Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Accelerator Pedal Stuck Open on the Expressway!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Accelerator Pedal Stuck Open on the Expressway!

I was fortunate that nothing happened to other people, me, or the car. I will say that I'm glad to have a relatively low horsepower/torque car. I have a stock 302 with a Russ Thompson pedal hooked by Mechanical Linkage to a Fitech (400hp version). There are two return springs on the Fitech, and the unit is fed by a stock mustang fuel pump. My gear ratio is 3.08.

Yesterday morning, I was on a 2 lane interstate. I'm in the left lane traveling 70mph-ish with a Prius in front of me and had a truck to my right. I'm giving the Prius plenty of room, and I'm in 4th gear. After passing the truck, the Prius moves over, and I have an open lane. Drop it to 3rd, the motor comes to life, Hammer Down, and I'm off like a bullet!

**Pause** What I just did will get me and you in trouble with our cars. Be Safe. **Un-Pause**

Shifting to 4th, I got stuck in neutral and my engine is jumping to extreme High Revving and popping/sputtering LOUDLY!! I never got it into 4th (in hindsight, thank goodness). I didn't look at the Tach. But instead, listening to the engine thinking that it's going to do harm to itself. I cut the key off, and am coasting. I start the engine back and it goes straight to its high rev with sputtering in full tow. Cut it off again and move to the right side shoulder rolling in neutral. Hazards on, and coasting as far as I can towards the next exit. Never touched the brakes.

While coasting, I try to start it again, and Nothing. It's not getting any gas. Momentarily, I think that I’ve lost my fuel pump, but that doesn’t make sense. I turn the key off and back on again to start. Still no start.

Now I'm still coasting on the shoulder, thinking to myself that this car sure does coast a long way. As I'm starting to slow, I question the sputtering and realize that what I heard was the sound like the pump starving while trying to provide the fuel to the engine. I've heard it before under heavy acceleration. I wonder if that’s the Rev limiter on the fiTech. I cannot remember if it even has one.

While still rolling, I’m thinking it out. The engine is stuck at high rpm, and the fuel system is starved....I wonder if my pedal is stuck to the floor??!

Now slowing down to what feels like 20-30 mph now, I put my foot where the accelerator pedal should be; and the pedal is not felt until I put my foot near the back wall. It's stuck!! Putting my toe behind the pedal, it pops back into its proper resting position.

Turn the key, engine starts up! Drop it into 2nd gear and smoothly accelerate into traffic. Hazards off, and I'm back up to the flow of traffic.

What the Heck!!??

Last Night, I get it home and I open up the DS footbox top access panel to see where my Mechanical Linkage is getting hung up. I suspect that after 16,000 miles maybe a wiring harness leg, or something may have shifted into a possible binding location that is interfering with the linkage arms. While the car is sitting in the garage, I press the accelerator pedal to the floor and again, it sticks in place. Searching out the bind, I cannot find one. It’s not interfering with anything. Nothing in the DS footbox, and nothing near the FiTech.

I press the throttle linkage back to where it should be at rest, and it roughly snaps into place. Taking off the air cleaner, I inspect the linkage closer. What I find is at full throttle, the linkage rubs against the throttle body and holds in place. Satisfied with my find, I bend the linkage slightly so that it moves away from the throttle body. I can now fit a flat head blade between the two and see the gap. So I test again, AND AGAIN THE LINKAGE STICKS TO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! What the Heck????!!!!

There is nothing binding, and its sitting at full throttle with two weak return springs not pulling it back in place. Do I need to Lubricate the linkage? The throttle body linkage does have a couple of torsion springs in there. Maybe they do need a little lubrication. I end up getting some WD40 to test the theory, and spray the two torsion springs. The linkage still locks in place at full throttle, but it does feel a touch better. I decide to lubricate the rest of the throttle linkage generously, and start working the lever back and forth. It’s getting MUCH better! Now it doesn’t hold open any more. I continue to move the linkage back and forth for a couple more minutes, and the throttle body linkage is back to normal.

So, Is lubrication to the throttle linkage a common general maintenance or PM? Note to self that I need to get stronger return springs too.

I wanted to share this with you so that you’ll be aware of your linkage and what may happen to you too.

Happy driving everyone!

https://youtu.be/Y7seyIwUg_I

Last edited by DadofThree; 06-27-2019 at 07:53 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos