I just couldn't live with mounting the blower and evaporator (or is that a condenser? It's been 45 years since my one air conditioning class) with those little sheet metal screws into plastic. So in the spirit of "If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing" (maybe that should be my new motto), I made a couple of little brackets out of 1/2" wide, .090" thick aluminum stock to better, more securely mount it all up.

The two longer pieces fit on the inside of the evaporator top and bottom over the existing holes. The top piece is slightly shorter than the bottom because of the tapered evap housing. A third piece is cut to fit just inside of the gap at the bottom of the air passage. Much nicer than filling it all up with a ton of silicone. I drilled and tapped eight holes 6-32 for the screws to mount, which act as studs through the housing, through the firewall, and into the blower housing. Finished off with 6-32 nyloc nuts and washers. The short piece at the bottom I also attached to the inner bottom bracket by 6-32 counter sunk screws. I tapped them into the bracket, but a nyloc nut on the inside would work just as well. I J-B Weld'ed the eight screws into their brackets so they wouldn't back out while tightening the nyloc's.

I haven't permanently mounted the housings yet because I want to do a bit more wiring cleanup behind the dash. When I do, I'm planning on using a small amount of silicone around the air passage hole, on each side of the firewall to seal it up.

Also, the nuts on the top are a piece of cake to screw on. The bottom four are another matter. Two of them are pretty accessible, but two are pretty well hidden in the blower housing. I may well have to design a tool to start those nuts on the studs, or find a 10 year old kid with small hands to put them on. It looks doable, but only after lots of cursing and swearing I'm sure.

IMG_0540 small.JPGIMG_0537 small.JPGIMG_0543 small.JPGIMG_0541 small.JPGIMG_0542 small.JPG