Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucky's 33 Hot Rod build #524

Post Thanks / Like

Woodie

Man, the weather has been brutal around here this winter, eventually I did manage to remove the engine/transmission so I could get the firewall powder coated.
    I have been spending just about as much time cutting and gathering firewood to heat my garage that I think my Hot Rod should be qualified to be called a Woodie!
    pictures attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Dynaliner

I was researching different insulation materials since everyone says the firewall really transmits the heat into the car, I sprayed the inside of the firewall with both Lizard SC & CI then installed this stuff called Dynaliner, 1/2 inch thickness is supposed to drop the temp from 220 F to 70 F, that's 150 degrees!
    I put it 1 inch thick on the inside of the firewall so I should be good for 300 degrees! That means if it is 250 F on the outside of the firewall, it should be -50 F inside the car, man I won't even have to install AC, we'll see how it works this summer.
    I also installed the electra-steer, that was like starting all over again with the steering but I eventually got it installed.
    pictures attached:
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You won't regret the extra insulation. Nice job.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job Nevin, you'll be so grateful when it's 90+ in the summer. I'd run it all the way down to the bottom of the foot boxes if you haven't already planed on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea. Wished I'd seen this before I got hanging stuff!!
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Nevin! Just be aware that the flange of the body around the firewall goes on the inside and may get in the way of the Dynaliner. Also, what is that extra bracket clamped onto your frame for the steering? Is that a new set up or?

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good comments guys. Evan, yes I know I may have to trim some of the insulation at the top of the firewall to bolt the body on. That extra bracket on the steering shaft is part of the Coyote package, the purpose is so the headers can clear the steering shaft.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, I had a feeling it something to do with your specific application...carry on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great info Nevin. I like the dynaliner. I sprayed the outside of my firewall with lizardskin. I think, after looking at your pictures, that I will put fatmat vibration insulation on the inside and put dynaliner on top of that. I read on the dynamat web site that dynaliner can be used under the carpet as a carpet pad. Seems like that might be a good solution to the floor heat from the exhaust problem. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rcotner View Post
    Great info Nevin. I like the dynaliner. I sprayed the outside of my firewall with lizardskin. I think, after looking at your pictures, that I will put fatmat vibration insulation on the inside and put dynaliner on top of that. I read on the dynamat web site that dynaliner can be used under the carpet as a carpet pad. Seems like that might be a good solution to the floor heat from the exhaust problem. Any thoughts?
    Yes, I plan on using the Dynaliner on the floor under the carpet, it will be awhile until I get to that point though.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nevin:
    I'm using a Coyote and have installed the A/C compressor like yours have you sourced connectors for your compressor? or maybe you are not going with A/C?

Don (Texas)

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I haven't sourced the A/C connectors yet, but I believe Mike Everson has on a customer Hot Rod build he is doing, maybe send him a PM or go to his build page entitled "Started a new Hot Rod build today".
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like

sorry pic came out so big but only ones I've found so far are from Sean Hyland Motorsport, they are $149 which I thought was a little high. Have you guys found any other place? I'm still wondering if the f150 compressor has the older style fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

Build Thread Update

Well it's been 9 months since I have updated this build thread; one of my daughters had some serious legal problems that I had to take care of and I had to put the build on hold for 8 months; I am glad that 2014 is over and hope 2015 is much more enjoyable.
    Back in November I did get a couple of days working on the Hot Rod and installed some adjustable upper and lower control arms I purchased from Dr. Ruth.

a few pictures are attached:
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 02-08-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like

33 Hot Rod Build Update

In January I started on the wiring, I decided to put my fuse box above the pedal box as my reservoirs are on the out side firewall; this way I can change fuses without having to crawl under the dash. Also installed the condenser for the AC, currently trying to figure out how and where I am going to install the overflow tank.

pictures:
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 02-04-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming along very nice. Great job!

Post Thanks / Like

33 Build Update

We have had a rough winter, all the way through the end of March we were in the single digits temperature so needless to say not much work was done on the Hot Rod during that time frame. Since April I have been getting time to work on it & did manage to get some of the wiring done while working toward first start. Got the PCM connected, installed the battery, cut off switch, fuel lines, radiator hoses, filled with oil & coolant, etc.

pictures attached:
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how neat the build is, keep it up! Also, I like the shifter knob, very unique
    Michael
    Coupe #675 "Eloise"

10/14/14 Coupe Ordered - 1/29/15 Coupe Delivered - 5/1/16 First Start
    Build Thread - Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you back on it! Looking Good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin,

Great looking build! Happy to hear the weather is moderating out there and you're able to resume work on the car! As you are getting close to "first start", where did you mount the oil filter? The remote filter mount sent with the kit will not let the filter "can" fit in the space F5 suggests.

Thanks !

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,
    Bruce - I put the filter right on the block where it normally goes, I picked up a filter for a Cadillac CTS-V and it fits right on the block, it's a short one.
    Yes, I actually did my first start a little over a week ago but I am having trouble getting my shaky video posted, will probably get it posted tonight.

thanks,
    Nevin
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like

First Start

About 2 weeks ago I thought I had everything done to complete the first start, I went through my check list - PCM mounted & connected, power distribution box wired & mounted, battery installed, ignition switch wired, enough of the wiring harness completed to accomplish the start, I even mounted the stock mustang airbox & MAF sensor (even though it stuck out way past the side of the engine bay) So, I turn on the key, I see the PCM green light come on, I here the fuel pump running, check the pressure - it was at 60 so i adj. back to 55 psi. turn the key to start, it starts turning the engine over which means the PCM likes what he sees after checking the sensors, etc. but it was to no avail, no-start, it just kept cranking & cranking. The next day I called Ford Racing tech support, they had me run a separate ground wire from the PCM all the way to the negative side of the battery, had me check the voltage on the fuel injectors, it checked 12 v like it should, then they had me get some NOID lights and connect them to the injectors (basically they check that the injectors are getting a ground to the other side), this test failed; they suggested I get a new crank trigger sensor which I did, replaced it and still no start! Ford Racing sent me a wiring diagram-pin out of the engine harness (the problem was that the injectors were not getting a ground from the PCM - each injector is grounded at the correct time in the intake stroke so the plug can fire the fuel charge but none of my injectors were getting the ground from the PCM, this sequence is supposed to be kicked off by the crank sensor detecting the engine is turning over. So I started removing connectors & wiring sheaths to ohm out the individual wires. To save you the boredom of the details, I found 7 broken wires in the harness from the engine to the PCM, I soldered them back together and heat shrinked them & wrapped them back into the bundle. After that I reconnected the PCM, etc. and the next time I hit the start, It FIRED RIGHT UP! What a relief. (This is a used engine/transmission & apparently whoever deinstalled it used a crow bar to disconnect the PCM) Note: this whole process took about a week to complete, so this has to be the longest first start in history!

Pictures attached & link below to shaky video:
    https://youtu.be/sGlFn5f8sJo
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 06-02-2015 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin,

Thanks for the oil filter info. Sorry to hear about the hassle with the wiring! However, happy to hear about the immediate start when everything was corrected!!! So, was the inclusion in the video of the side of your snow blower a subtle "artistic" reminder of the weather you've had to endure? LOL
    Congrats on the first start! And thanks for the tips and help!

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Go Cart

After getting the engine to fire, I needed to get the brakes bled and get the clutch working (it is a hydraulic throw out bearing - stock Ford) I had earlier ordered and received a Wilwood master cyl from FFR to install in the clutch position then I needed to get a hydraulic line to connect the master to the TOB. I got a Mcleod flex line with the proper connector for the TOB then I had to get an AN4 to inverted flair adapter to connect the master cyl. Got it all connected, filled the reservoir, then it took me a couple of hours to bleed the clutch but then it wasn't giving me enough travel to allow it to shift into gear with the engine running, eventually I remembered that the master cyl piston rod had about an inch of adjustment so I cranked it back as far as it would go and viola! It went into gear and shifted with the engine running so it was only fitting that I take a go cart ride and that's exactly what I did yesterday, It was a good feeling to get that accomplished!

Here is video, part 1 & part 2 (my daughter took the video with my phone)
    You can't see or hear me after I got out of the driveway but believe me it was a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nbfbZ3ir2E
    https://youtu.be/kx0RNvCnBAY
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Nevin!!!! Huge Milestone!!! You should have a pretty fun Summer from here on out. --I

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Looks good, and sounds fantastic! Have fun with it this summer!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing sounds great, nice job

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andy, Jay, & Tom,
    Yesterday I received the parts from Summit & got the air intake & filter installed, it fits pretty good, runs good; picture attached.

When I go carted the chassis, I noticed the steering had a bind in it at a certain point of a turn; even after connecting all of the wiring for the power steering, it still has a bind, I think it's in one of the U-joints but I took it all apart & checked for metal to metal contact, found none. I disconnected all of the U-joints and it's not in the first 2 starting at the steering wheel, also the electra-steering unit itself is not biding, it seem to start when I connect the 3rd & 4th U-joints (starting at the steering wheel) but I cannot see anything touching when turning the wheel, I am at a loss for the cause. Did any of you who put the Coyote in the Hot Rod have a similar problem? (because the steering setup for the Coyote has one extra U-joint to get around the headers)

pics:
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 06-14-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    1 also have the coyote set up, no binding on my go carting adventure but from your pictures your angle on those joints may be a little steep.

Ang

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those joints look very tight. Couple things to check. 1 would be to make absolutely sure the DD shaft doesn't extend into the body of the joint and make contact at some point in the turn. 2 I would try sliding the split collars down the tube a little to get less angle. this may require adjustment to the short DD next to the firewall. I used your dynaliner photo for reference and that joint next to the PS unit looks the tightest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I dissembled the U-joints and moved the pillow block with the split collars down the frame tube about 2 inches & had to cut the short D shaft going to the U-joint at the firewall. The hardest part was trying to drill the holes for the locking bolts that go through the clamps because I originally drilled these holes before I installed the engine but now I couldn't even get a short drill between the tube and the headers so I marked the frame tube on both sides and drilled straight through from the outside of the frame all the while I was hoping I would come through the inside tube at the correct spot & everything worked out ok. So it doesn't bind up anymore. Thanks for the help guys.

Before & after pictures attached:
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 06-15-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Can't wait to start my build. Still saving my pennys

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin, i'm glad that worked for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed the ujoints in my coyote build. I think I ended up placing mine about the same location as yours. How far down from the top of the shaft to the pillow block? How well does it clear your headers? I won't be getting my coyote for a few months so I have been guessing up until now.
    My build site : www.ScootinThunder33.com

Post Thanks / Like
    After moving mine to correct spot, it is 4 & 3/4 in. from upper left clamp to upper left weld joint; and from lower right clamp to lower right weld joing = 9 & 3/4 in. this gives about 1/2 inch clearance to FFR BBK header. which seems to be plenty of clearance to me.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's been quite a while since I have posted on my build, over a year & a half; I actually have done some work on the hot rod over that time but for the most part, I have not been able to work on it. My wife & I have both had medical problems, she was actually in ICU for a week & in the hospital for 2 months with lots of recovery time so you have to change your priorities in life. Things are getting back to normal now, she is still recovering but getting better. So over the past couple of months I have been able to get about half of the wiring done & I made a hinged panel to mount the PDM under the dash, then be able to lower it down so I can see the LEDs after the body is on. I also moved the Electra Steer control module onto my hinged panel.
    I will have more upgrades in the next couple of weeks.

pictures:
    Last edited by H R Lucky; 02-28-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin, good to hear from you. I like that hinged panel. Keep at it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad both of you are doing better! Keep up the posts. Godspeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevin-

So sorry to hear about the medical challenges. Very pleased that they are behind you; I hope they stay that way!

Glad to hear you are back at your build. Your car is way too cool not to finish her up!

Thanks for keeping us updates, and posting your progress.

Regards,

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast