So I recently read somewhere on the forum that someone was planning fender flares to run wider tires. (I don't remember who, but I don't think they have their kit yet) I'm on the verge of ordering wheels and tires and now I can't get the image of carbon fiber fender flares out of my head. So I thought we (ie; anyone interested) could talk over the viability, and our options.

1. Do we NEED wider tires?

I'm not sure there's enough members cars finished to know the answer to this. Perhaps FFR or wayne could chime in on the initial test sessions and how easy it was to get heat in the tires. Any Top Gear fans will remember Richard Hammond driving the renault F1 car, not enough heat in the tires is sketchy on track. If its a problem, then more downforce, and probably more power to achieve said downforce, etc, etc. (thats a discussion for later) Obviously for street cars, or the drag strip, it would help with traction and probably look bad ***.

2. Are flares going to help run wider tires in the front?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't wider tires contact the frame/aluminum at the rear of the front fender well? Wider tires, or less offset might just make matters worse.

3. Are there any flares that will work without modification to the flare?

Obviously the quarters/fenders will have to be trimmed, but if we can find flares that fit the body lines as is, then finished quality carbon fiber is an option. Otherwise we can look at fiberglass flares, and hack away.

Here's a side shot for reference...

And here's the largest flare from jdmflares.com (no affiliation)

IMO the 818's rear quarters are so flared as is, that large flares would be our best option to avoid the "flare on flare" look. I'm not sure universal flares are an option up front, but that may be moot if the above mentioned fitment issues are true.

carbon creation also makes a set (no affiliation)