FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Suicide door safety latches/ pins ?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suicide door safety latches/ pins ?

Has anyone installed safety latches on their doors? The ones I see online do not seem like they will fit on my 33 door. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help with this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm using the electric one from Carolina Customs. Maybe Eric Hansom will see this. I think if you look for 33machine, you might find something in a post on this forum or the other. They are a "must have" in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    doorlock.jpg
    I also have the Carolina Customs door pins, They are powered like door locks. I installed small leds in the doors that light up if the pins are not engaged. The actuators are mounted inside the door, below the latch. Easy install.
    Last edited by Jay Mann; 04-30-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    When Mike Everson built #007 he interlocked his electric door poppers thru a solonoid to the ignition. Then the key fob can't open the doors accidentally when the ignition is energized.

Make sure the door latches engage correctly and most of potential problems are muted.

I've locked myself out of the car when I've had the hardtop on (and windows up). I've meant to put a hidden switch somewhere on the car for future OOPS events.

Best regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom. Most door popper control units lock out operation when the key is on. I always hook up a remote button just in case. My problem lies in I need room for a lock pin. I have heard horror stories of bear claw latches coming open going down the road. Not a good thing with suicide doors. I was hoping someone had something smaller that what is offered right now. I may need to fabricate my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Carolina Customs pieces are locking pin devices. If you need extra room in the door for some reason, you can mount it to the body instead and have the pin go into the door instead of the pin going into the body part of the door jam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea Tim. I will explore this further.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old thread but I am reviving this one as I need to put door lock pins in my doors for my comfort and for the provincial requirements. I know Carolina Customs makes one that's not that expensive however i was wondering how good they are and what other options are out there now since this thread is close to 5 years old? If anyone has pictures and specs on what they used i would REALLY appreciate it. TY!