Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: UPDATE: Is My Engine Pinging?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE: Is My Engine Pinging?

UPDATE: I used a piston stop as recommended, and my TDC is dead on. I also unplugged and capped the vacuum advance to make sure it wasn't advancing the timing too much. No change in sound, which makes me think that I really just need to change my driving style and not lug the motor. Just because it's a v8 doesn't mean that it makes a ton of torque everywhere. I guess I was just used to my 06 gto I had, where it wanted you to skip to 4th gear at 25 mph and be at 1000rpm. I'll keep the revs above 1900 when cruising now.

Also, I'll be meeting up with a local forum member here who has a lot more experience than I do. We will drive the car and listen for any funny sounds to make sure everything is up to snuff. I like this engine I build and want it to work for a very long time!

Thanks again everyone!

Hi Guys,

Got the new motor in the car and all seems to be well so far. The whole pushrod carburetor v8 thing is new to me. Between the volume of the side pipes, roller rockers, and other valve train noise, I have no idea if my engine is pinging. Can someone help me determine if it is? Here are some details of the engine.

I rebuilt a 302 short block, trick flow track heat 170 heads, brawler 600cfm double pumper, ford b-cam, comp roller rockers. My intial timing is at 12 BTDC and my total is 32 BTDC. My air/fuel ratios are right where they need to be. Nothing leaning out, correct powervalve is in, overall running smooth. Rear end is a 3.31. Oh! and the springs in my dizzy are the heavy ones, so I'm all in at 3000-3500 rpm.

When I am in 4th or 5th gear at 1500-2000 rpm or so, and give it gas, I hear the chugging along noises that I would expect from a v8. In fact, it made the exact same noises with the last motor (same cam but gt40 p heads). From reading online, I have heard wildly differing descriptions of what pinging actually sounds like.

When I downshift, to say 3rd gear, I don't hear the same noises, but I can't tell if that is because the engine is spinning twice as fast. Am I lugging the motor by being under 2000 rpm?

I know this is vague, but I just really want to make sure I am not damaging this engine. The new engine fixed the horrible issues I was having previously and it feels good to be able to move onto bodywork and paint.

Thanks gang!
    Last edited by scottiec; 08-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.