I have been asking a lot of questions before I take the plunge, so bear with me with another one:

I would hate to build and find I cannot register in NJ. Does anyone have recent experience, especially in the emissions area (it might affect the motor I buy)? I found this on the NJ DMV site....but then I've seen comments that the collector car status was abolished in NJ. I've tried calling DMV, but hold times are very long.....

Custom-built vehicles have a unique titling and registration process. If they didn't come from a major automaker, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) will want to make sure the car is both safely built and made out of parts that were not stolen.

There are several types of vehicles that fall under this category. Reconstructed vehicles such as dune buggies and kit cars are included, as might be salvaged vehicles. If you built or modified a vehicle to such an extent that it needs to be reregistered, you'll be asked to provide bills of sale for every major component that you used―so keep diligent records.

Once these vehicles are titled (or before they are titled), they might need to undergo a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection. If the vehicle doesn't have a VIN, the MVC can issue you one.

Custom-built vehicles might also be subject to a safety and emissions inspection as part of the registration process.

To find out how to title and register your custom-built vehicle, the MVC asks that you contact the MVC Central Office at this address and phone number:

* Motor Vehicle Commission

* 120 S. Stockton and Front Street

* Trenton, NJ 08611

* Phone: (888) 486-3339

Historic and Collector Vehicles

Vehicles 25 years old or older ("historic" vehicles) or collector vehicles that are essentially used only for exhibition or parades are exempt from general inspections. However, a State Inspection Station will need to verify the odometer reading for a $25 fee (this fee goes down to $10 for a renewal).

--- and then it lists elsewhere that collector vehicles exempt from emissions.

Does this match what people have seen lately?

thanks,

Mark