Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1 step closer to getting ready for my kit.

Post Thanks / Like

1 step closer to getting ready for my kit.

I've got a pretty good set-up garage wise for building my 818, lots off space, heated, hoist etc... but I've never had a mini bar fridge, got 2 today at Target, in store special, $29.99 each. I'm still in shock, that's givin em away IMO. Not a drinker but do like my water and pop cold, just thought I'd share my good fortune.
    Whats on your garage wish list? Other than your kit.
    Finn

Post Thanks / Like
    Just invested in a quality Quincy air compressor. 3.5hp, 60 gallon, 14cfm at 90psi. I've never had air tools before. Looking forward to finding out how useful having air is going to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metros,

Air power is wonderful. You'll like it. Change oil fairly often (usually 30 wt non-detergent).

Large inside diameter lines or hoses move air nicely. Get a filter/dryer/pressure regulator in the system and you'll be happy. Keep your air tools lubed.

John

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so bummed, I went to my Target and they don't have that deal nice set up you have there, air tools are like winning the lottery!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    12000 btu Mini Split AC Heat pump. May not get cold enough for the heat but my garage is no longer a sauna as I keep it at 76 degrees.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Just invested in a quality Quincy air compressor. 3.5hp, 60 gallon, 14cfm at 90psi. I've never had air tools before. Looking forward to finding out how useful having air is going to be.
    Dude, get the air Rivet Gun. That alone justifies the air setup! You'll see. Make sure you do at least one with the rivet gun first to see the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ I was already planning on that. That was actually a big plus in the decision to invest in air tools. Thats a lot of rivets to be done by hand. Now I just need to get 220 installed in the garage.

I spent around $500 at harbor freight this weekend picking up less frequently used tools. Think im going to get 1/2 inch air line in a retractable reel and mount that in the ceiling. Should make managing the line a lot easier.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Grats on the fridges. You may not drink but having a few cold ones around for your buddies is a great motivator. Especially when it's time to hump the engine in.

A new insulated garage door is on my list, Wife just signed off on it, just need to pick it out and order it. With the walls and ceiling now insulated I should be able to keep it cozy with just a space heater. Bring on the snow days!

Also using the hand riveter is not bad at all, I think I'd rather do it manually, then listen to my compressor chugging away all afternoon.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 10-21-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    The air riveter barely uses air, my 5hp, 30 gallon almost never kicks on.

Beware of the hose on the HF reel, mine didn't last a year before it cracked and leaked. Just bought the new hose this weekend. The reel does help a ton, hang it in the center. I use a 25 foot extension for longer needs/driveway work.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post

Beware of the hose on the HF reel, mine didn't last a year before it cracked and leaked. Just bought the new hose this weekend. The reel does help a ton, hang it in the center. I use a 25 foot extension for longer needs/driveway work.
    Anyone care to recommend an inexpensive air riveter that works well and is reliable? Something from HF maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the HF pneumatic riveter for my Cobra. It never let me down. Quality definitely not like the rivet guns I used in the Marine Corps (helo mech), but it is well worth the money.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Also using the hand riveter is not bad at all, I think I'd rather do it manually, then listen to my compressor chugging away all afternoon.
    That's my plan, at least for now. I'm building in a friend's garage... we have 3 cars already and a 2 car garage, he has 2 cars and a 3.5 car garage and offered the extra space, but he doesn't have a compressor. I bought a decent hand riveter, so by the time I finish, my forearms may end up looking like:
    817-Popeye.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post

I didn't pick up my hose/reel from harbor freight as I figured what happened to you would happen to me in a few months.

Can we turn this thread into a garage optimization thread?

I'm adding 3 large fluorescent lights to the garage. Something I wish I had done a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    the HF riveter works fine, mine has close to 3000 cycles on it...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can we turn this thread into a garage optimization thread?

I'm adding 3 large fluorescent lights to the garage. Something I wish I had done a long time ago.
    Lights... I added two of the hanging fluorescents (with 6000k lamps) and replaced the opener's bulb and origninal lights with 6000k CCFLs. I'd like more, but the 6000k really helps.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Step 2
    I had to get rid of something to make room for the build, I put 3 cars up for sale, all sunny weather cars, 1 had to go, later today the new owner of my 87 Porsche 930 will take my baby away, Keith (that's what I call her) is going to a good home, the new owner is a P-car fanatic and it was love at first sight. Feels like I've lost an old friend, I can start the search for a donor car and order the kit in a few days time and that's the up side but it's a sad day none the less.
    Finn

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't pick up my hose/reel from harbor freight as I figured what happened to you would happen to me in a few months.
    Metros-

I have had some poor luck with hose reels until I found a specific brand. I purchased a "Flexzilla" brand hose reel. It uses a polymer in the hose construction that keeps the hose very flexible, and is a very high quality. The hose does not kink, and it retracts very easily and cleanly into the reel. I have used it without even the slightest problem for some time now. The hose is a bright green color, and is available at Sears, Northern Tool, and a number of places online. I have the reel as well as a regular hose, and like them very much.

Good luck with your plans!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by da King View Post
    Step 2
    I had to get rid of something to make room for the build, I put 3 cars up for sale, all sunny weather cars, 1 had to go, later today the new owner of my 87 Porsche 930 will take my baby away, Keith (that's what I call her) is going to a good home, the new owner is a P-car fanatic and it was love at first sight. Feels like I've lost an old friend, I can start the search for a donor car and order the kit in a few days time and that's the up side but it's a sad day none the less.
    Finn
    Yeah. I sure it was not easy to see your 930 go. But for some of us a sacrifice has to be made, right? I had to disassemble my Wieder workout station and store all of my free weights (they consumed about 25% of my garage floor space). I have to workout at the Y now, but I'm building my dream.

Stay strong.......The build will make up for it.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Jegs has a nice one for $59.00 with a 3 year warranty,Ive went through over a thousand rivets works great

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Metros-

I have had some poor luck with hose reels until I found a specific brand. I purchased a "Flexzilla" brand hose reel. It uses a polymer in the hose construction that keeps the hose very flexible, and is a very high quality. The hose does not kink, and it retracts very easily and cleanly into the reel. I have used it without even the slightest problem for some time now. The hose is a bright green color, and is available at Sears, Northern Tool, and a number of places online. I have the reel as well as a regular hose, and like them very much.

Good luck with your plans!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. I was actually kind of disappointed with what I was finding for reel/hose combinations. A lot of poor reviews on products out there.

The new owner of my LS powered rx7 picks her up this weekend. Bittersweet as I really enjoyed the car but now I'll have the budget to really get moving forward with all of my plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a tool exactly, but I have shelving unit with bins like this that was a huge help when I put together my roadster. Couldn't find the exact one I have, but this is actually nicer because it has the various sizes of bins.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...7a234_1000.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What model is that? The pic doesn't have any info with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, wrong link. The shelves/bins were Sandusky Model UR4416BIN36 for $209 on the website. It is driving me nuts that I can't find the one I have. Mine has casters on the bottom, which is kind of nice for the rare occasion I need to move it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sandusky-...d#.UmmMBIbks5A

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!