Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Project Plan Collateral?

Post Thanks / Like

Project Plan Collateral?

I had a lull in my build waiting on components that seemed to be on the critical path. However I wasn't sure that was true.

Then it occurred to me that i had broken the cardinal rule of any project. I had begun without a real project plan. I had a manual in my hand, a scope with a rough budget and an open ended timeline.

1. The Manual is what it is and is well supplemented by the two Forums. However it takes a great amount of time to compile the required information in reference to a new Build.
    2. The Scope was completed in the procurement phase which drove a rough Budget.
    3. The Timeline is open ended to reduce stress and foster enjoyment, but shouldn't encompass repeating steps because of non planning and idle time from uncertainty.

To alleviate this I am going to put together a Project Build Plan.

It will have detailed tasks to the point of being realistic and pragmatic. The tasks will be time categorized as Short, Medium and Long as to not make Time the focus. Resources will be assigned to determine what is being outsourced or if assistance is required and if batching is practical and doable. The tool is to highlight critical paths and dependencies of tasks to save effort and repetition and potentially cost.
    It has to be easy to use and not a burden on the build.

I personally plan on attaching all my notes, references, web-links, forum snips, pictures, components manuals, etc to it.

With that being said, does anyone have any rough outlines that they have worked out for their builds in terms of tasks. Its always better and easier to leverage past collateral. Please let me know before I start pulling them out of Coupe Forum Builds, Blogs ,etc. It will make it much easier to develop
    Any format will do.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Larry,

I always harp on a plan for these types of projects. With being said:

What type of outline works well for you?

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a build checklist on the "other" forum under FAQ. It's old and it's for the roadster but that might be a good place to start. HTH
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not take the time spent on your plan and just build the car?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Chris.

Craig, Its not a lot of time for the plan. The manual is terrible. Regardless of that I am doing quite a few modifications. I have to think these through. My memory sucks. So to compensate I will document my thoughts in a plan.

I visited a custom builder yesterday. They put together some great cars, things like Eleanor 68 Shelby Mustangs, SuperSnakes etc. All of their builds have project plans. Also from personal experience successful projects all have one.

Being organized doesn't necessarily mean taking the FUN out of the project, it just helps guarantee its success.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry,

It sounds like what you’re really looking for is a type of WBS that goes with your project plan.

When I start this type of car project, the first decision I make is, what do I intend this car to do/be. Examples: Going to track it? Is it going to be used as a show or trailer queen? Use it going to the store for milk? Weekend drives? Going to see a fair amount of highway driving?

For me this is what drives the direction of what I need to get, and do, to items like parts etc.

I consider these FFR builds as: Overall Project with two major component projects: Chassis and Body (which includes interior)

When working on the chassis component, I like to break it down into three sections.

Front Section:

Middle Section:

Back End Section:

Then I build the task lists for each section.

Pick a section to start, choose whatever section makes sense to you to start with first, decide what section you what to tackle second, decide the last section.

Something to consider is the flow of work. For me what that means is, the section I start with, when I’m finish with that section, my work progress should flow right into the next section, hopefully seamlessly) I then stay in that section till all tasks are completed, and documented.

The same outline I apply to the body component as well.

I know that this is the “cliff notes” version , but I hope this helps and if you want to know more, just let me know, or the other forum members can fill in more information

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ron,

That is basically the way I have outlined it now. The order for the sections make themselves evident on their own, sometimes going against what you might have first thought after you lay it out on paper.

Thanks for confirming of my overall thought process.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron-

Have you considered spending a bit of time speaking with one of our group that has built a handful of these cars?

The reason I ask is that I am sure that each of them has more than a few ideas on how to make the build go smoother, or which steps should be done in a different order for myriad reasons. I suspect these folks would be a very helpful resource as you get ready to sit down and begin this project. I also know that most of these guys have a wealth of specific knowledge and I have not heard of one of them yet, who wouldn't happily share their experiences!

Not trying to step on your toes, just trying to hopefully provide an idea...

I think an undertaking like this could prove quite useful! Good luck going forward.

Regards,

Steve