FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remote battery posts and cutoff switch

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Remote battery posts and cutoff switch

If the battery is mounted in the FF location below the gas tank, remote posts for jump starting are necessary. Also, a cutoff switch is useful for winter storage so the battery does not have to be disconnected - difficult where it is mounted. Any suggestions as to where to mount the posts and switch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can see my remote terminals on my build page, mounted in the trunk. Might be on the other forum. Disconnect switch is located, within reach, behind the drivers seat.

Tim Whittaker
    kootenaicalleycustoms.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I put my cutoff switch behind the passenger seat. I have also purchased jumper terminals that I will probably put somewhere toward the rear of the car below the trunk so I can easily connect my battery conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Switch is behind the seat, terminals in the trunk.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I put switch in trunk (removable key type). I also relocated battery to trunk. I put a resetable 5 amp breaker across switch so radio holds settings... But if someone tried to start breaker pops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I put remote terminals on passenger side underneath behind rear tire they are easy to get to and out of the way

Post Thanks / Like
    Remote battery terminals in the trunk. Battery cut off switch in the cockpit directly under where the dash meets up with the tranny tunnel.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys can put it under the right side of the dash right bye the starter solenoid so the positive cable is short.. Tony@ffr

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you plan on using the car on the track, I think it has to be in sight. Not sure about that but I believe there was a comment to that effect on the roadster side of the forum ?
    Last edited by Tim Whittaker; 01-15-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you run NHRA the master disconnect has to be at the rearmost part of the car and clearly marked for On and Off. You can use a bracket and mount it on the underside of the body at the back. I am putting a master disconnect in the cab too, beside the fire pull handle in the console. To be NHRA legal the master disconnect must kill all electrical functions and if they test it they will check that the car shuts off when they turn the switch to off. In order for this to work you either have to kill the field wire to the alternator (if you use an alternator like that) or route the key switch through the master disconnect as well.

Another possible location for battery terminals is on the passenger side near the motor mounts with the power side run to the starter power and the ground to the chassis.

-Matthew