Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member in Albany, NY area

Post Thanks / Like

Cool New member in Albany, NY area

Hi-
    New member of the forum here. I'm in the Albany, NY area & looking to possibly get in touch with other who have completed or in-process of building a Cobra roadster. Haven't taken the plunge myself yet but very interested in ordering the a complete roadster kit. With full-time job and responsiblities associated with 3 young kids, wife, and house, there's not much time or $$$ left to devote to this project.

Joined this forum (and others) to read up on as much info as possible, make some local connections, see what challenges others have experienced, etc. Always loved the Cobra since I was a kid & a neighbor built a "kit car" replica back in the early '80s. Not particularly interested in the finished product being true to the '60s Cobras. I my mind I envision basically a new sports car. Also, not interested in ever taking it onto a race track or quarter mile. The overall size & weight of the car should blow the doors off virtually anything else on the road with the output of a Coyote crate engine.

Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Should also mention some of my specific concerns... 1) Would love info on how to register in NY state (or Connecticut). 2) Anyone have experience with custom interior? Not a huge fan of the basic flat dash panel & bare bones interior of the roadster. 3) Advice on fiberglass body work. Not likely to do any mdoifications or paint work myself as my brother has a body shop in CT. 4) Basic skills necessary to actually build an entire car? As an engineer whose father & brother are mechanics & someone has worked on cars since my early teens ('63 Falcon, '70 Chevelle, '80 Z/28, many 2nd gen Camaros, lots of '80s Ford pickups/Broncos) I think I'm capable.

Alex

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! There are quite a few FFR's in the area. I know some of them will be trying to get to Guptils tonight. They usually park up on the grass by the tree line so stop by if you can make it and introduce yourself. I'm planning on being there but making the "walk of shame" from the spectator parking lot (long story). Pat W. keeps a master email list of local people so we can stay informed of garage nights and cruises. Don't have his exact username handy, but send me a pm and I can get you incontact with him if he doesn't see this post.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the madness Alex,

This weekend, there will be a bunch of us at Lake George from Thurs - Sun doing an event we call the Summer Run. We'll be staying at Ft William Henry if you can make it down for a day. Check out the Northeast forum, for details.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex,

Welcome, we have a great group of owners in the Albany area. I can help you with any questions about registering an FFR properly through NYS. Not really hard, you just have to follow what they want down to the letter. I know of two Mark IV's and a dinosaur Mark III being built in the Capital District.

Registration Process in NYS

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/50-insu...n-process.html

Meet some of the gang...

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/24-nort...latham-ny.html

Local Cobra History

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...-roll-bar.html

Send me a PM, you are more than welcomed to stop over and see my Mark III

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the welcome...

I missed Guptill's this past Monday as I was in St. Peter's for another surgury. I sort of lost a fight with 100' oak tree on 6/21. I successfully "topped" off about 80' feet but got thrown from the ladder in the process. Busted bones my left leg/ankle/foot & right shoulder. I had to go back in Monday intoTuesday for the final (hopefully) repair to the foot as the docs felt swelling had decreased sufficiently.

I'm no computer guru but I'll try the links above to get in touch with some of you other local guys.

Also, not sure if I can make it up to the Lake George area. I did hear that there's usually a good turnout at the Curtis Lumber car show this coming Sunday, 7/14. I am planning to go to that show, assuming weather is good.

Alex