As I mentioned in my last post, we ran into some problems getting the steering rack installed. I am providing a fairly detailed description of the problem and how we solved it in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Our steering rack is different from both the '02-'04 and '05-'07 steering racks the kit was designed for. If you look at the following pictures, you will notice two differences.

1. The mounting ears on the gear casting are different heights
2. The line routing is different. The two fittings on the cylinder are on opposite sides of the rack

IMG_0337.jpg IMG_0335.jpg

Not noticeable by looking is the fact that the rack is 2.8 turns lock-to-lock instead of the normal 3.

We aren't sure how our 2005 WRX ended up with this rack, but it did. I suspect either an aftermarket replacement or for some reason the previous owner chose to put a Legacy rack on it. The reason I say it could possibly be a Legacy rack is because the placement of the fittings and 2.8 turns lock-to-lock seems to match what would be on a Legacy.

With the configuration of the mounting ears, the rack sits just a bit higher above the mounts on the chassis and no combination of the provided spacers and rack bracket would mount this rack straight in the chassis.

After a bit of pondering, measuring (and a phone call to Wayne )we determined that if we put a spacer under the shorter ear of the casting, the FFR provided bracket would hold the rack in the correct place if it were installed on top of the chassis rather than under it as specified by FFR. Here is the rack with the bracket under it on the bench:

IMG_0339.jpg
You'll have to excuse my hand in the picture.

So with measurements in hand I made the following parts:

1. A spacer to go under the 2nd bushing of the casting. Spacer dimensions are 1.4" x 1.4" x .325" It's the black square in the picture below. The 1.4" dimension isn't critical. The bushing is about 1.125 in diameter so it just needs to be a bit larger than that.

2. 2 spacers for the other end of the rack. One is 1.25" long and the other is 1.5" long. These were made from .75 rod since I didn't have any tube of appropriate wall thickness. The holes aren't perfectly in the center, but the wall thickness is more than the FFR provided spacers even at the smallest point so I didn't worry about it. These are the two parts at the right in the below picture.

IMG_0340.jpg

The bottom bolt on the passenger side mount needed a longer bolt. 2.75" would be adequate, but 3" was all I had on hand.

These parts, along with the FFR bracket placed on top of the chassis resulted in this:

IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg

The rack is perfectly parallel with the chassis in both planes and appears to be well centered as well. We didn't pull the boots off to see precisely how well it's centered, but it looks pretty close.

We will trim the length of the one bolt to provide clearance for the bolt that is used to attach the radiator support.

If anyone runs into the same or similar problem, I hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Larry