Likes Likes:  9

Thread: "C3on66" Charity Drive, "Aardvark" FFR build 1st trip

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    split time between South Florida and Western North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"C3on66" Charity Drive, "Aardvark" FFR build 1st trip

Hi Everyone, I've been gone from the Forums for quite awhile, as family, retirement and life outside the FFR universe kind of took over. However, in recent times I've built another FFR Mk4 Roadster, with a wonderful back story, which we've named "Aardvark". Nicole Smith wrote a cool article about it on the FFR website back in September 2023 at https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/aardvark/ I'm excited to see the finished result, currently in the hands of Jeff Kleiner for bodywork and paint.

AardvarkDash.jpegCobra-Blueridge.jpeg

My two cousins and I have planned a trip down the length of famous Route 66, from Chicago to Santa Monica, CA, approx. 2400 miles, beginning May 4, 2024. Each of us will drive our own sportscar. We decided it should be a drive to benefit folks other than ourselves, so we're trying to raise money for three charities: Colorectal Cancer Alliance, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and Team Boomer/Boomer Esiason Foundation . The exact details of the trip are in the final planning stage now, but it's for certain that: 1. We're GOING; 2. Aardvark will be my car for the trip (Aardvark's 1st major voyage); 3. We're asking for some help from the FFR Community.

C3on66hero.jpeg

We built a website to give more detail of our project, the charities, and our sponsors. Factory Five Racing and Route 66 Sodas so far have volunteered as sponsors. Now I'm posting blog updates from time to time on our preparations for the trip, some of the people whose lives demonstrate why we're trying to help, and any other interesting stuff we come across. When the trip begins in May, I plan to do blog updates daily. The trip down Route 66 will take about two weeks, plus the time it take us to drive from our homes (Ohio, Phoenix, and Florida/N.Carolina). All the developments can be seen at the "BLOG" button on our website. www.c3on66.org

What kind of help am I asking from the FFR Community? Well, certainly donations to our charities will be appreciated (!), but there are other ways we could use help. If you live along the Route 66 corridor, and have a space we could crash for a night, that would really help. We might need mechanical help (I think I built a good car, but who knows...?!), so a contact for assistance would be great. We've never done this drive before, and could use recommendations for best sights to see, places to eat, cool car stuff to see or do. Possibly someone out there could organize a local Cobra/SportsCar get together at a diner or bar or etc. where we could meet and hang with some of the FFR faithful along the way. Any ideas how we can spread the word about this fund raiser project? I've never done this kind of thing before so will really appreciate any constructive ideas.

Thanks for your patience reading this post, and your interest in our project. I'll add more detail as it develops.

John Phillips
    From 1996 built a Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4, and rebuilt a Challenge Racer
    Love the Roadsters!
    Last edited by John Phillips; 01-25-2024 at 08:17 PM.