Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: how does this look for mounting the a/c?

Post Thanks / Like

how does this look for mounting the a/c?

Hey Guys - any reason I can't mount the a/c unit here? I haven't found any instructions pertaining to the a/c install for the Gen 1 cars and the few pics I have found seem to show everybody pushing it all the way to the right - which makes it difficult to route the hoses without kinks, extra elbows, etc. If I put it right here, I can easily curve all the hoses as needed and keep them out of the passenger foot well as much as possible. Is there anything I am missing?IMG_1056.jpgIMG_1057.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    This is probably something that changes depending on which AC unit you have. I have the Classic Auto Air system and it has a condensate drain at the bottom of the housing. The key to locating the AC unit is that the condensation drain tube must go out through the firewall in the V created by the chassis tubes. That means there is a specific location where the AC gets mounted. In my case, it will be even more inboard than shown in your pics. Sorry, no photos - mounting the AC is one of the next things on the list, so I've been researching the mounting issue lately. HTH Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    My drain tube is on the inside of the car. It follows the diagonal frame piece down to the lower right corner of the pass side footwell and then out thru a space between the frame and the body.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah - the drain outlet was the only possible issue that I can see because it was starting to interfere with the trans tunnel and might make removal pretty difficult, but I just spaced it to the rear about an inch and it should be fine - can run the drain hose to wherever needed.
    I did finally stumble across the instructions specific to this unit and they still show moving it outboard a few more inches, but I think I am going to go with it as is.
    Has anybody run an under cowl wiper setup with this ac system installed? I am not sure there would be any room left on the pass side unless the motor is tiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the instructions for the AC install in Gen 1

http://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conten...ER-HOT-ROD.pdf
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah - that is the the link that I finally found from your build thread - Thanks! makes it much clearer.

8. Likes FF33rod liked this post