Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  111

Thread: CV2065 MKIV Build Thread - Graduated!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next up was the dash and firewall. I installed some Thermotec on the firewall and temporarily put my under dash filler panel in place from replicaparts.com.

The underdash panel is very nice gauge aluminum and affixes to the 2" beam. I cut a 4"x6" square in the middle for easy access of wiring later on down the road and will be putting some trim around it for detail. I also had to widen the section around the pillow block/steering boss as I don't think the design has been changed as of yet for the new FFR design. Took 5 minutes, so not a big deal. I also cut a hole for a USB charging port, inertia switch as well as the dimmer switch for the lights.

On to my dashboard. I have everything wired up at this point, using the Perma Seal butt connectors. Only issue I ran into while wiring was one of the water temp gauge connectors was wired backwards on the RF harness. Called Ron Francis and they sent out new connectors, pins and a removal tool. Excellent customer service!!

Still cleaning up the wiring a little but will say that the dash is a pretty impressive piece. At first glance, you think its just molded plastic to look like material, but its actually a leather like material molded to the plastic top. I think it will hold up very well to the elements as you don't have to worry about glues or lifting...at least I don't think...

Per the picture, the glovebox was also completed. Couple of things here. Badasp recommended the JB Weld Plastic Bonder #50139 for the metal hinges to the plastic. Carl was right and this stuff bonded perfectly. I'd guess the door would tear up before this comes unbonded, but time will tell. I'll get some kind of black covering to blend it in with the door.

After I put the glovebox together, the only screws holding the box itself at the top were the locking plate screws so I could have either used a glue of some kind of affix the box a little better to the dash or some additional screws. I chose the screws so now it's rock solid.

I am also planning on a wifi radio, so cut a 3" hole at the back of the glovebox that fits the Rockville circular radio perfectly with less than 3" of mounting depth. By the way, a variety of hole saw sizes in one kit can be had at Harbor Freight for less than $10 and worked great.

Last edited by cv2065; 12-10-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2