Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help please. Differential side oil seals

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Help please. Differential side oil seals

Oil was leaking from both sides of my transaxle differential - where the axle shafts enter at both sides. I bought two side oil seals from the dealer for the front diff. I removed the axle shafts, replaced the oil seals, inserted the axle shafts carefully. But, both sides still leak! I hope someone here can give me some clues or tricks that will help when I do it all again. The old oil seals were bigger diameter than the new ones, but the new seals fit snuggly on the axle shafts and otherwise looked the same as the old ones. The FSM shows Special Tool ST28399SA010, oil seal protector and ST18675AA000, oil seal installer. Do I really need either of these tools?

Edit: Problem solved! See Post #16 . . .
    Last edited by AZPete; 02-21-2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: problem solved
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).