Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cruise Control with Ford Racing Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise Control with Ford Racing Coyote

EDIT: See post below for update

Also posted at FFcars:

Before I contact FRPP about this, I would like to know if anyone here knows what is required to install cruise control with the M-6007-M50 5.0L Engine and the M-6017-A504V engine control pack.

The FRPP 504V installation instructions specifically state that the system as supplied does not support cruise control. Another poster said that additional wiring is required, but had no specifics. The Drive by Wire throttle set-up may complicate the issue a bit.

Any help out there?
    Last edited by DaleG; 04-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've wondered about the same thing, but I haven't really looked into it yet. Heck, I don't even have an engine or trans, yet. I've looked around on google and there seems to be some universal kits that either tie into the VSS on the transmission or mechanically sense the speed/rotation of the driveshaft. What I don't know is how that ties into the engine side and computer.

I have a long highway drive in to work and cruise control would help keep the tickets away
    Michael
    MK4 #7804
    Plans:
    3V SOHC 4.6 Powered, TR-3650, 3-Link (3.31) 17" Chrome FR500's, Dual Roll Bars, Speedhut Gauges
    Ordered: OCT-2012 Delivered: 16-MAY-2012 First Start: 21-JUN-2015 First Drive: 26-MAY-2016 Paint: TBD Licensed & Tagged: 23-NOV-2016

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still planning also; kit is due soon, as is the drivetrain.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: Spoke with FRPP tech today. He said if it was easy, they would have done it. Only thing he's heard is that the DBW is an issue, but that some sort of mechanical linkage to the throttle pedal might be a step in the rignt direction (my understanding of what he said).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    UPDATE: Spoke with FRPP tech today. He said if it was easy, they would have done it. Only thing he's heard is that the DBW is an issue, but that some sort of mechanical linkage to the throttle pedal might be a step in the rignt direction (my understanding of what he said).
    I think it will be possible with something like the Rostra 250-1223 universal kit, but we would definately have to come up with a mechanical system that would attach to the only moving part in the system....the pedal. Someone will definately have to be the guinea pig on this one...I would but I have no drivetrain, yet.
    Michael
    MK4 #7804
    Plans:
    3V SOHC 4.6 Powered, TR-3650, 3-Link (3.31) 17" Chrome FR500's, Dual Roll Bars, Speedhut Gauges
    Ordered: OCT-2012 Delivered: 16-MAY-2012 First Start: 21-JUN-2015 First Drive: 26-MAY-2016 Paint: TBD Licensed & Tagged: 23-NOV-2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ATOLightning View Post
    Someone will definately have to be the guinea pig on this one...I would but I have no drivetrain, yet.
    Nor do I. Parts have started to arrive, though; got my wheels from FFR today (their kit completion date is May 5th). Drive train and associated components to be finally ordered from Mike Forte tomorrow, after alot of discussions with him.

If someone will offer guidance, I'll take it on but will likely not be able to start on it until mid-June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    Nor do I. Parts have started to arrive, though; got my wheels from FFR today (their kit completion date is May 5th). Drive train and associated components to be finally ordered from Mike Forte tomorrow, after alot of discussions with him.

If someone will offer guidance, I'll take it on but will likely not be able to start on it until mid-June.
    Cool. I got my kit almost 1 year ago. I'm slowly piecing things together. We'll have it nearly complete minus the drivetrain before long. Then, it'll be time to save up for that. We've got a baby on the way, so my car budget has shrank to nearly zero for now Still plugging along, though!
    Michael
    MK4 #7804
    Plans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ATOLightning View Post
    We've got a baby on the way, so my car budget has shrank to nearly zero for now Still plugging along, though!
    Get as much done as you can now. I've got a 3 month old and my FF progress is almost zero.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Get as much done as you can now. I've got a 3 month old and my FF progress is almost zero.
    Congrats. I'll have through the summer to get some stuff wrapped up. I hope to have everything but paint, engine, and trans by the time the big day comes. I'm going to order wheels/tires in the coming week or so and then put the body back on to work on other stuff. I can at least put the steering wheel and seats in with the garage door up and pretend I'm driving...maybe I can put a fan up and make it feel like the car is moving...
    Michael
    MK4 #7804
    Plans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok,
    I know this thread is old, I was thinking about a solution to the issue. From what I've been able to find there is no option for cruise control on the Ford Coyote using the control pack. I think I have an idea for a work around, but it will require a bit of computer knowledge and testing.

Here is the concept.

wire a micro controller in line with the gas peddle. For this the output of the gas peddle should go straight to the ECU. A second wire is spliced in (with a diode to keep feed back from going to the micro controller)

The micro controller should have a power cable that goes through a switch on the dash. If things go badly you could flip the switch and kill the micro controller.

The input for the micro controllers should be as follows
    - speed sensor
    - sensor on gas peddle location
    - sensor on break peddle location
    - on/off switch (on steering wheel would be best)
    - set switch (also on steering wheel)
    - +/- switch to adjust the setting (also on steering wheel)

Logic

gas or break would stop program
    on would start program
    set would check current speed and set to that
    +/- would adjust set value
    program would check speed sensor and adjust the output voltage up and down to keep in the target range.

Any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see someone accomplish it...preferably before I get the install stage of stuffing a Coyote in my 65. It sounds workable and wouldn't take a real powerful micro controller. Unfortunately for me, the last time I programmed a controller was almost 30 years ago in tech school on a a microprocessor that was old at that time.
    I am wondering if there are any existing drive-by-wire universal kits that can be hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by frowhite View Post
    Ok,
    I know this thread is old, I was thinking about a solution to the issue. From what I've been able to find there is no option for cruise control on the Ford Coyote using the control pack. I think I have an idea for a work around, but it will require a bit of computer knowledge and testing.

Here is the concept.

wire a micro controller in line with the gas peddle. For this the output of the gas peddle should go straight to the ECU. A second wire is spliced in (with a diode to keep feed back from going to the micro controller)

The micro controller should have a power cable that goes through a switch on the dash. If things go badly you could flip the switch and kill the micro controller.

The input for the micro controllers should be as follows
    - speed sensor
    - sensor on gas peddle location
    - sensor on break peddle location
    - on/off switch (on steering wheel would be best)
    - set switch (also on steering wheel)
    - +/- switch to adjust the setting (also on steering wheel)

Logic

gas or break would stop program
    on would start program
    set would check current speed and set to that
    +/- would adjust set value
    program would check speed sensor and adjust the output voltage up and down to keep in the target range.

Any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is installed, but I'm not on the road yet so cannot say how/if it works. See page 17, post#s 482-485 http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-build-17.html Hoping it works well.