Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Full fender drivability/durability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Full fender drivability/durability

Planning a full fender 33. Street cruiser, Coyote, 5 speed. I am a little concerned about handleing and durability when a full fender car cruises at 70-80. Would the air stream into the fenders tend to lighten the front end or buffet and damage the fender to side panel fasteners.

Does anyone have experience of putting freeway speed miles on a full fendered car? Any problems?

Thanks
    Dick Sipp

Post Thanks / Like
    Check with Dan Ruth on the hot rod lincoln
    I think he has a few miles on a full fender car
    Dale

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think "normal" highway speeds are a concern for the front end lifting and losing traction. Boneville or a ractrack at 100+ mph might be a concern though. Most people add some support to the front fenders to prevent damage and flopping around of the fenders. Just bolting to the side panels might not be enough, especially if you have rough roads. The larger issue with full fenders is the ground clearence. You might want to set the chassis up for higher ground clearence as the running boards stick below the frame a inch and a half or so.

Post Thanks / Like

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    I don't think "normal" highway speeds are a concern for the front end lifting and losing traction. Boneville or a ractrack at 100+ mph might be a concern though. Most people add some support to the front fenders to prevent damage and flopping around of the fenders. Just bolting to the side panels might not be enough, especially if you have rough roads. The larger issue with full fenders is the ground clearence. You might want to set the chassis up for higher ground clearence as the running boards stick below the frame a inch and a half or so.
    I agree on both counts, I raised my 33 by 2" because of the 3.25" of ground clearance under the R boards when built to FF specs
    FWIW
    I asked Dave Smith just this weekend at HB if they had ever wind tunneled the 33. He said no but that he thought a full fender car would get too light by 130-140 MPH if you were doing top speed runs like a standing mile or the salt flats. He said it would likely need aero work front and back due to lift from the fenders/R boards and the overall shape of the back and top causing lift as well.
    DB