Seems options for color on our 818's has been a discussion topic lately, so figured I would make a thread laying out the options.

First option is to do a little buffing on the factory gel-coat if you are ok with red. This option is great because it's free and requires the less work than the other DIY options.

Option #2 is to take the car to be professionally painted. Depending where you go, this can be pretty cheap ($500 or so at Maaco) or very expensive ($3000+) if you want a truly high quality paint job with custom colors such as my favorite (Porsche Atlas Grey). Option 2B is to paint the car yourself, this all depends on your skill, tools, and facilities as to how cheap/expensive it will be and how nice it will come out.

Option #3 is vinyl wrapping. This is very popular today because it allows you to change colors at will and if you can do it yourself it's very cheap $250 for cheap vinyl or about $500 for high quality 3M vinyl. Having a shop do it will cost you anywhere from $1500-$3000 depending on the shop. This is especially useful if you want a matte color or some crazy chrome like color. Durability is questionable, some say it's lasted them a few years and still looks great, others I've seen say it looked bad within a year. I think this depends how your car is stored, where it is parked most of the time, and if you daily drive it.

Option #4 is called Plasti-Dip. I don't know much about this particular option, it appears to be essentially a spray on material that ends up with a vinyl-like consistency. Perhaps a good alternative to vinyl wrap, especially on our cars since all body panels can be removed and sprayed without having to worry about masking anything off. This has the potential to be the cheapest option here, but also the most troublesome. You can do a full size car for less than $200. Here is a video showing the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jayyTUy3GTw

DISCUSS!