Quick background: I have been thinking about building a roadster for many years, even to the point when, about 20 years ago, I started accumulating parts / rebuilt a 302 and was about to pull the trigger on a kit order when kid #3 came along and the project got shelved. I ultimately sold off the parts and delayed the dream indefinitely as my time and money was consumed with the kiddos. But NOW, the last one leaves for college in the fall, and my oldest promised to get his ultralight project out of my third garage stall by the end of the summer. In other words, now is the time!

I've been scouring the forum and starting to plan out my build. I plan to go with the complete kit with a coyote engine.

While starting to rough out the details, I have several questions that I have not found clear answers by searching the forums, or that I would appreciate the feedback of the community:

1) Kit pickup vs. delivery: I understand that FFR now charges MA sales tax if you pickup the kit yourself. I see on the Michigan vehicle registration page that one must pay sales tax when you title the vehicle unless "it was paid at time of purchase". Anyone from MI (Paul...) have experience with this? Will I get a credit for tax paid to MA and therefore not be taxed again in MI?

2) MI Registration: I reviewed the requirements to register assembled vehicles in Michigan and see no mention of catalytic converters. Are cats required in MI for a roadster? No mention on the TR-54 checklist form from the state that I could see.

3) Complete Kit Ordering: There are a few things that I may upgrade from the complete kit, for example GAS-N sidepipes and headers. Does FFR allow exclusions from the complete kit order and provide credits for those exclusions (Yes I will be asking them, just curious what experience people may have had).

4) Coyote: Any significant installation differences / challenges with the gen 2 vs. gen 3 Coyote? I realize you get more power with the gen 3 for a bit more cost, but that isnt worth it to me as the gen 2 seems to provide more than enough power for a street cruiser. Just curious if one is notably easier than the other to install or maintain.

5) Seats: I love the look of the leather roadster seats and have seen conflicting info on this. I am 6'2" and have seen some mention that the vintage low backs would be better for leg room. At what height does the low-back vintage seats really matter?

6) Power Steering: I was going to go old-school and stick with manual steering, thinking I'm strong and remember the days of manual steering at parking lot speeds not being a big deal, but then I saw a few posts that indicated PS makes a big difference in smoothness at cruising speeds and it is stupid not to get it. Thoughts?

7) Sale: I see the current summer sale is still going with $3k in options - is this a good deal or are there better sales typically throughout the year?

Well - that's it for now. Sorry that my first post is a brain-dump of questions, but I am very excited to get going and trying to refine my overall plan so I can get the kit ordered.

- Jason