a "true" Speedster with a track nose. The way I am thinking about it there could be a few different ways of doing this.

Speedster Plan

1st Version: would be of course a track front nose piece with a new hood with more rounded outer edges as you go forward, new engine panels. There would be a nice round rear roll pan. This version would require the least amount of work.

2nd Version:This version would require a lot of work on the part of the person doing the build.
    The beltline would be sanded off front and back, only remaining part would be part way through the hood, doors, and part way back of the B pillar into the rear fender. All of the rounded trim around the whole body at the bottom and around the rear fenders would be sanded down to the body, including the rear wide area below the tail lights. This would give the car a more smooth rounded feel.

Of course there would be the new track nose, hood and engine panels.

The Rear Roll pan would be a nice rounded one.

3rd Version: I have put a lot of thought into this for a long time now, hopefully it can be done in reality.

This version would require a alt body. It would include everything in version 1 and 2 just already done. Plus the following.
    Reshaped doors & body at the bottom to allow for "lake style" headers and sipe pipes. These doors could also be used just for people who would just like to have sipe pipes.

I am really excited about working on the Speedster and the Roadster/Coupe Pickup!

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    deleted
    Last edited by Vman7; 05-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Update:

I posted this the other day in the General Discussions Forums:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...sign-Direction

Thought I would just put out a few things that are going on with Designs for the 33. I have been gathering pictures from the internet over a long time tot get ideas of what actually people are doing. It has really got my mind running like a freight train on ideas

I know that some people here and at the other forum have been throwing around the idea of a Tudor or a Vicky also some kind of pickup.

I have a really cool design idea for a Roadster/Coupe Pickup that would need some kind of new rear subframe, the subframe would also work with the Tudor or Vicky body. Not sure which way I am going to go on the Tudor or Vicky body. Most popular in the retro look is the Vicky, but the Tudor has been becoming very popular as of late. The Tudor would give more room in the rear than the Vicky. So I am kind of leaning toward the Tudor, all depends on how it looks once mocked up.

Another idea I have for a alt body is a "true" Speedster with a track nose. The way I am thinking about it there could be a few different ways of doing this.

Speedster Plan

1st Version: would be of course a track front nose piece with a new hood with more rounded outer edges as you go forward, new engine panels. There would be a nice round rear roll pan. This version would require the least amount of work.

2nd Version:This version would require a lot of work on the part of the person doing the build.
    The beltline would be sanded off front and back, only remaining part would be part way through the hood, doors, and part way back of the B pillar into the rear fender. All of the rounded trim around the whole body at the bottom and around the rear fenders would be sanded down to the body, including the rear wide area below the tail lights. This would give the car a more smooth rounded feel.

Of course there would be the new track nose, hood and engine panels.

The Rear Roll pan would be a nice rounded one.

3rd Version: I have put a lot of thought into this for a long time now, hopefully it can be done in reality.

This version would require a alt body. It would include everything in version 1 and 2 just already done. Plus the following.
    Reshaped doors & body at the bottom to allow for "lake style" headers and sipe pipes. These doors could also be used just for people who would just like to have sipe pipes.

I am really excited about working on the Speedster and the Roadster/Coupe Pickup!

David
    I am very interested to see what you do with the Roadster/pickup. I fooled around with some rudimentary ideas on an earlier post, but i could not get the proportions right. I did some preliminary profile on a woody, I think I could get that to work.

Would you consider sectioning a couple inches out of the speedster body? Would mean a lot of details to look into, but in for a penny in for a pound.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mann View Post
    I am very interested to see what you do with the Roadster/pickup. I fooled around with some rudimentary ideas on an earlier post, but i could not get the proportions right. I did some preliminary profile on a woody, I think I could get that to work.

Would you consider sectioning a couple inches out of the speedster body? Would mean a lot of details to look into, but in for a penny in for a pound.
    The Roadster/Coupe pickup is going to take some real good layout work. The hard part about the Roadster/Coupe Pickup will be the rear subframe (which would also be used on the Tudor or Vicky body).

I was thinking of a Woodie myself. There is a guy here in Florida on the east coast that does custom woodies.

Not sure about sectioning the speedster body just yet, won't really know until I get it mocked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of the Roadster/Coupe Pickup. The front grille and shell will be a custom one for what I have in mind, but it would be an option. The cab part would be shortened from the rear some, but not effect the seating. Cab would also have a optional windshield visor that would be molded in. The idea I have for the rear pickup bed area be is a little hard to describe. The gas tank would be basicly in the same place only lower and a more rounded shape at top and bottom, which would be part way in the cab and part way out into the bed area, gas tank would be alum and highly polished. There would be a wood bed with an polished alum cover over where the ctr rear end is for clearance. Of course an new subframe.

I was somewhat laying out the Tudor and Vicky the other day. The way it is going I am thinking more along the lines of the Tudor, it seems to flow better, mostly with the angle of the front. This might be the first group I put out since there won't be as much work involved as there will be for the other designs

More to come.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 05-29-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I haven't worked on anything since July, not even graphics of any kind. But I thought I would at least through up a couple of Mock-ups.

Here is the 1st mock up of the Roadster/Coupe Pickup side view so far.

33 Pickup SV MU1.JPG

Panel mock up, side view so far.

33 Panel SV MU1.JPG

Not sure when I will get back to all of this.

I also added 3 new categories in post #1.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 09-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn... I NEED a panel wagon...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure when I will ever get back on this stuff.

Right now I am working with the VA on going back to school again, and depending on which direction I go, not sure just how busy I will be with school and such.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the pannel design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Teaser! Roaster/Coupe Pickup.

33 PU SP 1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

wow

Teaser! Roaster/Coupe Pickup.

33 PU SP 1.JPG
    Vman
    Both those designs are very cool and should be part of any 33 MK2 package.

Dave S has "thought about a pick-up 33" and I lean toward the panel delivery mostly for
    the unique look and the utility of using it for power tour etc.

DB
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    Vman
    Both those designs are very cool and should be part of any 33 MK2 package.

Dave S has "thought about a pick-up 33" and I lean toward the panel delivery mostly for
    the unique look and the utility of using it for power tour etc.

DB
    Hemi33
    That would be cool if the designs would be something in the future.

As far as the Panel Delivery design, I have been doing a lot of thinking about it, design wise, mostly in how to design the rear subframe as well as for the pickup version. The Panel Delivery main concern is where to put the fuel tank. I have a few ideas for the panel delivery, such as a rear hatch, either with a top hatch and a bottom one or just one hatch. Also a way of finishing off the inside for use as storage compartments, hidden of course. Maybe some kind of optional pullout storage tray. I am thinking about doing some kind of retractable sunroof as an option.
    Last edited by Vman7; 12-12-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I get back on the designs again. My hope is to really work on the speedster and full fender road racing body. Both would do well on the track. Both the speedster and full body road racing body designs would have suspensions that would be set up for handling for street and/or track. I am thinking along the lines of a 3 link.

As far as suspension for the Pickup and Panel Delivery, I am thinking more of a 4 link, mostly for room on the rear subframe, so nothing interferes with the bottom of the pickup bed or bottom area in the panel delivery. Probably have to do some kind of shock mounts.

More details to come once I get this crazy school stuff done for the VA, so I know where I am sitting school wise.......the VA has you jumping through hoops.........lol

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 12-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely brilliant. The versatility of a modular back section would be VERY attractive. Pickup bed, tonneau, panel whatever.

I'd like to see a few updated styling cues as well, not focused on aesthetics or 'correctness' but more on pure functionality. This is already the highest performing hot rod around, I'd love to use it and really rack some miles up. Think Pro-Touring meets the '33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinspool View Post
    Absolutely brilliant. The versatility of a modular back section would be VERY attractive. Pickup bed, tonneau, panel whatever.

I'd like to see a few updated styling cues as well, not focused on aesthetics or 'correctness' but more on pure functionality. This is already the highest performing hot rod around, I'd love to use it and really rack some miles up. Think Pro-Touring meets the '33.
    Thanks The idea I have in my head is a rear subframe that can be used on both the roadster/coupe pickup and Panel Delivery (could also be a tudor body) that could be done at FFR by having a welding table jig with moveable clamp blocks. Just set up the table jig depending on which 33 people order.

I have some ideas for different front grilles, tops, fenders, nerf bars etc.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Some answers for the Roadster/Coupe Pickup

In answer to a question of extending the wheelbase for the pickup to allow for a longer bed (asked by a few in the What's next for Factory Five thread)

I thought of that, but probably wouldn't want to go more then 114" wheelbase (2" longer then orig).

First off let me get this out of the way. the so called "pickup" design I am working on is not a pickup truck in the true sense of the word. '32-'34 Ford model B had the following wheelbases, and yes even the pickup trucks. '32 - 106", '33,'34 - 112". The pickup truck body sat more foward on the frame rails then the sedans, plus you sat more upright in the pickup truck.

A roadster pickup is not the same as a pickup truck. Basicly a roadster pickup is roadster body from the back of the seats foward with a short bed. I am not actually sure if Ford made any '33-'34 roadster pickups, it's hard to find any actual documents on them, I do know Ford made roadster pickups between '28-'32 though.

Here is a picture of a '34 Ford pickup truck (same as '33), you will see how more fwd the cab sits.

1934 Ford PU RSide 1sm.JPG

Now here is where the problem comes in. First if the wheelbase is changed for the roadster/coupe pickup to say 114" the new rear subframe can only be used for the pickup and not the tudor, vicky, panel bodies, since those you would want to keep at 112" wheelbase. Second if you redesign the body and move it fwd some, then you run into all kind of chassis changes. So from a business point it would not be practical or economically wise just to have a subframe that is only for one body design that may or may not sell well.

From the mockup design, the bed looks short between the cab and rear fender, but that is an illusion being that the cab sit outward more then the bed, you can't really see where the bed comes up to the body because of the angel of the camera shot. This is one of the reasons (among many others) why I decided to tilt the rear of the bed outward at the top, it gives the appearance of looking longer as well as flows better with the angles of the body.

Roadster/Coupe Pickup (cab almost done, needs more shading, bed just a mockup right now)

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-10-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work Vman. Your work is always top notch. I've made the decision to build an 818, but if FFR decides to offer a hot rod pickup... My children's inheritance would be in danger. LOL.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome renderings Vman. I like the track roadster idea. I'm toying with some alternative nose ideas myself. When your lined up with a bunch of miatas and cobras at the autocross the 33 looks unique, but at a rod show those 33 ford grilles get as boring as blue mustangs, purple cudas, and red Camaros...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    When your lined up with a bunch of miatas and cobras at the autocross the 33 looks unique, but at a rod show those 33 ford grilles get as boring as blue mustangs, purple cudas, and red Camaros...
    The splitter, dive planes and diffuser should help distinguish from the rest. ;-)

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone played around with a 5 window roof design? From a practical point its nice to have visibility out the corners in some situations. I was thinking a wrap around like some of the 50's pickups had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments

In another thread, I was asking about headroom, and the subject of blindspot came up. So I am trying to come up with an idea to help with that blindspot problem, so far nothing really looks that good.

Here is a rendering that Chip Foose came up with for a 33 coupe based on a roadster.

You can go here to see more pictures, just click on the the 33 Ford Coupe gallery
    http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display....Current_Builds

Post Thanks / Like
    I get where you are coming from with the pickup design. I don't think Ford did ever make 33/34 roadster pickups and generally the pickup versions were very different from a same year passenger car.

1937 for instance:

Now some people have mated a '37 bed to passenger car bodywork and created a nice sort of coupe roofed truck:

But this style will not fit the FF chassis due to the increased wheelbase and reasons you state. So.........it makes perfect sense to go for the rear end that follows the cab back angle. It gives you a bit more bed (useful) and is esthetically pleasing.

Which is obviously exactly the conclusion that the designers of this '37 Phantom truck glass-fibre body came up with:

This style of body has been produced by a few companies and seems to have sold pretty well, so a '33 version makes perfect sense to me. I LOVE small pickups and despite having a HUGE desire to build a FF'33 coupe, if this was an option I would very seriously have to consider it.

Ooh! nearly forgot......I love the way you have the bed lining up with the waist-line body reveal..........beautiful.
    Last edited by MT-ED; 01-27-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MT-ED I am trying to get the pickup as aesthetically pleasing as possible without going crazy...lol
    That '37 (bottom blk) one looks pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, that bottom one is nice, whereas the designer of this one went too far IMO:

I'm a sucker for sedan deliveries too..........built this in the 80's back in England.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    Yes, that bottom one is nice, whereas the designer of this one went too far IMO:

I'm a sucker for sedan deliveries too..........built this in the 80's back in England.

Yeah I would say that one is overkill. I like panel trucks and sedan deliveries as well. I hope to get back on the sedan panel design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I would say that one is overkill. I like panel trucks and sedan deliveries as well. I hope to get back on the sedan panel design.
    I love the proportions of your SD design and one huge advantage of not having fresh air behind the cab area is that it would be easy to incorporate rear support bars for a roll bar which would likely stiffen up the chassis even more. Oh darnit! Now there's 3 X 33's I want to build

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a fenderless (well bobbed fenders) Fleetside pickup with lift-off roof for Roadster capability?

Note doors are reprofiled in window area.

Martin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Three dimensional representation. Roadster soft-top and classic Speed-boat style lacquered wood bed cover.

Last edited by MT-ED; 01-29-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about a fenderless (well bobbed fenders) Fleetside pickup with lift-off roof for Roadster capability?

Note doors are reprofiled in window area.

Martin.
    Three dimensional representation. Roadster soft-top and classic Speed-boat style lacquered wood bed cover.

That's more like a Aussie UTE. I might do something like that only a little more refined.

The idea I had in mind is a Roadster/Coupe pickup I am also going to do a fenderless, bobbed fenders, full fenders versions, just haven't got to it yet. Still working on a blank side view on which everything else will be based.

I also have some ideas about different short running boards with bobbed fenders, as well an idea for a modified '36 or '37 grille.

MT-ED, I see you have some talent as well I see that our minds our thinking alike

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-29-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe! I used to own an Aussie Panel Van back in the 70's Must be some influence there. Actually I love El-Caminos and stuff, so there's influences there too. I'm really still learning my way around Photoshop. I used to do this kind of stuff with pens on paper years ago.

Sounds like you have some interesting ideas..........can't wait to see them. Oh! I love '37s, so that grille idea sounds cool.

Martin.
    Last edited by MT-ED; 01-29-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe! I used to own an Aussie Panel Van back in the 70's Must be some influence there. Actually I love El-Caminos and stuff, so there's influences there too. I'm really still learning my way around Photoshop. I used to do this kind of stuff with pens on paper years ago.

Sounds like you have some interesting ideas..........can't wait to see them. Oh! I love '37s, so that grille idea sounds cool.

Martin.
    I am old skool myself I do a lot of my ideas on paper first, just so I don't forget them....lol I still do a lot of drafting the old way, I can just move faster, I just do it in photoshop, once in a while I will use a couple of lite CAD programs I have, I just don't know them that well. I would love to own Solid Works. Nice thing about Photoshop and Illustrator is you can do layers and change things with using a eraser....lol

I love the 1st gen El Caminos a lot, '69 is the only other version I like.

Martin here is a link to a hot rod artist (I wish I had his talent) that I get a lot of ideas from.
    Gary Campesi http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/GaryC/vehicles

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 01-29-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG! That guy's art is sensational! Thanks so much for the link.

When you said "short running boards" I kind of went ??? Seeing this design I go "Oh yeah!" I can see something in milled billet aluminium with a rubber insert looking way cool.

It's funny, because I was wondering about Pontoon fenders and he features that kind of style in several illustrations. Have you seen Decorides stuff?

http://www.decorides.com/

I was wondering about how a Duval windshield would work too and Gary Campesi has them on several of his designs.
    Last edited by MT-ED; 01-30-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin, Yeah that Gary has some very cool ideas.

That is one of the renderings where I got the idea for different running boards, plus many of Gary's other renderings.

I have Deco Rides bookmarked Terry Cook has some great designs. I am pretty sure what little kit cars they do, they are not cheap. My favorite one is the Zephyr Sedan Delivery.

Yesterday I worked on the Roaster/Coupe Ute style. It's ok, I am not that into the Ute body style that much when it comes to 33-34 body. I think the Ute body style looks best on the '36-'37 body.

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 02-01-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is wierd............I feel like I'm talking to myself

I love the Ute style on 37's. One of my all-time favourite rods was a white '37 Ute with a big blower poking through the hood and big rubber on the back and perfect stance. It was in a report in an old copy of Street Rodder years ago. This body style............

And......lo and behold one of the cars on my bucket list in the "Cruiser" column is a rear wheel drive Deco Rides Zephyr Sedan Delivery. It would be on air-ride with purple candy over black paint so deep you could swim in it Sort of "Scrape" meets "Cadzzilla". Ever since I sold my VW Bug Panel I've wanted something that curvy shape again.

The thing with Terry Cook's designs is the very nature of their influence demands the car be finished to the very highest of standards and that takes deep deep pockets.

Lottery, wherefore art though?
    Last edited by MT-ED; 01-30-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lottery......lol, that's what I need big time.....lol

I think the thing that makes the '36-'37 look better is the more rounded shape of the fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    I added a new category and link in Post #1, '33 Roadster-Coupe Pickup Ute.

Here is a side view preview of the '33 Roadster-Coupe Pickup Ute. (full fendered)

with Tonneau Cover with fuel door.

Detail of bed, tonneau by cab.

Enjoy!
    David

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast