Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adjustable suspension for the street

Post Thanks / Like

Adjustable suspension for the street

I was reading the write up on the racing of the 818R and they said that the suspension was messed up from the wind tunnel testing and once they fixed it the car handled much better. From what I've read the 818S will also have adjustable suspension. My question is, how idiot proof is the suspension adjustment for the street car? The race team didn't know the suspension was out of adjustment until they got it on the scales and these guys know what they are doing. How am I supposed to adjust mine to get the proper handling withing killing myself in the process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally you find a baseline and then do adjustments from there. It really isn't hard to do. Once it's set for your likes you really never need to mess with it.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds good, but how do you find a baseline safely. You can't really find out how it performs without finding its limits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically you just follow the instructions, set the ride height and get the front end aligned. The race team was trying to set the cross weights and balance set for track performance.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you familiar with corner balancing? If you find a local alignment shop that will do corner balancing and set the alignment to FFR's recommended specs (do we have those yet?), then you can make changes from there. Autocross and track regulars will often do their own alignments, so you could probably find people to help do it yourself even. The scales are expensive and not something you'd want to buy, but maybe renting/borrowing them would be possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    Are you familiar with corner balancing? If you find a local alignment shop that will do corner balancing and set the alignment to FFR's recommended specs (do we have those yet?), then you can make changes from there. Autocross and track regulars will often do their own alignments, so you could probably find people to help do it yourself even. The scales are expensive and not something you'd want to buy, but maybe renting/borrowing them would be possible.

Here are the alignment specs align.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    @Bob, got that from the manual?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    @Bob, got that from the manual?
    Yep. Appendix D: Alignment and Ride Height.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's my take on "idiot proofing" suspension. It's kind of like EFI. When you set it up stock for the street, adjust it and forget it. But if you decide you want more there is a very steep learning curve to make it good for racing. Suspension is the same way. Set it up like in the numbers given above and cruise. When you take that first step into weighing the corners (anything beyond camber, castor, and toe), you have started down a very slippery slope!! $$$, scales, computer programs, components............... There's no easing into it. IMO, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you want your own scales with out spending lot of money check out Ruggles Scales. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/098.pdf. The are less than $500 and work well but do take longer to use and you have to do all the math. I used these for many years with good results. I marked each piece of mine as to which wheel position they go to so that I could set them up the same each time. As a matter of fact I think I may still have mine but one of the scaled needs to be replaced I think.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    If you measure your 4 spring lengths. Know you spring rate and suspension geometry.
    Can you calculate each corner weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Measuring the spring length to check corner weight is an interesting idea which I never thought about but should get you close. If you start by fallowing the FFR manual at set each spring collars to where each spring is just snug and adjust front and rear pairs the same from there it should be close but there are some variables. There is a tolerance on spring length so four 8 inch long springs may not all be exactly 8 inches long. Springs rates for any given rate will vary. A spring marked as 250 pound spring may check out to be 237 pounds or 265 pounds. Some springs come with the actual test rate etched into the end of the last coil but you don’t know what method was used to check the rate. Eibach rates there springs between two points and some rate the spring on how much pressure it takes to compress the spring the first inch. This link gives some good info. http://performance-suspension.eibach...sion_worksheet . But for the average street driven car this method should be close enough. The next time I set a car up I will definitely check to see how close the springs length is to each other.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill