I have just returned from the Maryland State Police, MVA, and safety inspection station with a completed title application and inspection certificate. The process is a bit time consuming and inconvenient, but the state and safety inspectors are very nice and helpful.

For Maryland, it is a multi step process:

1. VIN assignment. The State Police in Glen Burnie inspect kit cars to ensure that they are not made from stolen parts, and if everything checks out, they attach the FFR and Maryland state identification tags. For paperwork, you will need the FFR certificate of origin and bill of sale, and evidence of donor part purchases. For me the latter was the donor title and bill of sale. The bills of sale are used for (i) proof of ownership and (ii) the cost of the car for tax purposes.

The VIN inspector, John, was extremely nice. He had problems locating the engine and transmission numbers since my 818 was his first. I suggest that you clean off these numbers and perhaps mark where they are (a tape label?) for his convenience. I did not see the inspector check lights, brakes, etc. I was told, however, that the car needed to be in driving condition, and indeed needed to pull it into the garage.

With VIN paperwork, I then needed to walk across the parking lot to the MVA and pay sales tax. I returned with the receipt to the state police garage and the inspector affixed the VIN plates. Note that the FFR tag is wider than 1 inch frame members, so you may want to think about location. We put my plates in the engine compartment. By the way, Michael Everson's hinges were a great help since the cover needed to go up and down several times.

2. State safety inspection. In Maryland, the private sector performs safety inspections, and inspection certificates are needed before new license plates are issued. I believe new cars are exempt, but I didn't question that point. I found Auto Italia in Rockville on the DC are Cobra website, and indeed they are experts at inspecting kit cars. I towed the car there, but I understand that one can get temporary tags so you can drive your car to the safety inspection.

3. Emissions. The state police inspector who assigned the VIN told me that kit cars are exempt from emissions inspection. One needs to go to the emissions station and see the manager, who will issue the exemption. I mentioned that I had a working emissions system, and he suggested that I try to pass the test and then ask for a waiver if needed.

4. I will try to go to the MVA for license plates tomorrow and I will add to this post if there are any problems.

Why did I say the process is inconvenient? Mainly because the state police inspector is only available on Tuesday mornings in Glen Burnie and they are busy checking salvage cars and home made trailers. Also, the parking lot is cramped. I arrived before 8am to grab two spots (truck and trailer) with an easy exit path.

John