FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: H pattern vs Sequential

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like

Question H pattern vs Sequential

all I have ever dealt with are H pattern transaxles... looking to hear from those of you "in the know" on the pros & cons of each....

I'm planning on going with a 6 speed trans when I build my GTM... I have a ballpark idea of the gearing I want but wood like some input on the differences & uses of the H pattern vs the Sequential

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your GTM going to be a street car or a track only car? If it's going to see any street use then the sequential box is not the best option. They are harsh and noisy for street use.
    Last edited by Kempo; 12-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sequential gearboxes require quite a bit of maintenance, as well, which makes them less than idea for the street. I would have to agree with Kempo, if your GTM is going to be street driven, a H pattern is probably a better option for your build.

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys...
    I have a HOT VW powered rail with "Liberty Pro" (syncro-less) gears, they require HARD/FAST shifts... I live way out in the sticks (over a hour drive in any direction to a city of any size) so "city" driving is not really an issue unless I want to drive the car to the track for a run.... which I have done but prefer to trailer it.... (it's a lonnnng walk home if/when you break something you can't fix trackside)... not worried about a bit louder box nor the harder shifts but if the sequential box is going to require more maintenance on a regular basis tends to push me more towards the H pattern.. stick with the demons ya know....

JT

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well opinions vary on the timing for rebuilding of a sequential, but nearly all will agree that it is without a doubt quite a bit more often.

I do think that it depends on which one you use, as certainly this will dictate at very least how much in cost a rebuild is going to be.

I love the concept of sequentially shifted gearboxes, but for the GTM I still tend to recommend that H pattern.

Let me know if I can be of help to you, as I do have recommendations for both options.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be true to say that a big part of the rebuild factor for sequential transmissions has more to do with the engagement method than the fact that they are sequential, as I believe most sequential boxes are non-synchronized? Assuming both are used similarly, wouldn't a dog ring or face plated transmission with an H pattern shifter require similar maintenance to typical non-synchronized sequential? Actually, are there any synchronized sequential options available?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithBoden View Post
    Actually, are there any synchronized sequential options available?
    I have a buddy that owns a company that has been building shifters for some of the biggest names in aftermarket parts, and also sells conversion kits for H patterned transmissions. I don't think he currently does a Porsche box, but I actually have a Mendeola that used to be an H pattern that is running the system and it works really well. This is not the full sequential that PDG runs in the FFR PDG GTM race car, but it has served me well in the desert in an off road vehicle.

Here's the contact info:

http://www.bing.com/local/Details.aspx?lid=YN94x1281894

Owners name is Steve. Tell him Mike sent you.

You can see plenty of videos and places that retail them by googling "AJ speed shift".
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I have a buddy that owns a company that has been building shifters for some of the biggest names in aftermarket parts, and also sells conversion kits for H patterned transmissions. I don't think he currently does a Porsche box, but I actually have a Mendeola that used to be an H pattern that is running the system and it works really well. This is not the full sequential that PDG runs in the FFR PDG GTM race car, but it has served me well in the desert in an off road vehicle.

Here's the contact info:

http://www.bing.com/local/Details.aspx?lid=YN94x1281894

Owners name is Steve. Tell him Mike sent you.

You can see plenty of videos and places that retail them by googling "AJ speed shift".

so this is a fully syncroed sequential (forward for up-shift, rearward for down-shift???) how about reverse????