Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Turn flasher is not working

Post Thanks / Like

Turn flasher is not working

Hey Everyone, I'm a new kid on the block and I'm working right now with my dash board setup.
    I have a Russ Thompson turn signal and a Ron Francis wiring kit. I have already viewed and followed the diagram that Russ provided to hook up the RT turn signal to the RF wiring.

I did everything except hook up the flasher button to the high/low beam because I will be using it as the horn button.

Here's my problem. When I turn on the headlamp switch (factory five model) all four corners light up. When I activate left or right turn, there is no action from any lights. The lights only flash when I activate the harzard switch.

Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong because man I'm pulling out all my hair with this step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have the flasher in place? There is one for directional and one for hazards. If so then move on to the fuse. What wiring harness are you using?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a Ron Francis wiring harness which came with a turn signal flasher and a hazard flasher and both are in place. I checked the fuse and all is good.
    But still not working correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok jump the power wire going to the RT turn signal to either directional wire and see if they work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wiring Schematics -- Sheet 05.jpg

The turn signals will not work without the hazard switch. See discussion below.

The attached schematic shows how the turn signal works on my 33 Hot Rod. I used the Ron Francis harness and the steering column (Ididit) that came with the kit. Such detailed drawings were not provided so I "reverse engineered" it to develop this schematic and understand how it works. I don't know if it is the same as the products you are using but I bet its is similar so perhaps this will benefit you. At least it is a start point.

The power flow starts at the top left of the sketch. The power for the turn signals passes through the ignition switch -- the power for the flashers bypasses the switch so the flashers can be operated when the key is not in the ignition. The power then feeds passes through the flasher modules where it is converted to a square wave (ON-OFF-ON) to flash the lights. The power for the brake lights comes from the same fuse that feeds the flashers but bypasses the hazard flasher module so the lights don’t flash when you hit the brakes.

From the top left of the sketch three wires feed the power to the steering column.
    ORG – feeds solid power to the brake switch. Then, continues to the steering column as a white wire.
    GRY – Intermittent (flashing) power to the turn selector.
    PINK - Intermittent (flashing) power to the Hazard selector.

Now you need to understand what “Normally Open” and “Normally Closed” contact means. On the sketch, the Normally Open contacts are shown as two parallel lines. Think of it as light switch that is turned off - power can’t flow through the switch. The Normally Closed contacts are shown as two parallel lines with a diagonal line slashing through them. Think of it as light switch that is turned on - power can flow through the switch.

Normal means the normal state of the switch. For example, look at the turn selector. Normally, power can flow through the normally closed contacts. If you hit the brakes, solid power coming in on the WHT wire passes right through the turn selector enroute to both the left and right turn lights. If you select a left turn, the upper (Left) contacts change state – the Normally Closed contact opens and the Normally Open contact closes. The power from the brake switch is interrupted and instead, the flashing power coming in on the GRY wire is passed through enroute to the left turn lights.

The signal then goes to the Hazard switch. The outputs from the hazard switch go directly to the turn lamps. The hazard switch selects what power to send to the lights. Normally (when the Hazard lights are not turned on) the normally closed contacts pass through the Left/Right signal from the turn selector. When the hazard switch is engaged, the contacts change state and the signals from the turn selector are interrupted and instead the flashing power coming in on the PINK wire passes through.

Note that the tail lights have two lamp circuits – one brighter than the other. The dimmer lights are the park lights and are not shown on this sketch. The brighter lights are used for both the brake lights and the turn signals.

This sketch is one of many I developed for my 33 Hot Rod. I have them all in a single PDF file if you want it. Unfortunately, the forum for some reason does not allow attachment of a PDF file so if you want it, send me a PM with your email address.