Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Fuel Cell Size for NASA Team Racing Endurance Challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Cell Size for NASA Team Racing Endurance Challenge

Hey guys, back after a too-long hiatus of breaking and rebuilding the Lemons car. Which is broken again (dropped a valve at Barber last weekend), but it's in time out for a few months so I can get back to the 818 and try to get it ready to race.

NASA Texas is doing a Team Racing Endurance Challenge race in September, and I'm aiming to have the 818 in that. One of the limitations is that the fuel cell "vehicles must start with no more fuel than the OEM tanks holds or a maximum of eighteen (18) gallons, whichever is less."

The FFR tank that comes with our cars is ~14.5 gallons, which I would assume qualifies as an "OEM tank" for these rule purposes (despite the fact that the 818 will be considered a "non-production vehicle" under ST rules). We'll be running a fuel cell. I've got an out-of-date 22 gallon cell from a prior project in the car as a mockup, but that's going to have to get changed for racing.

So, with all of that as context/background, here's my question: does anybody have experience with NASA tech on the fuel cell size issue for E0/ST3 cars, and if so, do you foresee a compliance problem if we install a 15-gallon fuel cell with a 0.5 gallon volume displacement ball?

Thx in advance.
    Last edited by Mulry; 02-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.