Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shipping two kits to Colorado - OUCH!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shipping two kits to Colorado - OUCH!!!

Quoted 10 days and over $3200!!!

Anyone have any luck with anyone that's not Stewart?

At this point driving the 4,000 miles with our enclosed is a better deal. $1500 in fuel and 4 days on the road doesn't seem so bad, but I guess it's all relative.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post

At this point driving the 4,000 miles with our enclosed is a better deal. $1500 in fuel and 4 days on the road doesn't seem so bad, but I guess it's all relative.
    I was quoted over 1500 to florida. It was way cheaper for me to pick it up. I suggest it very much if you can. FFR is great to visit.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It was $1400 to ship my Roadster to California back in 2001. I couldn't drive it round-trip (fuel, meals, hotels, wear/tear on the truck etc.) for that. Plus time off work....

It was money well spent to me.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been to FFR twice now, once on our own before this whole thing started and then again for the open house.

The first trip was on April 15th..... that was an interesting time to be in Boston, but I digress.

The only other real issue with going with another LTL shipper is they'll need crates which adds $1400 to the total. I very much doubt if we could find someone willing to ship for less than $1800 so in the end we may just suck it up and pay the $1600 each. Never thought I'd have $13,500 into this before I even started but it'll be well worth it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't seem that bad. I just paid $2k to ship a single kit to Oregon. And I thought that price was reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    LTL for a crate to Fresno California was $5600 back in 2002. The problem with them is that they charge by the floor used since they can't stack anything on top of the crate and not much will fit along side of the crate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid 1400.00 to ship to Georgia but next time, I think I'll just pick it up..............oops... that indicates I want to do this again

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is our next project (http://www.thunderranch.com/356.html) and I think that I'll just bite the bullet and drive out to pick it up. It's less than 8-miles from the house. But, yeah the shipping cost does add to the $$$$ doesn't it.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was $1500 shipped to Minnesota. So two kits @ $1600 each to Colorado doesn't seem all that bad, especially since Colorado is a good deal further from Massachusetts than Minnesota. Still, a $3200 tag has to be a little painful..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Sixstar
    If you come through Cincinnati, I'll sell you a trailer. Anybody is welcome to borrow it if they bring it back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-23-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob your a good dude...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, you are turning into quite the gentlemen! I might have to take you up on the offer next year when I get home and it comes time to get my kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killerrudy View Post
    Bob, you are turning into quite the gentlemen! I might have to take you up on the offer next year when I get home and it comes time to get my kit.
    I may need an excuse to go to MA again. I'll lend you the trailer if I can ride along.
    Heck with that. I'll put a hitch on my 818 and be the first to tow one with one.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-24-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know
    4 days 4000 miles
    1000 miles a day towing
    3,200 dollars
    you would spend 1,500 on fuel anyways
    so for 1,700 minus food, hotels, and tolls, you are going to run wide out for 4 days
    let us know if it was worth it after you do that trip.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    This is our next project (http://www.thunderranch.com/356.html)
    356 speedster, and right around the corner in El Cajon... nice! If my wife sees that, she'll want one after I build my 818. Speaking of which, if Stewart's on time, it should be out for delivery this weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    356 speedster, and right around the corner in El Cajon... nice! If my wife sees that, she'll want one after I build my 818. Speaking of which, if Stewart's on time, it should be out for delivery this weekend!
    The Thunder Ranch Speedster was at the top of my build list for several years as well. I even visited them a few years back, and was most impressed. It's a nice product. However, a certain amount of website inactivity made me a little nervous about whether they would be there for the long term. And in fact, a year or so back, Tom Mcburnie sold Thunder Ranch to a new set of owners, which now call themselves Carrera Coachwerks. I'm glad the company didn't just go away. If the new owners do a good job carrying on, this will probably still be one of the best places to buy a replica Speedster, 550 Spyder, or 904. Most of the other makers are either selling complete cars or just-add -engine rollers.

If FFR hadn't come along when they did with the 818 Project, it is very likely that one of those Speedster kits would be in my garage right now!
    Last edited by Silvertop; 10-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After getting the entire horror story from another local 818 owner involving Stewart it's been decided that they're not going to be our shipper.

THe good new is FFR is willing to make a stack crate for us so one larger taller crate vs. two, should save us quite a bit!

Post Thanks / Like

THe good new is FFR is willing to make a stack crate for us so one larger taller crate vs. two, should save us quite a bit!
    Well good for Factory Five! That is a very customer centric solution they came up with.

I am pleased to hear that you will be able to get your 818's home. Very elegant solution.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    With so many people having a good experience with Stewart, I'm honestly a bit surprised. Is it possible that situation was the exception? And/or that the person who gave you that info only gave you their [skewed] side of the story?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    With so many people having a good experience with Stewart, I'm honestly a bit surprised. Is it possible that situation was the exception? And/or that the person who gave you that info only gave you their [skewed] side of the story?
    Well, I'm expecting mine to be delivered by Stewart Saturday morning; I'll let you know how it goes...

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a not-started Roadster kit in Chicago.

Left Atlanta on Friday evening. Loaded up on Saturday morning in Chicago. Arrived back in Atlanta just after midnight on Sunday morning. Just consider it part of the experience.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    This is our next project (http://www.thunderranch.com/356.html) and I think that I'll just bite the bullet and drive out to pick it up. It's less than 8-miles from the house. But, yeah the shipping cost does add to the $$$$ doesn't it.

Ray
    Ray,
    The other half needs something more than VW power...:

http://www.customcoachwerks.com/250-gto/

250-gto-carreracoachwerks-8.jpg

Sorry for thread jacking. FWIW, I have a buddy in the transport business. pm me if need contact info. Located mid west.
    U.S. NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC (RETIRED)