Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body to Rear Tire Alignment Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Body to Rear Tire Alignment Question

UPDATED - 5/27/16 Here's another TTT on an old how-to that will be helpful to anyone with a three-link rear end.

Original post follows.....

I was going to put this into my bodywork thread, but thought that I may get more feedback having it as a separate topic, as well as the fact that it'll be searchable as a stand-alone question.

I've been working on final body fitment before moving to the real work of gapping moveable panels and the rest of the actual bodywork (i.e., filler, feather fill, block sanding, etc...). I've had very good results so far and I'm quite happy with just about everything, which is a surprise given the compromises fitting these bodies can present.

But... I'm not completely thrilled with how the rear quarters are situated over the rear tires. Viewed from the ahead of the car, the leading edge of the rear quarters seem very uniform and an equal amount of the rear tires are visible. However, viewed from behind, the passenger side tire is slightly more visible. When looking down from directly overhead, the trailing edge of the driver's quarter seems to be shaped a bit differently from the passenger side - so this is most likely causing the issue.

I've tried quite a few things to move the body over, but although those things help make the rear view appear a bit more symmetrical, each results in unfavorable changes elsewhere on the body. The rear end is well centered in the chassis, so I'm not concerned there - this is really just an appearance issue. Short of overcoming this issue by creating a couple more, the only solution I can think of to correct this is to put a 1/8" spacer behind the driver's side wheel. Not a good alternative from a mechanical standpoint, though, so I'm inclined to leave it where it is.

What say you?

Last edited by Gumball; 05-27-2016 at 05:23 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074