FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Bushing Sleeves

Post Thanks / Like

IRS Bushing Sleeves

Hey All,

I've got a space between my IRS rear diff and the frame that is being caused by the bushing sleeve being too long. The sleeve is significantly longer than the rubber bushing. Coincidentally I'm finding my lower A-arms are not wide enough to fit easily in their spots. I'm wondering if the sleeves are too long which is causing the frame to push out and make them not fit.

Anyone ever have to trim their bushing sleeves to length or is that by design? Picture below for reference.

Thanks!

thumbnail_20210430_173348.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done a couple and they didn't look like that. They were tight. I assume the back pair are tightened to spec? If so, if you ground down the bushings then there would be a gap. If all four tighten to spec, I'd bet it's OK. But maybe other's have seen this and have different advice. I'd also ask tech support at Factory Five.

Guaranteed you're not moving the frame with those spacers or the diff. Or most anything for that matter. Way too stiff. Not unusual to have to adjust the tabs on the frame to get the control arms into place. If you haven't seen this tip, easiest way to expand is with some washers, nuts, and threaded rod.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...6&d=1494119522
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks RedRaider58 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had to use the method described in Paul's (Edwardb) response above on all of the tabs for the rear suspension. It works well. My toe arms had to be opened so much that I thought there had to be a problem. After contacting FFR and listening to advice on the forum I opened them up using the same method until they fit. My bushing sleeves were not that long. I'd definitely contact FFR regarding that.

5. Thanks RedRaider58 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I took yall's advice and contacted FFR regarding the bushing sleeves and they told me the gap is normal. I also mentioned that it was quite a bear to get the bolts in and that I'm likely over spec to get the rears that thread into the casing flush, but they weren't concerned. Basically as long as all four are in and tight I should be good to go.
    Mk4 #10033 - IN PROGRESS, follow along here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...3-Build-Thread

Instagram: sixty_five_cobra

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing up an older thread. The bushing sleeves cause the same situation as above. I am curious if the other bolts (that thread into the the diff) are as short as mine are. I confirmed this are the bolts called out in the manual by length. so I assume everyone's build looks similar. seems odd that they wouldn't want to use the full length of the threaded cavity.

Diff bolts rear.jpg

diff sleeve.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    If memory serves you do have maybe 3/4 inch of thread engagement as is. Going into aluminum I like as much as I can get vs the common recommendation in steel that one bolt diameter of threads is good to go. But if you have as much as I think you do, I'd call it fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah. gap is normal. I contacted FF support as well a few months back and received the same response. for the a-arms. you can spread them apart using all thread, some washers and nuts to spread the tabs out. I had to do that as well and the all thread method worked well.
    Mk4 #10605 Ordered 5/28/2022. Received 3/18/2023
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roaster-Build