FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: After the fact fuel tank modification.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

After the fact fuel tank modification.

Maybe someone might find this useful.
    When I built my 33Hot Rod in roughly 2014 I did not want to use the stock FFR fuel pickup location so I welded a bung on the bottom of the tank near the back edge for a gravity fed EFI fuel pump and welded on a plate to close up the top pick up location. I regrettably did not add any baffling in the tank at that time. As you might have guessed there was quite a bit of sloshing around when the tank was less than half full. I lived with that for 13,000 miles and decided this would be the winter I would take care of that issue even if it meant taking the body off so I could get the gas tank out. I figured out a way to do it without removing the fuel tank. I think the following photos are pretty much self-explanatory. I really don’t want this to become a “should have bought a Boyd tank” thread. As I said at the beginning someone might find this useful. Needless to say welding on a gas tank that has had fuel in it should not be taken lightly. After draining the tank I pumped warm,dry air through the tank for 36 hours to be sure to get all the liquid and fumes out.
    KIMG1056.jpgKIMG1057.jpgKIMG1058.jpgKIMG1059.jpgKIMG1061.jpg
    Last edited by stacked33; 11-27-2023 at 08:26 AM.

2. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More, Jeff33Ford, JimLev liked this post