Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Softer springs for front end

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Softer springs for front end

Some have suggested softer springs for the the front of the 33 to improve handling. Does anyone know what model Koni shock the rod uses and where one might get springs?
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Yu can buy Eibach springs from Summit Racing. The part number tells you the diameter, length, and rate.

There are a lot of springs available from a lot of companies. As long as you pick the right specs, they will all fit and work just fine. However, there's a big difference between a $25 spring and a $75 spring, even if all the specs are the same. Spend the money and get the more expensive Eibach springs.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, you can get springs from Jegs or Summit. QA1 seems to make the least expensive and I started with trying those. I got the chrome 8" 2.5 ID 450lb for the front and the 10" 2.5ID 325lb for the rear on ebay. There's a huge thread on the other forum about spring setup and while some like the progressive spring, I think that if you get the tire pressure right you can keep it this stiff but going any softer on the spring and you'll get a ton of body roll in the corners. I've got mine set up for autocross right now at Eibachs 700lb front and FFR 500lb rear and can't wait to put the 450/325 setup back on. I wish there was an easy way to put a sway bar on the front of these cars; you could probably go as low as 400/275. Bob's right though, there is a huge difference in how springs are made. I've been to Eibach HQ here in Corona and they do it all in house and shot peen all their springs and test them before shipping. Pretty impressive.

e
    Last edited by ehansen007; 02-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    SPRINGS
    QA1 part# 9-450 (Front) Summit
    QA1 part# 12-175-350 (Rear) Summit

Have sent you a PM. Cheers.
    Last edited by Barrel; 02-19-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I ran into the cheap spring issue with our roundy round import cars we run on a local asphalt circle track. I "thought" the stock front springs were already 450, am I mistaken?
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maczter View Post
    I ran into the cheap spring issue with our roundy round import cars we run on a local asphalt circle track. I "thought" the stock front springs were already 450, am I mistaken?
    Yup. The fronts are 500#. Watch out for the 12" rear springs they sit really close to brackets on the axle housings. I had to beat mine into submission to get the springs on and when I did adjust-ability was very difficult. I still have mine if you want them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It was suggested that I try the QA-1's at Summit. Any opinions on those? The part number from Summit is HAL-12-175-350 and they are 12", are those the ones you are referring to Eric?
    Last edited by ehansen007; 02-20-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    FFR HR #530

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the QA1 Ultra Ride Rebound Adjustable Shock Absorbers with 8" 450# front and 10" 325# springs from Dan Ruth, a.k.a Dr. Ruth. The setup he supplied was very easy to install, with no spacers. I had to make the rear brackets a little concave to clear everything. I really wanted the adjustable shocks to tune the suspension.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Mac,

You were asking about the fronts only so I would use the 8" 450# QA1 if it's just for daily driving and the occasional track day. If you plan on hammering it at the track I would get the Eibach equivalent.

Jay, I really want to do the same setup you did. Have you been able to put any miles on the car yet to test them out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric,

Sorry, the car is not licensed yet, maybe in April, just a few small details before I get it safety inspected. Handles great at 30 mph, so far. I will let you know once I have done some testing.
    Last edited by Jay Mann; 02-21-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik, For the difference in price, the QA1 shocks with the single adjuster that affects both jounce and rebound (five bucks more) are what I used. I now have well over 1000 miles on them and a hard session at Road America's 4 mile track as part of the driving. On the street they're great and don't beat me up like the Koni's did on the softest setting. On the track I just cranked up the adjuster until the car was stable at around 125 MPH. No tools necessary for making those adjustments, just a twist of the knob.

Just remember to reset the shocks to near full soft before you drive the car home from the track!
    Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a lot of rises available from a lot of organizations. Provided that you choose the right specifications, they will all fit and perform just excellent. However, there's a big distinction between a $22 springtime and a $89 springtime, even if all the specifications are the same. Invest the cash and get the more costly greedy ones.

Dulles Airport Limo Services | Dulles Airport Limousine | Dulles Airport Limousine Service | Dulles Limo | Dulles Limousine
    Last edited by Schmities; 11-13-2015 at 08:07 AM.