Last Winter John Ibele was good enough to give my daughter and I a quick lesson in powder coating(thanks again John!). I really was intrigued with the process and ordered up an Eastwood kit, some powder (black in flat, semi, and gloss) and started playing around with it. I would say about 80% of the items come out right the first time 10% need a touch of paint to cover some small nook, and 10% need to be stripped and coated again. Those numbers are improving but I'm pretty happy with the results. But there has been a bit of learning.

First... Acid. I tried using Muriatic Acid to strip the chrome from parts. It worked in some cases. In others it dissolved the pot metal that was under a thin layer of some other metal. So for anyone else out there the Lemans cap (I did not ruin), the mirror post, and the lock bases are pot metal... Don't use Muriatic Acid to clean or un-coat them.

The bubbles mean something is happening it if looks like it's boiling pull out whatever is in there.

Actual Metal parts come out great

Pot metal... Yikes

One of the skills I'm getting better at is making funking hooks to haning the parts on. Here is a front turn signal bezel.

Anyway I have about 10 more parts to do and 1 to re-do and then on to the next thing. The Windshield and headlight bezels are to big for my oven so those will get sent out.