Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyote Update - My experience (Tune or no tune?)

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct. That is the combination I used, and there was no need to modify the frame with the mid-shift. It fit perfectly as is!
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Slider,

I think I know the answer but want to verify... Coyote with QuickTime bell housing and TKO-600 - does the mid shift require frame modification to the cross brace on too of the tunnel? I think the answer is no. Just checking.

Thanks

Kevin
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    The track weekend went great, zero problems with the engine, and man that coyote is a beast! Zero overheating with 3 -20 min session per day in 90 degree heat. I did see the oil temp creep up to 120 C (248) which is a bit hot, so I will be installing an oil cooler. I did not see this on the street, even driving for an hour in LA traffic and high heat, but I guess driving 120-140 mph for 20 min straight adds a little more heat! full write up in the 65 coupe thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.7 KB, 102 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.9 KB, 89 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.2 KB, 86 views)
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Read your write-up and watched your videos! Very cool. I just got my car back from the bodyshop this morning, and am hoping for the state inspection tomorrow. It's killing me not to be able to drive it on the street right now. Though with pretty much same set up as you (though in the roadster) I'm actually a bit nervous! I'll be taking it very easy this summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoon View Post
    The track weekend went great, zero problems with the engine, and man that coyote is a beast! Zero overheating with 3 -20 min session per day in 90 degree heat. I did see the oil temp creep up to 120 C (248) which is a bit hot, so I will be installing an oil cooler. I did not see this on the street, even driving for an hour in LA traffic and high heat, but I guess driving 120-140 mph for 20 min straight adds a little more heat! full write up in the 65 coupe thread.
    BUILT WITH MY DAD! - MK4, 5.0 Coyote, TK0 600 with Mid-Shift, Hydraulic Clutch, Power Steering, Custom Built Stainless 4:1:4 Headers by "Stainless Headers", Dual-Rollbars, 15" Wheels, Foot Box Vents and Seat Heaters, Patriot Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes Kit arrived: June 2, 2012 - Driving: May 22, 2013
    BUILDING WITH MY DAD! - Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe, Gen3 Coyote, TKO 600, IRS, Hydraulic Clutch, PS, Stainless headers, 17" wheels, Race Seats, GPS Gauges Ordered 1-30-2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a word to the wise...the roadster is lighter, twitchier, and is prone to snap oversteer. Be VERY judicious with the throttle until you really get a good handle on things. My first track day with the challenge car I spun out 3 times, and I had never spun anything before! And that was with 225 hp! Now double the fun and things can get very interesting in one big hurry!
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    My attempt at mellowing it out at a street car is power steering, 8-9 degrees of caster and a slow steering rack... Will help a little but that is still relative to the fact this thing wil be radically different than a production street car (even highly modified Mustangs that I have driven for the last 20 years). I'm sure I will hear the car whispering to me "the day you take me for granted is the day I bite you".

The rest is just knowing your own abilities (or lack there of) and slowly getting to know the car.

Isn't this fun!

Kevin

Just a word to the wise...the roadster is lighter, twitchier, and is prone to snap oversteer. Be VERY judicious with the throttle until you really get a good handle on things. My first track day with the challenge car I spun out 3 times, and I had never spun anything before! And that was with 225 hp! Now double the fun and things can get very interesting in one big hurry!
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed! This is pretty much the exact opposite of a mustang! Just so you know...
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, this is the part that has my attention.

Not necessarily too worried about learning the new car, more worried about unlearning my Mustang habits that may not translate well to this car.

Kevin

Indeed! This is pretty much the exact opposite of a mustang! Just so you know...
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, unlearning old habits is challenging. I did a two day driving course with Racing Adventures, at the time they were using challenge cars as their school car. It was totally a worthwhile experience. Not sure if they're still around, but I would totally recommend it as cheap insurance for anyone learning to drive a Cobra!
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12