I've successfully convinced my lovely bride that I "need" to build a Cobra Replica. Unfortunately, I am currently working overseas and the earliest I can justify ordering a kit is about a year from now. I have excellent mechanical skills, a great workshop (in the US) and experience building cars and know the foibles of the Windsor-block SBF, having owned, built, repaired and maintained several over my life.

After reading many threads here and on the other forum, I've decided that before I can even order a kit, I need to settle several central philosophical and existential questions.

Having said that, a few things are settled, as I know myself quite well by now. I want a car that will challenge me, and will be capable of high performance and will look and sound like it. I also want a car where function trumps form. I doubt I will spend over $100 on paint (I own my own painting rig and can access leftovers from a local shop) and I will insulate the interior to cut down on the heat and to kill the tinny sound of the aluminum, but run the minimum interior I can get away with. It will not be built as a daily driver, but I WILL drive it daily, because I'm ornery that way. I will also most probably get 15 inch wheels and run Hoosiers or Goodyear billboards, just because I think they are an important visual aspect of the car

Having said all that, I have several questions for your comment and my own introspection:

How much power is "enough?"

I get the distinct impression that anything more than 400 bhp goes wasted in these cars. In fact, they may be quite high performing with 300 or so. Does anyone have experience with both the 400+ horsepower versions as well as the 260 to 350 horsepower versions, and would care to comment on it?

Modular versus Windsor

A bunch of Coyote and 4.6 modulars have come on the salvage Markets; Coyotes for about $8k and 4.6s with under 100k miles for $2k or so. I'll admit it; I'm a carbed Windsor guy from the 70s, but 260-305 hp from a $2k 4.6 sounds tempting. As does 420 hp from a 5.0 Coyote. Still, I see all these threads about issues with this or that black box and I get really skittery. I'm also wondering how one maintains them in that tiny space up front.

4 link, 3 link, IRS

When I decided to build a Cobra replica, I just assumed I'd build IRS, because a high powered vehicle with a live axle would just murder you in a turn under power on a rough surface. Now, I'm not so sure. I keep reading about the Challenge Series Cars and wondering just how bad a 3 link with a live axle would be in an aggressively driven, powerful car like a 300 hp Cobra replica.

Donor, Complete Kit, or a la Carte

I am leaning toward getting pieces a la Carte from salvage and other suppliers. Still, there are several donor cars in my area (in the US) that have less than 100k miles, and are cosmetically horrific. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one and parting it out, provided the price was right.

Things I haven't thought of, yet.

I would be delighted if all and sundry would come up with ideas that I haven't even thought of, yet. Because synergy, and stuff.

Thanks!