FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electrical panel and A/C fit suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Electrical panel and A/C fit suggestions?

The hardest part of a build for me is wiring. I was planning on mounting the electric panel on an aluminum plate on the backside of the firewall. Then I decided to live it up and add A/C. Do I need to change plan and move the panel to the trunk?

Wipers are on my list and have not decided on what to buy. Suggestions? They may interfere with the under dash useable space too. Anyone with experience on these parts, let me know.

Hotrodneil

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The A/C takes up all the dash from center to left side. See wallace18 build thread for pictures. You can mount your electric panel in the trunk or make a center console and mount it there. I made a center console for my radio and P/W switches. Also it allows you to hide lots of wire out of site. I added a center arm rest/console for my electric door electronics and alarm system. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-19-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    The A/C takes up all the ash from center to ls. See wallace18 build thread for pictures. You can mount your electric panel in the trunk or make a center console and mount it there. I made a center console for my radio and P/W switches. Also it allows you to hide lots of wire out of site. I added a center arm rest/console for my electric door electronics and alarm system. I hope this helps.
    Sounds like some interesting alternatives I hadn't considered. Photos?
    Thanks much

Neil
    Last edited by [email protected]; 04-19-2013 at 08:13 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    what is "ash from center to ls? Sounds like some interesting alternatives I hadn't considered. Photos?
    Thanks much

Neil
    see my edit. Sorry! look at wallace18 build thread for photos. posts 54 and 72 should help.
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-19-2013 at 05:17 AM.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can also mount the fuse panel to the left of the steering column on the pedal box (if you have an automatic and no clutch pedal). it's a tight fit and you have to modify the mounting panel, but it works and the wires are long enough. It makes it easier to get to it also - I hate trying to work upside down under a dash to work on wiring no to mention get to the fuses.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrowhead's build photos

Looks crowded under your dash. A/C to the right, electrical panel to the left, but it looks like the A/C interferes with the panel. So you have 3 layers of aluminum? The firewall, an inner firewall to mount A/C to and the electrical panel AFTER (?) the A/C installed. It looks like it doesn't fit and the panel can't come down when the body is installed.

Any more pix or descriptions would be a help.

Thanks

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Looks crowded under your dash. A/C to the right, electrical panel to the left, but it looks like the A/C interferes with the panel. So you have 3 layers of aluminum? The firewall, an inner firewall to mount A/C to and the electrical panel AFTER (?) the A/C installed. It looks like it doesn't fit and the panel can't come down when the body is installed.

Any more pix or descriptions would be a help.

Thanks

Neil
    HaHa yes, it is crowded. There are two computers, a relay panel A/C, heat, power steering control box, plus all the regular stuff. Not sure what picture you saw, but there have been couple of revisions. The aluminum panel is hinged and folds up so it sits flush with the bottom of the dash. I mounted switches on the bottom so they can stay with the chassis and stay hooked up if I take the body off.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is an impressive collection of wiring. How is it working out? I am hoping to keep mine simple, but with the A/C there I suspect simple is not an option.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    HaHa well not that impressive, it's a mess even though I spent a lot of time trying to keep it tiidy. It "works" just fine and haven't had any electrical problems in 6000 miles. But I solder all my connections and splices, no crimp connectors except for a few temporary ones. The custom wiring for the engine I did isn't too bad, the biggest mess is the Ron Fransis premade harness, lots of of unneeded connectors and that makes it bulky. There are a lot of wires for the A/C unit too. I am in the process of redoing the wiring to the engine compartment (well I bought the parts anyway). I got (2) 20 connector weatherpack bulkhead fittings so they can go neatly through the firewall. Right now all the wires are just run though a hole in the trans tunnel and sealed up. I'm also going to eliminate some of the unneeded connectors on the main harness so that should clean it up quite a bit.
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 04-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Neil,

You could consider using one of my defrost headers. Frees up some space in the area of the AC unit.

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley Customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tim,

How does the header fit in with the wiper system? which wipers works best with your header? Does the header replace the FFRs defrost set up? Can I see an illustration? Does it change where I put the A/C unit?

Thanks

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One customer reported it needed a slight modification, others have not had to do so. This is with the Specialty Power Windows wiper system. It works in conjunction with the FFR supplied AC unit. A picture can be seen on my web site.