Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A few reminders to all owners & a good read for soon to be's

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent advice as I am contemplating purchasing a cobra in the next few weeks. I am reminded of the old aviator saying... there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there aren't any old bold pilots.

2. Likes 520fd, StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol..

Post Thanks / Like
    This such great advice. I like the idea of inscribing the dash with "take me for granted, and I will kill you." But I will add " and we shall perish together in each others arms!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Article, Glad you took the time to explain the facts!!! Thank You!
    Mk 4, 347 BluePrint Stroker, Blueprint 347 Stroker, Ford racing HD T-5 transmission, 3:27 8.8 reared, Ram clutch kit, Vintage Air front runner system, FITech Fuel injection Indigo Blue / Silver Stripes, 17" Wheels. AC, Heater, Conv Top Titles and Built 2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding article -it was an eye-opener for me! Am in process of acquiring a garage queen, and looking forward to getting it running. Track days and auto cross are on the agenda, all with an extremely large dose of respect!
    Thank you for the article. I concur with the idea that it should be included with every new member registration.

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have said, so very well written. My personal rules include: NEVER drive my beast after a cocktail (yes I know that should go for any car), always check rear tire pressure to make sure they’re near equal. Why? You can put the car sideways in a heartbeat if you deliver enough power to break the rear loose. Ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife read the article... and now "when that thing's done I AM GOING WITH YOU ON EVERY "CRUISE" RUN"... No Hooter gals or stoplight flip-tops for me. <G>

9. Likes chuckster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very true! Although I am going to build one these beasts, I already have a deep respect for what I am about to create. I have always thought to myself when I get this completed I will take it to the road course and have a professional teach me how to drive this monster without killing myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am building a roadster. I have never driven or ridden in one, but read the advise with full acceptance as "fact". I must have read some accounts of driving the AC roadsters in their greatest races and wonder if there is any way to relate to the talent and reflexes those men must have possessed. Adverse conditions, primitive tires and suspensions, massive amounts of torque and power, all thrown in at a max for lap after lap. They were masters of reflexes and driving.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

12. Likes M. Townsend, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a former Open wheel Modified NASCAR racer and also former Cobra builder/owner, these comments are spot on.

I remember after 12 years of racing, I brought my hand made Cobra to the Track for use as a "Trophy car" I can't count how many times other Racers commented on my custom made Cobra, first looking underneath at the NASCAR suspension with full floater 9 inch and Wide Five NASCAR Modified hubs on all four corners. 357 CI of Ford NASCAR V8 under the hood, I should have sold tickets....

I am shortly building a MkIV here in Thailand. I am purposely not installing a fire breathing 500HP mill in it. Most likely it will eventually get sold to a (Thailand Rich) local kid who does not have experience with driving a car like this and even though I will be adding traction control, these cars can and will kill you in a heart beat. I will try to make the car as safe as possible, but there's only so much I can do. I figure 331 cubes and 400HP is good enough power for Thailand, even so, I will have to advise any prospective owner to always wear the Brown pants, you know, just in case.

Scott

14. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post! One of the best reads on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said. I sold my Harley - the wife and I just didn't get into touring like we thought we would. Not sad about it. I have been a distant observer of Factory Five and Cobra replicas for a few years now and have known a retired gent who built one. I think this is the direction I am going to go as a bucket list item. Just joined the forum today and started with your posts...glad I did. Oh, not dissuaded from buying a Mk 4 roadster, oh no...but your wisdom puts the brutality of the car in perspective. Good advice and I will use it. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HopsFreak View Post

Well said. I sold my Harley - the wife and I just didn't get into touring like we thought we would

<snip>

Oh, not dissuaded from buying a Mk 4 roadster, oh no...but your wisdom puts the brutality of the car in perspective. Good advice and I will use it. Thank you.
    If you treat it like you're riding a Harley (with all the respect that choice deserves / demands) you'll be fine.

10' tall and bullet proof - will not end well...

18. Likes HopsFreak, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is great insight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Epic!

“F4U at an ultra-lite convention“ and “take me for granted and I will kill you”

EPIC!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good advice, I needed it. My mk4 is on order with 5.0 for power.

22. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new to this forum, should pick up my build in July if all goes well. I appreciate the honesty, experience and wisdom from everyone's replies. I totally understand how a car can get away from you when hitting the throttle and losing all traction. I think with all performance modified cars, if we don't respect it, it will kill us! Never driven in a Cobra, but I have greater respect for what it can do now.

Looking forward to going through the rest of posts for the Cobra builds specifically.

24. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You’ll be cautious enough in the beginning, it’s when you think you have it under control that it will sneak up and scare the boldness out of you. It’s the short wheelbase you have to get used to, mostly.

Welcome to the forum and FFR build community, you’re going to love it!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

26. Likes M. Townsend liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Disrespect me and I will kill you".

Add up the following:
    Roads are cold but dry
    Tires are cold
    450HP on tap
    Short wheelbase
    Occasional puddle/run-off/wet on the road

I'll save you the trouble... it equals "spirited straight acceleration turning into a 1/2-lock powerskid don't snap the throttle shut or overcorrect keep your goddam foot off the brakes holy **** that retaining wall is close damn I saved it and need to shake the turds out of my pants" in less time than you took to read that.
    (and I wasn't even on it "hard")

#9365 & I just rolled 2650 miles. I'm not afraid of him, but I'm still not confident in my abilities. These cars accelerate, turn, and stop better than ANYTHING that people have ever driven before. It will be on a track, or skid-pad, or driving school environment before I even attempt to find my limits - I know going in that I'll not come close to the limits of the car.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

28. Likes M. Townsend, StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Words to live by-and still enjoy the ride!
    7891RD arrived 10/02/2012, Go Kart 10/18/2013, Graduated 7/27/2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post

I'll save you the trouble... it equals "spirited straight acceleration turning into a 1/2-lock powerskid don't snap the throttle shut or overcorrect keep your goddam foot off the brakes holy **** that retaining wall is close damn I saved it and need to shake the turds out of my pants" in less time than you took to read that.
    (and I wasn't even on it "hard")
    I always say it can kill you faster than you can say "oops", or "aw sh*t".

Post Thanks / Like
    Great read. I'm looking forward to owning one. Are there any groups in the Houston area I could hook up with and learn some of the building process to decide if I want to take on the building of one or just purchase. Recently retired and always wanted one. I am in the Southwest Houston area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    yep all that and more. Two months ago I drove the cobra out of a garage not normally used. It was cold and not heated like the one it is usually in, as I was using that one for a stereo replacement in my wrangler. Left the garage at 38 degrees and headed for a light that changed yellow as I approached. Some throttle but not full to make it through the light and I was sideways into oncoming traffic! Just the cold tire difference was the chance I could die or loose it all. Be careful out there. Jim
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

33. Likes ldee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Completely skeerd now. Mostly just confirms my desire to build a 289/302 lower HP version

Post Thanks / Like
    That is why I am drawn to the FF Cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Freddie, great words, a must read for people like me, Newbies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Street Racing? DON'T DO IT!

Public roads are no place to be foolish. There may, or may not be people present that want nothing to do with the risk of high-speed motor racing. Respect them, respect yourself.

I spent 8 years as a Turn Marshal and witnessed many drivers who pegged their fun meters. Thankfully, in all the incidents I witnessed, most drivers walked away, a few made visits to the hospital, all survived. Everyone at a track has accepted the risks involved or has at the very least been warned. "The only safe place at a racetrack is outside of the entrance gate(s)."

Take your monster to a track and let it scare you and the rest of the risk-takers in the place it was truly built for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great reminders for us all. Will reread this many times in the years to come. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    How does driving the 33 compare to the cobra?
    IMO both are front-engined, short wheelbase, lightweight vehicles so similar.

To me the (horse)power to weight ratio and gearing you choose along with how well disciplined your right foot is will be the biggest factors in how drivable your creation is.

Post Thanks / Like
    TYVM for these excellent words to live by while behind the wheel of what will be the most exotic and powerful car I have owned. Looking forward to the build!! Will never get started or completed soon enough!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WCPaynter View Post
    TYVM for these excellent words to live by while behind the wheel of what will be the most exotic and powerful car I have owned. Looking forward to the build!! Will never get started or completed soon enough!!
    WC,

I see this is your first post.
    What a great way to start the journey of building your dream.
    It took me about 2-3 months to work my way up to my current 6,000 RPM rev limit.
    Knowledge is power and you are off to a great start.

Welcome Aboard!

Steve
    Dark Side Factory Five MK-4 #8,515
    https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-mk4-roadster/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-16-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was awesome made me laugh and cry. very well expressed and written nice job!

Mike .

Post Thanks / Like
    Best advice on staying alive I've ever read. Like drinking, have fun but in moderation. Respect the machine and keep your head screwed on straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely need to be a little bit mechanically inclined to build one and to drive one especially after a few maiden voyages trying to get all the gremlins out of the cobra but once you've figured it all out there is nothing better than driving this race car.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    it's been now 25 years since I pulled ol'Blue out on the road and headed out the interstates.

On the Open Roads...
    Over the hill from Calif. coming down into Flagstaff I found out what soft rain tires felt like driving on ice pellets! Next to be sure I understood the first warning, I was reminded early one morning as I pull out into the intersection to turn left... only to find I was now spinning sidewise in the middle of the intersection. I had forgotten it was cold that night in Little Rock! Again I was "politely" reminding what soft sticky rain tires are going to wake you up real fast on cold concrete! They are like bricks! I just smiled at the audience who were waiting at the light as I did a K turn to get pointed down the road.
    Pay what you have to to get not just good tires but great tires!

Yes every minute you need to be focused on driving. Hence no radio in my car just the sound of the wind (oh and out on the interstate I'm usually singing "Amarillo by Morning...") No one can hear me anyway over the exhaust sound!

Adventures along the way... be prepared for a different attitude from the people you meet! There are REALLY nice people out there.

And you're going to get wet!
    I was driving through the pouring rain, on the interstate, in bumper to bumper traffic coming by Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, and a lady in an motorhome had a window open asking if I wanted a towel! I thanked her and told her I have one in the trunk I'll pull out later once I'm out of the rain!

Frequently on the interstate I would catch up with large groups of motorcycles. They typically are lined up in two very long lines of bikes usually in the right lane. One time the rear bikers saw me coming behind them. I think he flipped his lights to get the attention of the bikes in front of him till like a wave the long line of bikes opened up wider and I was motioned on through up the middle of them! With a mixture of being scared, nervous - don't want to mess this up! Hold the steering wheel straight, I was honestly shaking as I drove up through them and thinking DON'T HIT THEM! I made it through to the waves and thumbs up, etc. As I wiped the sweat off my hands!

I have managed to attend track events on the east and west coasts. Met a lot of people along the way and a lot of kids with their families at rest stops and gas stations. A normal car gas and go is about 5 minutes. Mine are closer to an hour! The best part is you're at the pump filling it with gas, and people that normally would never peek around the pumps are looking at the car - and the discussions begin. Usually people in the line of vehicles behind you are impatient to get their car filled up and back on the road again. Instead they are out of their cars, have come up to look, and ask about the car. I now carry little 1/32scale ac cobra metal cars in the trunk to give to the kids.

I even managed to get out on THE track at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for some hot laps with ol'Blue!

Stuff happens!
    About three years ago, one night, I took out a deer on the driver side of ol'Blue. I got lucky as I managed to get far enough into the shoulder, gravel to hit him with the left headlight leaving him to bounce along the side of ol'Blue. No frame damage just the cracked left fender and the headlight shattered.

A new body was prepped, and painted. Painted bandywine with oyster white stripes, by high school students in their shop class. "Brandy" is back on the interstates.

Enjoy the ride, knowing that you have one of the faster "guns", just smile when they pull up to street race you as you wave them off. It's so tempting to smoke them off...

For me no more track events - seems my reflexes are not nearly as good as they used to be. But Brandy and I still go out on trips singing "Amarillo by Morning...!"

The car at Indy.jpg Crossing the bricks.jpgsmaller encounter with a dear at 70 mph.jpg side_small.jpg
    Tech at Indy Crossing the Bricks The Deer encounter little Miss Brandy
    Last edited by R. Button; 04-23-2023 at 08:55 AM.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

47. Thanks Geoff H thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bumping This Thread Since Many Are Just Starting To Enjoy The Driving Season!

Steve

Dark Side Factory Five MK-4 #8,515

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-mk4-roadster/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-20-2023 at 01:50 PM.

49. Thanks Ducky2009 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The "take me for granted and I'll kill you" quote will likely be on a plaque on my dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with everything said regarding driving our cars. However the same mindset needs to be applied to the quality of the build and yearly maintenance. When building our cars, we need to think the same way. There can be no shortcuts as a mechanical issue can get you in trouble just as fast as your right foot. Yearly maintenance including checking and torqueing all the fasteners is a must. For those of us who built our own cars we know them well. For those you have purchased their cars, take nothing for granted and get to know your car mechanically. Trusting a prior owners building and maintenance skills could get you into trouble. These cars are not daily drivers, they require respect when driving and when preparing them for each driving season.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html

52. Likes tnt_motorsports liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12