Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MSD Ignition problems

Post Thanks / Like

MSD Ignition problems

Gents,
    Anyone having any suggestions as to why my MSD 6AL Ignition module keeps dying would be greatly appreciated. I am now on my third module which BTW died today after only running 1 hour...another tow home much to my dismay.
    The problem seems to be on the input trigger circuit of these modules as once they have quit working they don't static test per the MSD diagnostics procedure. I am at wits end as now I need to have a tow truck follow me around town...it's not a pretty convoy! Seriously though I'm beginning to think these boxes are way too fragile for the application. My coupe has a Ford 392 Stroker 475 HP P/N M6007C392RT) engine with an MSD ignition system consisting of an MSD 8202 Coil, MSD 6AL Ignition module and MSD distributor with mag pickup.
    If anyone has a fix I'd love to know about it or if a recommendation for a better system I'm all ears.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
    Don

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you have good grounds to all the electronics. Bad grounds will cause these type problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything that causes a surge of any kind, or rapid changes in current can kill a module pretty fast. Simple things like corroded terminals in the main batter switch, or a loose connection in the charging circuit. Go through your entire electrical system; check for good and redundant grounds, loose connections, etc. You might also consider replacing the alternator - especially if it is a 1 wire.

Also, install a filter to protect the box.

Adding a Capacitor:
    Here's the part you may have heard of, but never paid much attention to. Adding a capacitor when installing an MSD offers several advantages and is very benificial to a long lasting ignition. MSD calls it a "Noise Filter," but it is simply just a cap. Typically, these are used to help filter out any radiated noise from the ignition to your electrical system which can cause some radiated noise through your stereo. For most of us this won't be a problem. The important thing is that this cap also filters the power going to the MSD. This will prevent power surges and spikes from damaging the MSD. Things like jump-starting your car are very tough on sensitive parts, but using a cap will provide the protection you need.

http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wi...sd-install.htm
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have said, check your wiring. Need an absolutely solid ground and power feed. Hopefully you have those wired direct and not through a connector. You will get lots of people jumping on board talking about their bad experiences with MSD, while others (like me) that haven't had issues. In the end, it's an electronic part that can and will fail. But failing three indicates something else is wrong.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.