Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Miata Parking Brake

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Miata Parking Brake

*Posted Edited* Altered bracket design from first layout. Thanks to a fellow forum member with mechanical engineering knowledge, a few issues were identified and corrected.

Just finished installing my parking brake a few hours ago. It turned out really well.. so I just had to share.
    In short.. I found a pretty easy way to install a used Mazda Miata parking brake into the top of the trans tunnel. Avoiding that long-reach of the mustang brake handle.
    I have the basic measurements of the brackets I built, which I'll post up in here a little latter.. but for now.. some picks of it installed.
    All in all.. total spent $25. I already had the angle steel and Grade8 bolts on hand. But.. those are not expensive anyway. Call it $35 if you had to buy it all.

The $20 eBay 1995 Mazda Miata parking brake handle and $5 for the pull cable

The 2 pieces of flat steel that make up the primary mounting brackets. The rear plate has a pair of washers for added spacers, to push the whole handle under the side of the tunnel just a little more.

The balance bar is made from a piece of angle iron. Cut to shape, and then folded closed on the main pull Ferrell.

All photos
    https://www.ludicrous-speed.com/zp/Shanes%20Cobra/MiataParkingBrake/
    Last edited by skidd; 10-31-2020 at 09:51 AM.

2. Likes RBachman liked this post