Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: insurance (pretty much) not available for non-replica kit cars in Ontario

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

insurance (pretty much) not available for non-replica kit cars in Ontario

I'm nearing the completion (hopefully) of my 818C. I've been calling around for insurance and basically nobody wants to insure kit cars any more.

Hagerty will not insure "Replicas of the 1963-67 Shelby Cobra".

Hagerty will not insure kit cars unless they are a replica of a classic car that is no longer in production such as some cars from the 1950's or older.

Every other insurance broker I called either use Hagerty, or use their rules, so they will not consider kit cars. I've tried Zehr Insurance which I've used in the past for my Cobra's, but they won't do kit cars now. Many places will keep insuring someone who has a car with them, but won't take on any new ones.

I've emailed Hagerty twice to ask them what difference it makes if a kit car is a replica or not. They don't seem to want to respond.

The only option might be a Facility Association. I haven't contacted them yet, but some insurance companies said to try them. I was told they might insure kit cars but the premium might be very high. I'm going to get my car registered first (should be this Friday) to get a VIN, then I'll try them.

Almost at the stage that it isn't worth building a kit car, or any home built car, in Ontario.

Rick
    Last edited by FFRWRX; 06-06-2023 at 06:25 PM.