Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep the ABS brakes on the 818R?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    Did you have your ABS controller replaced under the technical service bulletin (TSB) for 2002 and 2003 WRX's? This was a common complaint that Subaru attempted to address, although I don't know how much difference it made since I never had the service performed on my car. I put 130k on my 02 WRX and I experienced this issue several times.
    Yes, I had that done way back when. The difference was noticable but not significant.

With due respect to the OP, who tried to refocus this thread to his original question, I'd like to add something to the other things that have been said. Rather than dwell on my experience as a controls technician I think I'll just say a couple outrageous things which should connect a few neurons. I think the turboys will love this. Here goes.

1) Mass and mass distribution of a car have no effect on the performance of an ABS system because, ultimately, it is all controlled by a smart box. In other words, you can put the WRX ABS in an 818.

2) Flow rates and orifice sizes of a turbo system have no effect on the performance of the engine because, ultimately, it is all controlled by a smart box. In other words, you can use the factory TD04 wastegate on an aftermarket GT3076 turbo.

Alright, I might not have phrased my comparison perfectly, but I hope I've made my point. If anyone wishes, I can ramble on about mechanical systems, controls, loops, and the mysterious box, but I really hope that's not needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the middle of cleaning parts from my donor and it appears the ABS sensors use the axles for indicating wheel speed, so when the front no longer has the axles what would you use for the sensors to read? Please correct me if I am mistaken, or if I am correct, please let me know your thoughts on options. Thanks and happy building.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The sensor rings will have to be attached somehow... perhaps disassembling the axle from the cv joint and just running that portion. Never seen it done though.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm fairly confident that FFR will reuse the gutted out CV joint shell. SOMETHING has to be put through the knuckle to keep the bearings together, and FFR generally uses as much of the donor as possible - so I'm sure that the tone rings will still be on the car, if desired.

Post Thanks / Like

Half of the outboard CV Joint

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    I'm fairly confident that FFR will reuse the gutted out CV joint shell. SOMETHING has to be put through the knuckle to keep the bearings together, and FFR generally uses as much of the donor as possible - so I'm sure that the tone rings will still be on the car, if desired.
    This picture shows exactly that. They have used the gutted CVs , the tone wheels, and pick-up sensors do stay with them. You have to look very closely, it's not all that clear. I have already gutted mine and have the front hubs ready for the wheels. Not a problem.

front coil over.jpg20130423_064033.jpg20130423_064009.jpg

I've added pics of my "ready" brake/wheel hub parts.
    Last edited by freds; 04-23-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Add photos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the responses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12