Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Intakes?

So what's been done for intakes? Obviously nobody's going to use the OEM airbox. Does a standard aftermarket short ram intake with cone filter fit in the engine compartment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that EVERY aftermarket intake will require a tune to be correct with the exception of the COBB. We have dyno tested several makes and they are all lean. Just a heads up.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Perrin (came with the donor).

EDIT: I should add my donor made very good hp on the dyno before being wrecked.
    Last edited by Xusia; 11-29-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SixStar View Post
    Keep in mind that EVERY aftermarket intake will require a tune to be correct with the exception of the COBB. We have dyno tested several makes and they are all lean. Just a heads up.
    Thanks for the input, but that applies to pretty much any 818, since I doubt anyone will try to fit the Subaru box. I'm thinking of getting a Cobb access port v3, and so the Cobb short ram would be a natural, since I could start with an OTS tune. I know discussing intakes can be a can or worms, and I don't want to go into performance issues; My main concern is fit/interference in the engine compartment, and if anyone who's installed their motor yet can comment on clearance.

Thanks,

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know on the Cobb intake as that is the one I just ordered along with the COBB Sylicone hose. They are on sale and it appears to be valid wherever they are sold.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you want an intake that doesn't require a tune?

Get one that makes the car run the leanest. Then correct with fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with the OEM intake pipe (it's a pipe not a tube), the part where the MAF sensor sits, it is a good idea to get tuned for it. That is, update the MAF table. That way the ECU has a better idea of how much air is actually getting to the cylinders. Same goes for the Cobb or any other MAF pipe. Run too rich and you're leaving power on the table and just wasting fuel. Run too lean and, boom.

Get a tune, even if your just going 100% stock. There's additional power and fuel economy to be found just tuning the ECU.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I went ahead an ordered a Cobb short ram intake on a black friday special... hopefully it won't interfere with anything in the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am waiting on my kit, and I haven't thought this through, but there is something to be said for isolating where the intake air comes from and having the air as cool as possible. In my STI I picked up my air from in front of the right front wheel.
    On the 818 I think air might be directed into a custom box, much like the stock setup...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Cobb short cold air intake for sale in the parts section. Save $65 over a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D K View Post

I plan to have it tuned, but I may drive it some before then and I would prefer not having it run lean during that time.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobb tunes, especially their basic canned ones, for mild mods, tend to be rich; like real rich. If that is not good enough, get your tuner to send you a tune for driving to him to have it tuned. It should be a safe, conservative tune that will not get you in trouble. They should know what to give you. From a Cobb tune to a dyno-tune my gas mileage went 4 mpg to the better.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want power obviously you need it tuned.

Why not wait for the install until you get it tuned?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting info from MRT on intakes as part of their staged builds.
    Apart from dealing with cars with the steering wheel on the correct side, the right, the info should be relevant
    cold air intakes are the first thing to replace on 2001 to 2005's, but not so important on 2006 and 2007's ????
    http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/fil...RX-MY01-05.pdf
    http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/fil...RX-MY06-07.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2005 Legacy GT. There has been a lot of testing and tuning on intakes and basically Subaru did a fantastic job on that intake. There have been a few instances of actually losing power after changing intakes (With a compensated tune) Basically put a K&N filter in it and you are done. Most of the other intakes allow to much extra heat to get in and that is the primary loss of power. I thought I read it was about 350-400 WHP where you may be able to start seeing any difference for an aftermarket intake on the Legacy GT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HelluvaEngineer View Post
    Basically put a K&N filter in it and you are done.
    Well, that's what I typically do (just put a K&N panel in the factory airbox) but the 818 is clearly a different case. First, I don't have my donor's airbox, and I don't think this:

intake.jpg

would be practical in the 818 anyway!

I'll use the CObb short ram intake, and may build a box, or add ducting from the fender intake to feed it fresh air. This may or may not be necessary, since in the 818 the radiator won't be heating the air in front of the intake.

I started the thread to hopefully get some input and photos from builders that have already gotten to this point and see what they've done.

Post Thanks / Like
    is there room in the 818 to keep the main box for the panel filter (part 7 in the diagram) and ditch parts labeled 9 and 10? Then maybe just route ducting to the circular intake in part 7 from one of the openings in the right side of the car?

On my 2002, I had removed parts 9 and 10 anyway (part 10 is a silencer that was eliminated in later years, not sure exactly when).

Or, perhaps part 9 could somehow be attached directly to part 7 and line up with one of the intakes on the side of the car (with some creative trimming to part 9, of course)

(hopefully if you read this twice it will make sense)
    Last edited by billjr212; 12-03-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I get what you're saying, and that would be a nice resuse of parts. But it's hard to tell from photos if it'll fit, and I haven't installed the motor or body yet to see how much room is left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even with the Cobb, you need a tune. In my case, this is via Eric of Torqued Performance, who tuned my '13 WRX.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's an interesting generational difference these days - ask someone over 35 about intakes, they start talking aluminum manifolds bolted to the engine. Younger, it's about the air filter box and tubing leading to the MAF.

Here's the older perspective on intakes: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2229576

Just suggesting there's more to it than the air cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    There's an interesting generational difference these days - ask someone over 35 about intakes, they start talking aluminum manifolds bolted to the engine. Younger, it's about the air filter box and tubing leading to the MAF. ... Just suggesting there's more to it than the air cleaner.
    I've run into that so much on STI forums; getting back into cars after a hiatus. I always thought headers were what comes off the heads. Now it seems like they're exhaust manifolds; not to be confused with up-pipe, down-pipe, mid-section and rear pipe.
    For me, right now it's suspension parts. People throw around all kinds of descriptors. Is it a knuckle, a bearing mount, an upright or a wheel bearing housing. I could go on... Which one wins? The one with the most Google hits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how everyone is confirming the need for a "tune", but no one has answered the question of whether or not there is room around all the 818 frame rails for an intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoretta View Post
    Interesting how everyone is confirming the need for a "tune", but no one has answered the question of whether or not there is room around all the 818 frame rails for an intake.
    See if this helps. He says he extended the intake tube so it puts the filter right in the vent on the passenger side. There's a picture of the CAI.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's room for the intake on the side. I think Metalmaker has some pictures showing how it fits.

I have a Cobb too if anyone is interested. Filter needs cleaning but i'll let it go for cheap.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D K View Post

This should be: "Get the one that flows the most air then re-scale the MAF sensor appropriately." You want an accurate MAF reading so you always hit your targets even in varying weather. Just spot-tuning the fuel maps to target lower AFR's than you want to read on your wideband O2 sensor isn't going to remain accurate in all conditions. I.E. trying to target 10.9:1 AFR at WOT so that your wideband reads 11.5 is not a viable solution to leaning out due to popping on a different intake with a bigger MAF housing. Re-scaling the MAF sensor tables so that when you target 11.5:1 you hit 11.5:1 IS THE viable solution as it will be more accurate when weather/pressure/temperature/humidity change. Those can have a very large effect when you're shoving tons of compressed air into an engine.

There's actually an automated tool for doing this on RomRaider.
    http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...7d1f36df096a45

Not sure about Cobb but they have a fairly good database of MAF scale values for different intakes, even if it's from the Cobb forums.
    Last edited by BrandonDrums; 12-12-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    my donor came with Injen per owner it was tuned, all forum and wrx owners said intake will loose low end torque but gain high end, I'll just keep it on the car for now.

but since the intercooler is off is good idea to replace the hoses, and stick with Mishimoto or Samco, helps the turbo spool up faster
    Last edited by pt00323i; 12-20-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think about this flexible/ custom intake from K & N?
    Dru
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=RC-5052AR

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DruOdil View Post
    Dru
    Looks interesting if you want to try ducting from the fender intake. You would need a way to mount the MAF sensor somewhere, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DruOdil View Post
    Dru
    If you note in the description it says it is rated for 350 bhp (for a turbo motor), so it seems small if you are looking for over 300 hp at the wheels.